PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] graphics card update?/ cable box

krammerak
January 30th, 2010, 07:41 AM
Here is what I have:
$ lspci

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV280 [Radeon 9200 PRO] (rev 01)

I am running ubuntu and windows 7 on this desktop (that I have had for a while). I dont think the ubuntu is taking advantage of the graphics card. When I go to change the visual effects I can only be set to None because when i try to set it to Normal or Extra it says "could not be enabled."
The exact number Is Radeon 9250. I was able to find the windows 7 driver and got it to work on there. But I'd like it to work on ubuntu as well. Any suggestions?

Also, on a side note I have a TV tuner on this desktop, Couldn't find the drivers for it on windows 7, was wondering If i could still take advantage of this? It came from evga.com -

"
Driver Version : 1.20.45 - EVGA Recommended Download
Release Date: 02/02/2005
WHQL Certified : YES
Driver File : NVTV.exe (Primary Download Link (ftp://ftp.evga.com/Driver/NVTV.exe))
Notes : THIS DRIVER FOR USE WITH MICROSOFT MEDIA CENTER EDITION 2005 ONLY

This is the same version shipped on the driver CD
This driver does not include the DVD CODEC, which must be acquired separately

"

I originally had Windows Media Center on this computer

Mark Phelps
February 1st, 2010, 10:46 PM
There is no ATI Linux driver for your card that works with Ubuntu versions newer than 8.10.

Your card is detected automatically during Ubuntu installation and the proper open source drivers are installed automatically. IF you're seeing a graphical desktop, you already have them installed.

There is no updated Linux driver that you can install.

As for the Windows 7 question, your best bet would be to go to the Windows 7 forums for answers. Check out sevenforums.com.