PDA

View Full Version : just joined

rickc1970
January 30th, 2010, 07:15 PM
I just joined these forums and wanted to say hello. I just installed the newest version of Ubuntu on my laptop. It seems to work pretty well. I had an earlier version set up in a dual boot with Windows Vista. Well Vista stopped recognizing my iPod while Ubuntu still recognized it. At that point i decided to just eliminate vista from my laptop altogether.So far so good. Mainly it is just a matter of getting used to a different way of doing things.

I hope I didn't post this in the wrong place. Now my main problem is getting my wife on board so I can use Ubuntu totally on our desktop. Until then I'll have to be happy with a dual boot there.

LightB
January 30th, 2010, 07:20 PM
I think most women do not like ubuntu/linux. They seem to like mac osx.

Sporkman
January 30th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Welcome...

It's better that you let your wife keep using what she's using, otherwise you'll be the go-to blame guy for everything that goes wrong computer-wise.

Kai69
January 30th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Welcome Ive only been using ubuntu since nov 09 and the forum is a pretty good place if you have a problem .:p

markp1989
January 30th, 2010, 07:27 PM
welcome to ubuntu, dont keep on at her to change, just next time vista gives her crap offer to show her how to do the same task in ubuntu :)

chocoboyz
January 30th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Welcome to the world of Ubuntu Linux, i'm sure you won't need to turn back to Windows ever again. :)

BuffaloX
January 30th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Welcome to the forums. :D
My wife used Linux before I did.

rickc1970
January 30th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Well just from checking on the tutorial section I see I have to learn a lot of terminology...lol. But it does look like there are all kinds of cool things I can do with ubuntu. The thing I can't understand is why Ubuntu isn't used by more folks. just from using it the little bit I have it appears to be a lot more stable. Especially when most people out there only use their computers to surf the web.

Actually as far as setting things up I get flashbacks to the days of DOS 5....lol. I think people have been spoiled by plug and play. Not that Ubuntu was hard to set up but there are some things that seem to need to be done using the command line. You know you are getting old if you remember DOS 5 and conventional memory (QEMM anyone?).

nothingspecial
January 30th, 2010, 08:26 PM
I`d never used a computer `till I used linux. It was our first home pc.

I took to it like the proverbial duck because I didn`t have to unlearn the windows way of doing things.

My wife hated it as she had been using windows at work/university for years.

After about 9 or 10 months she wanted a netbook. She chose the linux version and insisted I install Ubuntu on it.

Probably, a lttle bit, because she knows I can fix it for her. But mainly, after time, she was more comfortable with it.

She calls it her computu.

I know, they`re daft aren`t they.

At least her car doesn`t have a name.....

...her hotwater bottle does though

I may figure it all out one day...

...I doubt it:confused:

jbruced
January 30th, 2010, 10:11 PM
Welcome!

My girl friend and son both just started using it with no problems.

The only issue was when I tweaked my girl friends theme and colors. She asked me to set back to the way it was.

I would spend come time WITH your wife doing basic customizing of themes and colors, so:

#1 it'll look good to her, and
#2 she will be involved in the whole process.

GL
Bruce

dragos240
January 30th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Welcome!

rickc1970
January 31st, 2010, 12:47 AM
Thanks everyone for the feedback.