PDA

View Full Version : what does a dying hardrive sound like?

mamamia88
January 30th, 2010, 01:50 AM
i've never had one die on me but i'm starting to get worried.

Icehuck
January 30th, 2010, 01:54 AM
They sound like an elephant with a bad case of gas.

Seriously, the sound produced varies depending on whats wrong. If it sounds like it grinding or clicking though, then thats a bad sign.

HH60Gunner
January 30th, 2010, 01:54 AM
they make many sounds. Chances are if it's making any sound that's not the normal sound your used to your hard drive is degraded and possibly dying. Most the hard drives I've seen that were dying had kind of a scratchy and clunky sound too them. Some of them had a high pitch whine as well. I'd make sure that you back up any essential items that you may have on that hard drive to something else just in case. I've seen them make sounds for a week and die, then again I've seen them make nasty sounds and live on for another year or so like that.

mamamia88
January 30th, 2010, 01:55 AM
i don't know exactly how to describe it

ZeroSpawn
January 30th, 2010, 01:57 AM
A real light nack...... nak.... nack....... nack.... nak.... crunch.... nack..... nak.....

lisati
January 30th, 2010, 01:58 AM
A real light nack...... nak.... nack....... nack.... nak.... crunch.... nack..... nak.....

I know that sound! ):P

Icehuck
January 30th, 2010, 02:02 AM
Does it sound like someone took a tin can and is dragging it across a cheese grater?

How about really high pitched similar to a bird chirping?

Does it make a sound similar to sucking up a nail with a vacuum cleaner?

mamamia88
January 30th, 2010, 02:18 AM
its kind of a high pitch click

chillicampari
January 30th, 2010, 02:27 AM

How about really high pitched similar to a bird chirping?

Someone in my family's has been doing that lately (also, with the bonus click-click-click) and they won't swap it just yet. Driving me nuts.

Kai69
January 30th, 2010, 03:17 AM
I think its trying to tune itself before the Death Throws song :guitar:
Its dying put it out of its misery please

Sam
January 30th, 2010, 05:56 AM
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/1487