PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Best use for 2 hard drives?

paker
January 29th, 2010, 09:19 PM
I routinely download video files using Transmission. A few days ago I replaced a 300 GB SATA HD with a 1.5 TB SATA HD.

The old HD is collecting dust on the shelf. I want to put it back in the computer and make it work. But what's the best way to use 2 hard drives? I don't care about data integrity. No need to backup anything.

I read on internet that putting OS on one HD and data on the other makes the system more responsive.

tom.swartz07
January 29th, 2010, 09:33 PM
I routinely download video files using Transmission. A few days ago I replaced a 300 GB SATA HD with a 1.5 TB SATA HD.

The old HD is collecting dust on the shelf. I want to put it back in the computer and make it work. But what's the best way to use 2 hard drives? I don't care about data integrity. No need to backup anything.

You could use it as a 'testing' drive? Install all sorts of other OS's on it and play. I have an old drive that has Vista, Fedora, and other linux distros on it and I only use it once in a while.

Another possibility is to get an enclosure for it and mount it as an external drive for all of your torrent files. Keep your stuff organized.

I read on internet that putting OS on one HD and data on the other makes the system more responsive.Nah, dont do that- its not really worth the trouble, unless you have a huge number of files in your /home folder or something. On a separate partition, maybe. But another drive is just more trouble than its worth.

You could always just give it to me? I could certainly use it! :lolflag:

warfacegod
January 29th, 2010, 09:34 PM
It can yes. You might consider buying an enclosure for it and making it an external.

Or, you could always mail it to me.:P

warfacegod
January 29th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Curses! You beat me to it Tom. Oh! the shame, the shame!

tom.swartz07
January 29th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Curses! You beat me to it Tom. Oh! the shame, the shame!

Hehe- I knew that joke was coming about 10 times over when I saw the title.

You have to get up pretty early in the morning to beat me! :P

warfacegod
January 29th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Hehe- I knew that joke was coming about 10 times over when I saw the title.

You have to get up pretty early in the morning to beat me! :P

You got me by mere seconds.

durand
January 29th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Your idea of separating your data is definitely worth trying out. If you split your / onto two separate drives, you will be getting a fairly huge speed boost at boot. The main problem is that it might get a bit messy if you don't intend to reinstall, though it is still possible. If it was me, I would put /home and /usr/lib or something like that onto the second hard drive.

MichealH
January 29th, 2010, 10:11 PM

I read on internet that putting OS on one HD and data on the other makes the system more responsive.

Or you could make a Server? Cmon guys A server may be what some of you lot are looking for!

warfacegod
January 29th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Indeed. Send me a Server instead.

ovid9
January 29th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Yeah, that 300 gig drive would be a lot more useful in my NAS box than the 40gig i have now....

All my D20 pdfs have used up half the space already....