PDA

View Full Version : ODF in all Danish government institutions.

BuffaloX
January 29th, 2010, 11:40 PM
Today the danish Folketing which is the supreme ruling body in the country, decided on ODF as the only legal document format within any governmental body.

This decision was made after years of debate, but today it was finally decided to use ODF exclusively, since no other standard met the requirements of being an open standard as decided back in 2006.

The prolonged OOXML debate has succeeded in delaying this decision, but fortunately not derailed it completely.

An acknowledged open standard must be implemented by April 2011, and for now the only acknowledged standard is ODF. =D>

The decision is made in such a way, that Microsoft may still be able to get OOXML through, if it is possible to demonstrate that other office solutions could implement OOXML if they choose to.

RabbitWho
January 30th, 2010, 12:50 AM
hurrah!

oh day ef oh day ef! Is that how you pronounce it in danish? Oh day fau? Something completely different? Oh dee ef? I only know 3 different ways of saying the alphabet. ( Irish doesn't really count because it's just that "A" is pronounced "ah" and Q doesn't exist.)

JDShu
January 30th, 2010, 02:01 AM
I really hope that open standards take a hold. Just the Danish government is not enough of a push but its a good start :)

BuffaloX
January 30th, 2010, 02:50 AM
hurrah!

oh day ef oh day ef! Is that how you pronounce it in danish? Oh day fau? Something completely different? Oh dee ef? I only know 3 different ways of saying the alphabet. ( Irish doesn't really count because it's just that "A" is pronounced "ah" and Q doesn't exist.)

LOL way off. :p
It's close to German but shorter if that helps.;)
But I'll join the cheering anyway.

I really hope that open standards take a hold. Just the Danish government is not enough of a push but its a good start :)

Our size is minuscule on a global scale, but Denmark has been a Microsoft stronghold for many years now, and among the early adopters of IT technology in general. Our previous prime minister even had meetings with Bill Gates.
What happens in Denmark is often noticed more around the world, than the size if our small country warrants.

Still this is just a small breakthrough, most offices will probably continue to use MS office with ODF, and all public institutions already must use open standard formats in communications with citizens.

dragos240
January 30th, 2010, 02:56 AM
Another triumph for open source software!

JDShu
January 30th, 2010, 04:11 AM
Our size is minuscule on a global scale, but Denmark has been a Microsoft stronghold for many years now, and among the early adopters of IT technology in general. Our previous prime minister even had meetings with Bill Gates.
What happens in Denmark is often noticed more around the world, than the size if our small country warrants.

Still this is just a small breakthrough, most offices will probably continue to use MS office with ODF, and all public institutions already must use open standard formats in communications with citizens.

Ahh, I didn't know that. Good to know. More power to you guys!

Linuxforall
January 30th, 2010, 04:27 AM
Good start, hope this starts a precedence of sorts.