PDA

View Full Version : should linux be more like McDonalds?

chris200x9
January 29th, 2010, 09:39 PM
I think it would be a great idea if we opened a huge number of linux shops and sold distros for a dollar. Who's with me?

Psumi
January 29th, 2010, 09:40 PM
*tumbleweed*

Hetor
January 29th, 2010, 09:41 PM
For some reason I lol'd at the title.

LowSky
January 29th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Please drive up to the first distro...

dragos240
January 29th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Well. I think you could give free livecds to your local computer store, and they could sell them/give them away. I don't think a shop 100% dedicated to selling distros would work.

pwnst*r
January 29th, 2010, 09:44 PM
*tumbleweed*

Lol

@OP: I suggest you take a business 101 class and see how your suggestion will bankrupt you.

chris200x9
January 29th, 2010, 09:46 PM
Well. I think you could give free livecds to your local computer store, and they could sell them/give them away. I don't think a shop 100% dedicated to selling distros would work.

good idea but, the lack of a "Dollar menu" kills it.

dragos240
January 29th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Horrible idea, the lack of a "Dollar menu" kills it.

Think about it, I don't know many people who even know about Linux. I don't think that people would visit often. However, if you had some distros in a computer store, people would be more likely to see them. Moreover, it costs money to own a shop, and you will NOT make money, not even enough to pay the store bills, doing that.

chris200x9
January 29th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Think about it, I don't know many people who even know about Linux. I don't think that people would visit often. However, if you had some distros in a computer store, people would be more likely to see them. Moreover, it costs money to own a shop, and you will NOT make money, not even enough to pay the store bills, doing that.

what if it came with fries, a dollar for a distro and fries. Seems like a good money maker.

edit: I'm a genius! Why not have a distro in every happy meal?

doas777
January 29th, 2010, 09:57 PM
my freinds refer to mcdonalds as "Chairman Mau's", because you always get it the chairman's way.

so no, I don't really want all distros to be the same. two all soy patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions, on a sesame seed bun.

dragos240
January 29th, 2010, 09:57 PM
what if it came with fries, a dollar for a distro and fries. Seems like a good money maker.

I have no idea if that will sell, but it certainly sounds interesting.

doas777
January 29th, 2010, 09:58 PM
I have no idea if that will sell, but it certainly sounds interesting.
depends on how good the fries are

chris200x9
January 29th, 2010, 09:59 PM

double fried

Psumi
January 29th, 2010, 10:04 PM

I like onion rings better.

Kai69
January 29th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Can I order a Bigmac fries and an Ubuntu coffee please :p

srt4play
January 29th, 2010, 10:32 PM
Yes!! I want to be able to order a large Ubuntu with a dollar Fedora only to get home and find in the bag a double Madriva with Puppy.

e-Gee
January 29th, 2010, 10:34 PM
For 2$ you get a distro and Coke

RabbitWho
January 29th, 2010, 10:40 PM
Hey! why don't Canonical do a deal where a distro comes with every happy meal? Collect them all!

And when your done with the box it folds into a 3d scene of Tux and Ronald mc Donald having a picnic.

doas777
January 29th, 2010, 10:48 PM
Hey! why don't Canonical do a deal where a distro comes with every happy meal? Collect them all!

And when your done with the box it folds into a 3d scene of Tux and Ronald mc Donald having a picnic.

I lol'd

chris200x9
January 29th, 2010, 10:58 PM
OP here just saying I don't appreciate you all turning my very serious topic into a joke...

RabbitWho
January 29th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Re: should linux be more like McDonalds?
OP here just saying I don't appreciate you all turning my very serious topic into a joke...

If I had a signature that would be it. :D

cariboo
January 29th, 2010, 11:33 PM
If you were really serious, you should have written your post in a more serious tone of text. :)

phrostbyte
January 29th, 2010, 11:36 PM
Microsoft is like McDonalds. Both serve mass produced garbage! ):P

*runs away*

Kai69
January 29th, 2010, 11:57 PM
The only problems I foresee is what happens to the older distros? 6month release cycles, coaster set anyone :KS

Rob@ThePCWiz.info
January 29th, 2010, 11:58 PM
I'm sorry, there is just no logic in that. People need to eat everyday, however people do not need to get & install a new Linux Distro every day.
You would end up paying more to run the place than you would be making.
I'm sorry, but please, just leave it to the experts who run the local computer shops.

BTW, I couldn't help but to lol at that idea a bit.

lisati
January 30th, 2010, 12:03 AM
I'm sorry, there is just no logic in that. People need to eat everyday, however people do not need to get & install a new Linux Distro every day.
You would end up paying more to run the place than you would be making.
I'm sorry, but please, just leave it to the experts who run the local computer shops.

BTW, I couldn't help but to lol at that idea a bit.

I, too, wondered about the profitability of focusing on just making the distro available. Perhaps the money might be made through support options, or through something similar to the Ubuntu shop (http://shop.ubuntu.com/)

BuffaloX
January 30th, 2010, 12:07 AM
Yes!! I want to be able to order a large Ubuntu with a dollar Fedora only to get home and find in the bag a double Madriva with Puppy.

LOL :D
Even more Linux marketing.;)

chris200x9
January 30th, 2010, 12:07 AM
I, too, wondered about the profitability of focusing on just making the distro available. Perhaps the money might be made through support options, or through something similar to the Ubuntu shop (http://shop.ubuntu.com/)

exactly it would be almost the same as if in the 90's McDonald's gave out aol cds

Kai69
January 30th, 2010, 12:24 AM
Now your talking AOL cds made great beer mats and when you got fed up with drinking used them as frissbee's :p

Rob@ThePCWiz.info
January 30th, 2010, 01:49 AM
haha, i would always use the "1000 Hours of AOL" CD's for cup holders, used to have a **** load of them that came for me in the mail... couldn't use them though because I ran Linux lol.