PDA

View Full Version : Terminator - the cool terminal

steveneddy
January 30th, 2010, 07:06 AM
Do lots of terminal work or want a cool terminal that is easy to set up and amaze your friends?

Terminator is your answer.

Not only a tabbed terminal but the cool feature is that is can be split horizontally and vertically, or both, or split with tabs.

Check out the pics and set up config files:

installed from ppa to get the newest version:

https://launchpad.net/~gnome-terminator/+archive/ppa

Set up the config files in

~/.config/terminator/config

if you don't have a terminator folder in .config then just add it and then open up the terminator folder and create an empty document and name it config.

Add these lines:

background_type = transparent

background_darkness = 0.74

enable_real_transparency = true

scrollbar_position = disabled

save the file

now make a launcher with these settings in the Command area of the launcher properties:

terminator -b -n --geometry 720x450+300+150

This will give you a transparent terminal that launches in the middle of your screen without window borders or a scroll bar.

If you need to move Terminator, since you have no window borders to grab, just Alt+left click grab the terminal and move it wherever you want.

to close, either right click and select "Exit" or simply type exit in the terminal itself and hit Enter.

Have fun

:popcorn:

Dr Belka
January 30th, 2010, 07:39 AM
I was introduced to terminator when I started using Crunchbang, and I have loved it ever since.

RiceMonster
January 30th, 2010, 08:23 AM
It's cool; I like the concept. However, every time I tried to use it, it would flicker when I hit backspace. I'll probably try it again and see if it's still doing it.

chessnerd
January 30th, 2010, 08:46 AM
That's nifty, but I actually prefer the maximize option instead of a mini-terminal in the middle of the screen. However, I'd never heard of Terminator before. I'll give it a try over the next few weeks. Terminator's got a pretty sweet concept and I'm sure I'll find a use for it.

Nevon
January 30th, 2010, 09:22 AM
Looks somewhat neat, but I prefer Guake.

mobilediesel
January 30th, 2010, 12:15 PM
It's cool; I like the concept. However, every time I tried to use it, it would flicker when I hit backspace. I'll probably try it again and see if it's still doing it.

You have to edit ~/.config/terminator/config
and add
audible_bell = true
visible_bell = false
Then it will beep instead of flash. Or you could set both to false so it wont beep or flash.

The only thing I can't figure out in terminator is how to get the delete key to act like a delete key. When I hit delete, it is interpreted as a backspace.

bluebyt
January 30th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Wow thank you, I like the tab feature!

Can I change the color of the active tab?

Rhapsody
January 30th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Similar here, but my preference is for Yakuake.

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/5341/yakuake201001302.th.png (http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/5341/yakuake201001302.png)

Being able to press F12 and see a translucent terminal literally drop down from the top of the screen is about as cool as a terminal can be in my opinion.

Hetor
January 30th, 2010, 04:38 PM
GNU Screen + Xfce4-terminal > all

RiceMonster
January 30th, 2010, 04:42 PM
You have to edit ~/.config/terminator/config
and add
audible_bell = true
visible_bell = false
Then it will beep instead of flash. Or you could set both to false so it wont beep or flash.

The only thing I can't figure out in terminator is how to get the delete key to act like a delete key. When I hit delete, it is interpreted as a backspace.

Thanks, that worked.

dragos240
January 30th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Looks rather bland. I actually like the xfce term the best.

LightB
January 30th, 2010, 04:57 PM

Same here. It's far more convenient.

steveneddy
January 31st, 2010, 01:24 AM
Wow thank you, I like the tab feature!

Can I change the color of the active tab?

The regular Gnome Terminal has tabs, too, you know.

I don't know how to change the tab colors.

More config options here:

man terminator_config

dragos240
January 31st, 2010, 01:41 AM
The regular Gnome Terminal has tabs, too, you know.

As do most terms these days.

Daisuke_Aramaki
January 31st, 2010, 02:02 AM
rxvt-unicode+tmux for me anyday with dvtm occasionally.

x33a
January 31st, 2010, 04:40 AM
This is pretty good for regular wm/de, but if you are using a tiling wm then this is pointless. also, if you are using screen, then also, not much useful.

steveneddy
May 26th, 2010, 04:22 AM
Works well with Lucid, also.

NMFTM
May 26th, 2010, 04:24 AM
Seems like that would be very useful for when you are trying to read a man page and implement the instructions at the same time. Sure, I guess you could have multiple terminal windows open, especially with a widescreen monitor. But....

Rodney9
May 26th, 2010, 06:22 AM
Guake is terrific, thanks guys, I had never heard of it.

SciFi-Bob
July 14th, 2010, 10:57 PM
Seems like that would be very useful for when you are trying to read a man page and implement the instructions at the same time. Sure, I guess you could have multiple terminal windows open, especially with a widescreen monitor. But....
Well, try tailing several log files, and at the same time have a shell open issuing commands (for example, debugging samba errors..)

it's a MUST!

Xianath
July 15th, 2010, 06:58 AM
Well, try tailing several log files, and at the same time have a shell open issuing commands (for example, debugging samba errors..)

tail -n 0 -f <file1> <file2> <file3> ... <fileN> | tee debugsession | less

Legendary_Bibo
July 15th, 2010, 07:33 AM
For this Guake terminal, do you just have to hit the tilda key and it comes down and you can use whatever?

slackthumbz
July 15th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Maybe I'm just not getting the point, what does terminator do that I can't do in screen? Also screen gives me a persistent session between logins and uses fewer system resources and it'll run in any terminal you could possibly want to use...

digitalcitizenx
July 15th, 2010, 11:32 PM
Maybe I'm just not getting the point, what does terminator do that I can't do in screen? Also screen gives me a persistent session between logins and uses fewer system resources and it'll run in any terminal you could possibly want to use...

OK - what WM? - what is the dock on top? - what is the icon style name?

please

;^)

slackthumbz
July 27th, 2010, 02:20 PM
OK - what WM? - what is the dock on top? - what is the icon style name?

please

;^)

the WM is compiz-fusion in gnome, I've just removed the gnome-panel altogether (requires a little gconf-editor jiggery pokery), the dock is Avant Window Navigator and the icon theme is 'Any Color You Like' from gnome-look.org

Zorgoth
July 29th, 2010, 03:36 AM
+1 for screen

I just use guake, gnome-terminal, and screen mostly.

Guake is great for running a command line process transparent over your whole screen so you can watch its progress while at the same time being bored and also looking at your sudoku or whatever.

Terminator does look moderately cool, and I will look into it though as a possible replacement/addition to gnome-terminal :)

The main advantages over screen would be that
a) you can click to change frames, which is moderately useful, although I normally use the keyboard to do that anyway
b) you don't clutter up your screen sessions with tasks that don't need screen
c) you can scroll with the scroll wheel/touchpad

Lucradia
July 29th, 2010, 03:47 AM
Works well with Lucid, also.

Lol, almost 6 month bump.

Zorgoth
July 29th, 2010, 03:58 AM
OK, ten minutes of experimentation and I am definitely using terminator. It does look like it is a little bit heavier than gnome-terminal, but it seems plenty fast so far.

doorknob60
July 29th, 2010, 04:56 AM
There's two terminals called terminator, here's the other: http://software.jessies.org/terminator/

I thought they were the same for a while...then I realized one was python and one was Java :P Not sure which one is better...

aikikode
December 18th, 2010, 02:15 AM
I agree - Terminator is a very handy tool in Gnome, it's a must-have when it comes to screen splitting (also I must admit KDE konsole also has such feature).

To me it has only one drawback: the style of tabs is not customizable and tab height is too much. But as it is said on its development forum they use GTK theme and not going to override it.