PDA

View Full Version : [wubi] Wubi question, and netbook question

j2the242
January 30th, 2010, 12:27 AM
I was recently told to use wubi b/c i have no optical drive, and the usb method has taken my about 30 hours and 10 beers to calm my nerves, still no results.

FIRST THING, WUBI[

So here is my wubi question/s
thank you snowpine, for answering this question and letting me know not to touch wubi!!!

SECOND THING, Ubuntu or Kubuntu Netbook version, or easy peasy 1.5

Which one is the best for my asus 1000hd eee? or Should I use Easy Peasy for EEEpcs? which has the least issues? I hear wireless internet is an issue on ubuntu, is it that way with kubuntu and easy peasy too?

thank you, I am obviously clueless and I appreciate the help A LOT

snowpine
January 30th, 2010, 12:39 AM
Wubi is not the solution if you're trying to get rid of Windows.

Check it out: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick

Or, you can burn Ubuntu to CD and use an external CDrom drive.

j2the242
January 30th, 2010, 12:41 AM
I dont have a cdrom drive, wont be purchasing one either, and the usb option is not working for me at all. wubi is my only option

snowpine
January 30th, 2010, 12:43 AM
Have you tried Unetbootin (http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net)?

Wubi installs Ubuntu "inside of" Windows.

j2the242
January 30th, 2010, 01:10 AM
inside of windows? yea, thats NOT happening!! Thank you!!

dolphinaura
January 30th, 2010, 01:26 AM
have you tried http://www.eeebuntu.org/ ?
its ubuntu thats specifically designed for EEEpcs. which means that it has all the drivers and everything to get it running.

Rex Bouwense
January 30th, 2010, 01:28 AM
Hey, this may help. It is old but I think the links are still valid.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EeePC

willowave
January 30th, 2010, 04:57 AM
Heres what I can tell you...I have a Eee Pc model 1005ha. I have used Linux Mint, UNR, Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Eeebuntu.Eeebuntu was nice looking, and UNR seemed to have run the best on here. But I have since deciding that I don't like the desktop of UNR, have switched back to regular Ubuntu. If you have seen screenshots, I feel that the panels just take up too much desktop space. I like the panels themselves. I just don't like having to look at something on my desktop ALL of the time. The menus don't retract or snap back to the tab, however you want to say it. Now the reason I changed it in the first place was because of issues with Firefox running so slow. And I just got bored with it. Mint works nice. Kubuntu...and also after installing KDE seemed to be "too much" desktop wise...just not enough space for all the stuff. But thats just me. I like a very minimal desktop with a pretty picture on it to look at. I had the same wireless issues everyones been talking about. More than one time I deleted the partitions and reinstalled and now its working fine.
It comes down to sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't (on installs). Silly I know.
This afternoon I just installed Ubuntu. Everything works fine. Wireless, sound, touchpad. Firefox working perfectly. I am just installing apps now and I think I am going to keep this on here for awhile so I have at least one working computer in the house. (computers dying left and right)
I like to play with different versions of linux and have tried others too so let me know if you have any questions. I did not get around to trying Easy Peasy tho.

ppb1701
January 30th, 2010, 08:13 AM
i'm running regular ubuntu on my 1000he, video, sound, wifi worked right off install. I did notice an occassionally glitch with network manager that had it dropping the wifi. I swapped it for wicd and have had little problems since. I tried unr but I didn't like the interface, i have a friend that loves it on his eee pc and hasn't really mentioned to many problems if any.

nooby
February 1st, 2010, 10:08 AM
I have Acer not Asus but usually what works for one does work for the other maybe?

I installed jolicloud safe install that uses a specially made version of wubi. Works very fast and good out of the box.
wired works and wifi works and it do youtube and streaming video from TV stations.

But you should download the safe version. I don't have link at the moment but if you fail to find other solution to give it a try. They have a hardware list of successes for what it works on.