PDA

View Full Version : toyota recalling.... most of its models?

dolphinaura
January 30th, 2010, 02:09 AM
http://www.thecarconnection.com/marty-blog/1042008_update-toyota-stops-sales-production-of-recalled-stuck-accelerator-cars

good thing I dont have one :)
but still, these cars with stuck accelerators sound scary - immagine being unable to stop acceoerating...

sports fan Matt
January 30th, 2010, 02:10 AM
I heard that there was a fix either iminent or very close but yes..very scary.

judge jankum
January 30th, 2010, 02:15 AM
I'll take one!!!! The old junk I drive is apt to run away with me anyway lol!!!! At least it would still have 2/3 of the paint still on it....

Kai69
January 30th, 2010, 02:20 AM
Im a mechanic, A few accidents have been caused because of this fault most likely the potensioniter most accelerater pedals are drive by wire too many electronics in cars today.
I just hope theyve sorted the fault.

judge jankum
January 30th, 2010, 02:23 AM
Im a mechanic, A few accidents have been caused because of this fault most likely the potensioniter most accelerater pedals are drive by wire too many electronics in cars today.
I just hope theyve sorted the fault.
I'll take a 66 Chevy over anything built today............

hero1900
January 30th, 2010, 02:23 AM
this is bad for Toyota image this is the 2nd time they do this for me i like Subaru better cars but less known hehehehehhehe

squilookle
January 30th, 2010, 02:34 AM
recalls happen, but it doesnt do much for the very good image that toyata have build up over the years. sadly, it is easier to destroy a good image than it is to build oneup.

saulgoode
January 30th, 2010, 02:52 AM
...immagine being unable to stop acceoerating...
I shouldn't even like being unable to stop moving at a constant speed.

tacantara
January 30th, 2010, 02:58 AM
I saw on a TV news report that, when the vehicle starts to accelerate and can't be controlled, you just shift into neutral and start braking until the vehicle stops. Worst case scenario, I suppose, is that the engine will continue to rev until a rod blows or something. That's better than doing a head-on into a tree at 95 m/h.

Kai69
January 30th, 2010, 03:00 AM
Recalls happen all the time but if its not life threatening its usualy done when the car goes into the main dealers for a service in the back of some service books theres a page for such recalls, some things are silly like Daihatsu put a recycling sticker on the cars battery

Kai69
January 30th, 2010, 03:03 AM
#9 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8746384&postcount=9) tacantara (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=773119)
Good advice but some people panic in that sort of situation but thats what I would do and when the car stops switch the engine off.

handy
January 30th, 2010, 07:41 AM
http://www.thecarconnection.com/marty-blog/1042008_update-toyota-stops-sales-production-of-recalled-stuck-accelerator-cars

but still, these cars with stuck accelerators sound scary - immagine being unable to stop acceoerating...

8 of the most popular models, I think your title could have been slightly less sensational... :)

Toyota make a lot of models & trucks too.

HappinessNow
January 30th, 2010, 08:31 AM
I like Suzuki cars better anyway.

AlphaMack
January 30th, 2010, 08:32 AM
Anyone want to bet it's the DBW system as the root cause here?

Khakilang
January 30th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Luckily no one got kill. If not it will be one of the biggest lawsuit.

earthpigg
January 30th, 2010, 10:11 AM
i want my cars to have as few electronics and computers in them as possible.

i can roll down the window with my arm, tyvm.

lisati
January 30th, 2010, 10:14 AM
The article mentioned worn pedals. I vaguely remember hearing a news item some time in the last week or two mentioning mats, but since I wasn't really paying attention I'm not sure if it was relevant. Ah yes, here's a link: http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/toyota/toyota-begins-interim-notification-112088.aspx

koshatnik
January 30th, 2010, 10:18 AM
At least Toyota have admitted the fault, which is more than can be said for some other manufacturers.

And Toyota's are legendary for their reliability (like Honda). Mistakes happen, at least they are fixing it. Try getting Renault or GM to admit a fault.

RabbitWho
January 30th, 2010, 11:23 AM

Jesus!!!! I read the same story last year i think it was the avensis.. all of a certain batch from 2009 were recalled, and the safety record of that car (which was the best in the world) was seriously damaged, and now you're saying it's happened again! So all this time they knew they had that problem with the accelerators and they only knew enough to take action NOW!?

RabbitWho
January 30th, 2010, 11:29 AM
At least Toyota have admitted the fault, which is more than can be said for some other manufacturers.

And Toyota's are legendary for their reliability (like Honda). Mistakes happen, at least they are fixing it. Try getting Renault or GM to admit a fault.

Narrator: A new car built by my company leaves somewhere traveling at 60 mph. The rear differential locks up. The car crashes and burns with everyone trapped inside. Now: should we initiate a recall? Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one. - Fight Club

I don't actually think it's as bad as that because
1. Media
2. The people making the decisions are human beings and at some point one of them would stop or speak out.
But I think there is some similar formula in work .

lisati
January 30th, 2010, 12:00 PM

Although a Ford fan (a family member worked for them for many years) I have no problems with Toyota. Mrs Lisati & I had a Toyota Corolla (model?) for a while, donated/lent by one of Mrs Lisati's family. It was a good wee car, but had had a hard life before we had it, and it would have cost more than the car was worth to keep it on the road legally. One of its endearing features was an air-conditioned boot (a.k.a. trunk, for our friends in the USA) - this came about after we took it through a car wash and and some rust fell off near the rear. ..... (anecdotal post cut short before it gets even more boring and/or irrelevant)

earthpigg
January 30th, 2010, 11:05 PM
2. The people making the decisions are human beings and at some point one of them would stop or speak out.
But I think there is some similar formula in work .

i strongly disagree. by the time they are high enough in the decision ladder, the odds of them speaking out are minimal. it would have already happened over something more trivial, and they would be pushed out of the company.

also, consider that there is no individual that ever under any circumstances feels responsible for any corporate decision.

"i didn't do it, we did it. its our job, our responsibility to the stockholders." - says the board of directors member.

"i didn't do it, the board of directors did. i may have used my influence to get heartless people on that board, but i didn't tell them explicitly to do that." - says the stock holder.

and when you get corporations owning parts of other corporations, it gets even more grey.

and no one gets punished for corporate decisions. ever.

example:

pretend im a small businessman. i pour toxic waste into the ground on the outskirts of town. i get caught. i go to prison.

now, assume a corporation did that... who goes to prison? do you think the corporation would even let it be documented exactly who or which committee made this decision?

the corporation gets fined. so the cancer cluster just becomes a cost-benefit analysis... and either way, the board of directors membership wins:

if the corporation gets away with it, they get bonuses for their outstanding cost-benefit analysis.

if the corporation doesn't get away with it, they get bonuses to keep their mouth's shut about exactly who was responsible (it wasn't documented anyways, but accusations are bad PR for all).

if organized as a corporation, there is no real risk of prison for any of the people involved in the potential deaths of a bunch of children to save a few bucks.

pwnst*r
January 30th, 2010, 11:23 PM
What's interesting is that none of the cars in Japan were recalled because the part defect is from a different manufacturer. American vs Japanese parts quality? Dunno.

Kai69
January 30th, 2010, 11:25 PM
UK also has the recall and most euro Toyotas are built in the UK

pwnst*r
January 30th, 2010, 11:43 PM
UK also has the recall and most euro Toyotas are built in the UK

So.. Japan wins?

handy
January 31st, 2010, 12:06 AM
Toyota's are built in Oz too. I haven't heard anything about a recall here, though I don't use T.V., radio or news papers...

Kai69
January 31st, 2010, 12:19 AM
The same part is made in differant factories all around the world so batch A is sent to car plant 1 batch B is sent to car plant 2 etc. So when a fault occurs they check pt no batch no and date of maufacture they then know through the VIN chassis no of said cars which are faulty..

Hope this clarifys how recalls work same goes for pcs / washing machines / etc ;)