PDA

View Full Version : File monitoring without killing battery life

Andruk Tatum
January 30th, 2010, 02:23 AM
How should I go about monitoring file *changes* without killing my laptop's battery life?

Hellkeepa
January 30th, 2010, 03:01 AM
HELLo!

inotify seems to go about that business quite nicely, Dropbox (http://www.dropbox.com) use it to much success at least.

Happy codin'!

hessiess
January 30th, 2010, 07:10 AM
Keep track of the files `modified data/time' property, if the time changes, the file has bean modified.

Andruk Tatum
February 2nd, 2010, 12:26 AM
So with a lot of the tutorials I've seen, they use read(), which is blocking. They do say that select() is nonblocking, so does anybody know if select() has a non-negligible impact on battery life?

Thanks!

dwhitney67
February 2nd, 2010, 01:55 AM
select() does block; I do not know where you read otherwise. Of course you can provide it with a miniscule timeout period (with microsecond resolution), thus making select() return after a brief period of time and offering the illusion that it is non-blocking.

Regardless of the definition of blocking vs. non-blocking, select() is generally the preferred function to use when a task must perform more than one function and waiting on a read() or recv() call is undesirable.

As for battery life, if you are monitoring an HDD, access to it will consume more battery power than some application running in RAM (and using your CPU).

Stop worrying so much about the damn battery and write some code! Chop-chop!!!

P.S. I should also point out that read() and recv() can be made non-blocking, if you setup the file descriptor appropriately.

kahumba
February 2nd, 2010, 05:06 AM
Stop worrying so much about the damn battery and write some code! Chop-chop!!!

Haha that's funny are you a teacher or a supervisor :)

Andruk Tatum
February 3rd, 2010, 01:48 AM
Here's what I coded up so far. It works if I want to multithread my application, but if anybody has any ideas on how I can not do that, I'm all ears!

Andruk Tatum
February 4th, 2010, 10:35 PM
So inotify isn't queuing an event when the kernel modifies the file, at least as far as I can tell. Is this normal?

Here's what happens:
Monitor /sys/devices/platform/hp-wmi/tablet for all inotify events
Look at file (file contains "0") -> Receive inotify Open, Access, Write events
Rotate physical tablet
Don't receive any inotify events
Look at file (file contains "1") -> Receive inotify Open, Access, Write events
Rotate physical tablet
Don't receive any inotify events
Look at file (file *usually contains "0", although still "1" sometimes) -> Receive inotify Open, Access, Write events