PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Display won't Load on a TV

chriscms
January 30th, 2010, 02:43 AM
On the back of my LCD tv I have a VGA port. So I plugged my Ubunutu computer into the TV. However when I turn to the input all I get is a message that says mode not supported. I am not sure why its not working because I have an old monitor that plugs into the same VGA port and the display loads on that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jaysin
January 30th, 2010, 05:27 AM
On the back of my LCD tv I have a VGA port. So I plugged my Ubunutu computer into the TV. However when I turn to the input all I get is a message that says mode not supported. I am not sure why its not working because I have an old monitor that plugs into the same VGA port and the display loads on that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You need to give us more info in order for us to help you. Just having the right physical connections does not guarantee that it will work.

NightwishFan
January 30th, 2010, 06:24 AM
The resolution on a TV is sometimes very small compared to a computer monitor. I also heard that for some TV's to work you need a converter cord. I am not sure otherwise, as I have never tried it myself. Is it a HD like 1080p?

Bartender
January 30th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Did you try it with the TV turned on before starting the PC? I get a similar message on our 32" LCD TV, but Ubuntu does some re-jiggering and finds the TV's native resolution. This has worked for me with onboard graphics, and two different budget discrete video cards. But you have to have the TV on first.

knighthaq
January 30th, 2010, 04:45 PM
i had the same issue and resolved in buy manually installing my nvidea driver as well as setting temporary permisssions so that i could save the settings .. without knowing your particular graphics type of tv etc? still in the dark but look at the installation section on ubuntu or search , and there are links to help you find the appropriate instructions..

as an after thought you might try to go under system/display and you can configure your monitors there, if you have a good card it may even auto download and install a recommended drive..

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=990978

the above link is where i got my info

using a gtx260 nvidea
core i7 intel 920
with all the beeps and whisltes