PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on google and open source.

rwltrz4
January 30th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Been doing the google thing for some time now, picasa, google apps, now google storage and while I initially jumped the google wagon it was because it wasnt winblows or apple however lately it seems to becoming yet another big wig corp feeling to it just looking to use you for advertising, not sure how how i feel and not really judging yet just wanted to see how others here that are into linux because of the open source and screwing the corps feel about google. not trying to stir nothing up just curious. that said right now i have gmail,picasa, paid 20 bucks for 80 gigs of xtra space for backing up videos and pics, but now it seems my life revolves around google not sure if thats a good thing or not

JDShu
January 30th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Well, Google is, of course, a corporation. I haven't heard any news of anticompetitive practices yet so it doesn't worry me right now.

dearingj
January 30th, 2010, 10:39 PM
I've always been wary of using Google for anything other than searching the Web. I don't like trusting personal data to third parties, especially big corporations. I have, however, recently switched to Gmail because they offer more reliable service and better features than Comcast's email servers.

pwnst*r
January 30th, 2010, 11:24 PM
Recurring -->

5dolla
January 30th, 2010, 11:40 PM
recurring -->
+1

squilookle
January 30th, 2010, 11:59 PM
I think its hard to know what's really going on, or how much you can trust Google with your data, because there are lot's of contrasting accounts on the web, including peoples opinions being presented as fact, etc.

Basically, they provide good, reliable, easy to use and convenient services.
I'm currently using gmail. android and search.

rwltrz4
January 31st, 2010, 01:42 AM
yea its hard to tell I guess, I also read that firefox has ditched google and made a new post for that.....My prediction is in the very soon future you will have microsoft, apple, google/chromium, ubuntu (maybe partnering with yahoo?).

I am probably way off but who knows I know ubuntu has come far in a quick time, I just hope it keeps focus and doesnt become another microsoft or apple

so far so good and one incredible thing of ubuntu is the community
for sure, and of course the freedom

k64
January 31st, 2010, 01:56 AM
Well, here's the list of open source projects Google has in place:

http://code.google.com/hosting/projects.html

In this list, you'll find two operating systems, a browser, and Google Data, not to mention Google Earth API and Gears. There is also Google Desktop in the mix. This shows you guys just how much Google embraces FOSS.

Zoot7
January 31st, 2010, 02:34 AM
In this list, you'll find two operating systems, a browser, and Google Data, not to mention Google Earth API and Gears. There is also Google Desktop in the mix. This shows you guys just how much Google embraces FOSS.
You make it sound like Google care about open source out of the good of their own hearts. To Google, open source is a tool that they use to make profit, nothing more, nothing less. You're kidding yourself to believe otherwise.