PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] open windows .url files in ubuntu!

alex_o
January 30th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Old version, no multiple links in command line

#!/bin/bash
# script: winlink
# author: Alex Osborn(alex_osborn0@hotmail.com)
# date: 10 Jan 2010
# tested: Ubuntu 9.10 (amd64)
# description: Opens windows .url files in firefox, feel free to edit and use as needed just dont steal the credits!
#
if [ -f "$1" ];then
if grep URL "$1" > /dev/null;then
firefox -new-tab `grep URL "$1"|grep -iv eurl|tail -c +5`
else
echo invalid linkfile
fi
else
echo empty file
fi
exit
new version, multiple links in command line and in browser

#!/bin/bash
# script: winlink
# version: 0.2
# author: Alex Osborn(alex_osborn0@hotmail.com)
# date: 10 Jan 2010
# tested: Ubuntu 9.10 (amd64)
# description: Opens windows .url files in firefox, feel free to edit and use as needed just dont steal the credits!
#
TMP="/tmp/${0##*/}$$"
cat "$@"|grep -s URL|grep -ivs eurl > $TMP
LINE=1
MAX=`cat $TMP|wc -l`
while [ "$LINE" -le "$MAX" ];do
LINK=`head -q "$TMP" -n $LINE|tail -qn 1|tail -qc +5`
if [ -n "$LINK" ];then
firefox -new-tab "$LINK"
echo "$LINK"
fi
LINE=$((LINE+1))
done
rm $TMP
exit

1. Save the newest code to /home/USERNAME/bin/winlink.sh

chmod a+x /home/USERNAME/bin/winlink.sh

3. In the file browser navigate to a .url file or make a blank one

4. Right click, properties -> open with

5. Click Add, and navigate to /home/USERNAME/bin/winlink.sh

6. Press Open

7. Press Add and then make the default application to launch .url files be winlink

8. Close and test!

falconindy
January 30th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Neat idea, but I can't help but think this can be done in a far simpler manner. I've squeezed your script down to this:

#!/bin/bash
cat "$@" | sed -n 's/^URL=\(.*\)$/\1/p' | while read link; do
firefox -new-tab "$link"
done

alex_o
January 31st, 2010, 06:10 AM
Neat idea, but I can't help but think this can be done in a far simpler manner. I've squeezed your script down to this:

#!/bin/bash
cat "$@" | sed -n 's/^URL=\(.*\)$/\1/p' | while read link; do
firefox -new-tab "$link"
done

#!/bin/bash
cat "$@"|sed -n 's/^URL=\(.*\)$/\1/p'|while read link;do
firefox -new-tab "$link";done

tested and it allows multiple links with a terminal but the file browser only opens one of the links :(

thanks for helping though!

alex_o
February 12th, 2010, 12:59 PM
by the way this goes great with the firefox addon savelink:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/14019

GrahamM
January 20th, 2011, 05:48 AM
I have tried several approaches to this problem and I find this works just great.

One thing that puzzles me, is that I can change the names of the url files by deleting the url suffix. But the links still open???

One other thing - How would I get an Internet icon rather then the text icon for these links? I did try the other route using fx-url that is on these forums. Assogiate allows an icon to be chosen, but it does not appear on the desktop - Maybe something to do with how Assogiate and Gnome interact?

GrahamM
January 24th, 2011, 09:19 PM
I have tried several approaches to this problem and I find this works just great.

One thing that puzzles me, is that I can change the names of the url files by deleting the url suffix. But the links still open???

One other thing - How would I get an Internet icon rather then the text icon for these links? I did try the other route using fx-url that is on these forums. Assogiate allows an icon to be chosen, but it does not appear on the desktop - Maybe something to do with how Assogiate and Gnome interact?

I was able to use winlink.sh and have all links work and have a nice Internet icon associated with the links.(I created a symbolic link and called it WINLINK). I used Assogiate to associate *.url files with WINLINK. I more or less followed the method in THIS LINK (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=495131&highlight=fx-url+assogiate&page=2) post 14 items 4-8, but chose Multipurpose file for Category, Application/winlink.sh for Name, Description WINLINK and for icon, I copied one of Ooomingmaks in THIS POST (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=3276790&postcount=15) and moved it into /usr/share/icons/Humanity/mime/48/. Everything else in Assogiate is same as in Oomingmak's post.

Only other problem I had, was to strip the Default and Baseurl lines fron some of the links. Did this as outlined in THIS POST (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10377428&postcount=8)