PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Partial Upgrade leads to kernel panic error message

RedOctober22
January 29th, 2010, 10:49 PM
I got a notification that there was an upgrade available today in ubuntu 9.10 64, after the update i restarted my system and while booting i encountered this error message:

Kernel panic - not syncing : VFS : Unable to mount root fs on unknown - block (8,17)

does this have something to do with the OS looking at the wrong hd?
theres no command prompt to actually do anything and i tried booting in safe mode and had the same problem. Let me know what i can do!
THanks

Revolutionary101
January 29th, 2010, 10:53 PM
Sounds like you will have to reinstall Ubuntu. Thats a bummer. If GRUB could not find the OS it would have something along the lines of "Could not find OS" or something like that. I have messed up GRUB a few times and I have had the problem of GRUB not detecting the OS.

shahani.w
January 30th, 2010, 05:26 PM
I had the exact same problem after the updates that were installed 29/01/10 (and a subsequent reboot).

Re-installation is not necessary.

Follow the steps given in https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lupin/+bug/477169/comments/210

I did not need to do the editing in step B. It worked fine when I just copied the wubilder file to the C: location.

Gypsygirl
December 1st, 2010, 04:39 PM
I am having similar issues with my Ubuntu. I know almost nothing about ubuntu. A friend put it on my PC for me. I do not quite understand from the things I've read how to fix the error message. Mine reads Kernal panic not syncing VFS Unable to mount root fs on unknown block 0,0. I did not add all the dashes and brackets etc. If some one can explain to me how to fix this in very basic terms I would be very greatful. Also if you could email it to me would be better as I have no idea how to get back to this forum. Thank you very VEERY VERRRREEEERRRYYYYYY much!:popcorn: