PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Troubleshooting for a Noob

hot_dog_theory
January 30th, 2010, 07:43 PM
Hi,

Today I have set Karmic Koala on dual-boot on my pc. After an aftertoon seeking solutions to annoying problems on the net, I am still experiencing some troubles. Could kindly user give advices ?

First of all, I can't read DVD with the native karmic player, even with restricted components for unbutu installed. With Dragon Player too. VLC installed through synaptic is unable to navigate through dvd menu and stop after advertisment, worth is unable to display any sequence. However, the basic VLC executable is able to read the test dvds on windows operating System.

Then, I read several threads about streaming bad quality on utube, daylimotion and megavideo and the Flash player and free equivalent, but I do not find any solution.

This installation of a GNU/Linux OS aim is to a simple use as media center with video playback, streaming, music and internet.

I am quite amazing by the difficulty to achieve this goal for a novice user like me, could someone help?

(I apologized for my language skills, I not a native speaker)

Leppie
January 30th, 2010, 08:07 PM
hi and welcome to the community,

First of all, I can't read DVD with the native karmic player, even with restricted components for unbutu installed. With Dragon Player too. VLC installed through synaptic is unable to navigate through dvd menu and stop after advertisment, worth is unable to display any sequence. However, the basic VLC executable is able to read the test dvds on windows operating System.
i don't know what you've done already, but i'll post you the instructions to use dvd's:

sudo apt-get install libdvdread4
sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh

Then, I read several threads about streaming bad quality on utube, daylimotion and megavideo and the Flash player and free equivalent, but I do not find any solution.
have a look at the media how to: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683

This installation of a GNU/Linux OS aim is to a simple use as media center with video playback, streaming, music and internet.
it is quite straightforward as there usually is no compiling etc involved. behaviour of the drivers is not always the same in linux though.
if you mainly use multimedia, etc. you could check out Linux Mint Helena which is based on Ubuntu Karmic but developed for those transitioning from windows. a lot of these things should work straight after a system install.

warfacegod
January 30th, 2010, 08:10 PM
If you are looking for a media center, perhaps Mythbuntu would be more to your liking.

Leppie
January 30th, 2010, 08:12 PM
stealin my beanses? :P

warfacegod
January 30th, 2010, 08:16 PM

Nope. Just getting one of my own. Did you think to recommend Mythbuntu?:tongue:

tom.swartz07
January 30th, 2010, 08:18 PM

I am too!

Theres a link in my signature for setting up flash (im not sure if youre using x64, but thats where majority of the streaming problems come from)

There were quite a few methods for getting flash on x64 systems, but this method works the best, in my experience.

warfacegod
January 30th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Everybody wants to get in on the act.

Leppie
January 30th, 2010, 08:31 PM
we're all addicted to ubuntu n beans :D

tom.swartz07
January 30th, 2010, 11:53 PM
we're all addicted to ubuntu n beans :D

Its like pork and beans, but better!

Hey hot_dog_theory, I hope that we at least helped?

Leppie
January 31st, 2010, 12:01 AM
Hey hot_dog_theory, I hope that we at least helped?
usually when it doesn't work, they're back really soon...

hot_dog_theory
February 1st, 2010, 07:28 AM
The how-to enable DVD play back, so I had to test it by watching plenty of dvd... Thanks for the tips. I still have some trouble with streaming, but it's not a priority for the moment.

now, I will try to install my usb tnt tuner to waste time of my boring life. QUite exciting -_-'

Leppie
February 1st, 2010, 09:33 AM
glad you got it going.
if this is solved, please set the thread to solved using the "Thread Tools"