poor rover, all alone

MichealH
January 29th, 2010, 09:02 PM

Xbehave
January 29th, 2010, 09:31 PM
awwwww, poor little guy!

pwnst*r
January 29th, 2010, 09:47 PM
I think the very definition of comedy has left that image. Of course, this implies that it was supposed to be comical in the first place.

Psumi
January 29th, 2010, 09:58 PM
I think the very definition of comedy has left that image. Of course, this implies that it was supposed to be comical in the first place.

Seriously, I don't think it was very funny, or funny.

Poor machines. :(

RabbitWho
January 29th, 2010, 10:04 PM
I'm surprised how few of you haven't seen this already, am I the only one who checks XKCD every Monday Wednesday and Friday?

Anyway it's not funny unless you're already familiar with the story of that amazing rover, NASA put it up there, genuinely expecting, their wildest dreams, that it would last 3 months and then become so clogged with dust that it would stop working. It cost millions just to get it up there but the information it would gather in 3 months would be worth it.. then.. to everyone amazement surprise and delight... it turns out there are these passing standstorms that clean the dust out every few weeks, so it was able to keep transmitting information for yeaaaaaaars. It just kept going and going, anyone who's ever had an old car or a computer that really shouldn't work but does.. you must be familiar with the kind of affection one feels for something like that. Of course you anthropomorphisize it, it's human nature... this cartoon is the logical conclusion of that anthropomorphization. It almost made me cry. So I laugh at myself.

XKCD isn't only about making you laugh, it's about mocking things, and drawing attention to things, and it's often quite artistic and mind expanding.

NoaHall
January 29th, 2010, 10:07 PM
I got the joke, it just wasn't funny nor interesting. Just like the rest of XKCD. When someone posts a link, no matter how many times I click random, I am yet to find a joke on it which makes me laugh.

baddog144
January 29th, 2010, 10:12 PM
I wept a little.

RabbitWho
January 29th, 2010, 10:15 PM
I got the joke, it just wasn't funny nor interesting. Just like the rest of XKCD. When someone posts a link, no matter how many times I click random, I am yet to find a joke on it which makes me laugh.

I'm glad some people don't find him funny, it allows me to see him as somewhat less of a godlike figure who sees into my dreams hopes aspirations and darkest fears and see him more as a flawed and unappreciated human being like myself.

doas777
January 29th, 2010, 10:24 PM
very poignant. not funny per se, but certianly got the point across.

@noa, tastes are subjective, but if Nothing they have ever done has made you crack a smile, it may not be their fault.

ticopelp
January 29th, 2010, 10:39 PM

Maybe someday you'll learn something from your experience.

Grenage
January 29th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Personally, I really enjoy xkcd strips.

soni1770
January 29th, 2010, 10:50 PM
big fish small fish cardboard box

NoaHall
January 29th, 2010, 10:59 PM
Maybe someday you'll learn something from your experience.

Like?

ticopelp
January 29th, 2010, 11:07 PM
Like?

Like, if you don't enjoy a webcomic, stop reading it. Don't keep reading it and then bleat about how much it sucks. Nobody cares.

NoaHall
January 29th, 2010, 11:09 PM
Like, if you don't enjoy a webcomic, stop reading it. Don't keep reading it and then bleat about how much it sucks. Nobody cares.

I only read it when it is posted, in a attempt to bond with those who enjoy it.

If I don't like it, I'm allowed to say it.
Take your fascism with you when you leave, k?

ticopelp
January 29th, 2010, 11:15 PM

Fascism? Oh my. I was recommending you stop doing something you clearly don't enjoy. But if you feel the world simply must know about the anguish you willingly continue to inflict on yourself, by all means, forge ahead.

RabbitWho
January 29th, 2010, 11:15 PM

I really feel we bonded :)

steveneddy
January 30th, 2010, 04:19 AM
That's exactly my career track after I finally took charge of my destiny.