PDA

View Full Version : POLL: Keyboard or Mouse?

doublewitt
January 29th, 2010, 08:37 PM
The other day I was traveling to work on the train and noticed someone with a laptop. This guy's fingers were flying as fast as a piano player...! - amazing. I'm sure some "keyboard" types could become excellant pianists! :P No doubt, in public travel, the keyboard is very useful. I don't open my laptop while traveling though, and at work or at home, most of the time, I use the mouse (laptop and desktop). How do you compose with your computers; keyboard or mouse? In the poll, just select the one you use the most...

NoaHall
January 29th, 2010, 08:38 PM
What? The last time I checked, only those who are disabled(on-screen-keyboard) used mice for "composing" anything. The rest of us use keyboards.

markp1989
January 29th, 2010, 08:39 PM
i use the keyboard 90% of the time, nothing anoys me more then seing someone in starbux getting out a nice shiney laptop/netbook, then using a desktop mouse with it

doublewitt
January 29th, 2010, 08:46 PM
I see lots of people in public places like that and they use the mouse for just about everything they can - as long as there is a table!

Mouse people want toolbar buttons - keyboard people want shortcuts! Pretty well everyone I know relies heavily on the mouse.

Simian Man
January 29th, 2010, 08:47 PM
This is kind of a stupid question. Keyboards are better for some things, mice are better for others.

doublewitt
January 29th, 2010, 08:49 PM
This is kind of a stupid question. Keyboards are better for some things, mice are better for others.

Ahhh - just for fun! ;)

Kai69
January 29th, 2010, 08:50 PM
Since moving to linux Im using the keyboard more, Im still very slow though and on lappy I still use an ext mouse. I just find it easier.

The Men
January 29th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Would like to see someone tabbing through this forum ..

SuperSonic4
January 29th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Keyboard, if only to avoid the damn on screen keyboard

doublewitt
January 29th, 2010, 08:56 PM
It's true, Linux encourages keyboard usage. On other forums, I've seen keyboard people say they never or rarely touch the mouse - it's too much trouble to continually take their hand off the keyboard. From the opening to the closing of the computer, it's keyboard all the way.

wsonar
January 29th, 2010, 09:00 PM
I predict in possibly 10 years the physical keyboard and mouse will be near obsolete for most personal pc's given the exception of games of course

doublewitt
January 29th, 2010, 09:09 PM
I predict in possibly 10 years the physical keyboard and mouse will be near obsolete for most personal pc's given the exception of games of course

I agree. Eventually, this will happen...

MichealH
January 29th, 2010, 09:19 PM
I mainly use my mouse to Browse and Do everyday Stuff but I have always wanted to Constantly use Hotkeys :D

Kai69
January 29th, 2010, 09:25 PM
So is it ok to use a wireless mouse with a laptop? Mines got 4 buttons 1 wheel cant get the hang of the touchpad thing

doublewitt
January 29th, 2010, 09:33 PM
You'd be surprised how many people rely heavily on the mouse. The company I work for (very big company) with lots of people working there mainly use the mouse - it seems it's too much trouble to learn all the keyboarding... anyways, that's what they tell me...! From what I've observed, "keyboard" people can't imagine others relying on the mouse for almost everything aside from the short text compositions. And this works the other way around, if you're the "mouse" type, and you see someone using the keyboard like a pro, it's impressive and you couldn't imagine people using keyboards like that - good grief, how do they do it...!!?

Some of my friends have recently "begun" using computers, I guess, you couldn't expect them to learn all the keyboarding + shortcuts when the mouse is so conveniant. So they are looking for more ways to make the mouse more useful. (better interface design with less mouse travelling)

chessnerd
January 29th, 2010, 09:48 PM
On Linux I use the keyboard more than the mouse. I've recently come to learn the power and ease of using the terminal in Linux and have since begun to use the keyboard a lot more. However, on Windows I almost always use the mouse for everything.

One quick story:

I was working on my aunt's desktop and had just added more RAM to the machine. I plugged all of the peripherals back in and booted it up. Everything was working great. I opened up programs and they loaded way faster. I loaded up her music player and was rocking out to some Relient K. Then, I checked the task manager by right-clicking on the taskbar and saw that her computer was under considerably less strain. All was good. I then tried to go to the Internet and couldn't type in the URL. Come to find out, her keyboard wasn't plugged in. #-o I had been using Windows XP without a keyboard for about 10 minutes and hadn't even noticed!

Kai69
January 29th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Thats what the two extra buttons are for back a page or forward a page. I just got so used to using a mouse through using windows Yes I know lazyness, but when I came to linux it was a big culture shock now its about 50/50.
My brother in law was a programer ive seen him use the keyboard once I couldnt keep up he was fast..:p

doublewitt
January 29th, 2010, 09:55 PM
I had been using Windows XP without a keyboard for about 10 minutes and hadn't even noticed!

lol,

I've made loads of observations when I go to public places like banks, insurance offices, or anywhere where there is a person serving you with a computer in front of them, they're "mousing" their way along as if there is no keyboard (barely) in front of them! I've never seen someone like that with their hands tied to the keyboard.

I think the greater majority of computer users are "mouse" types. I see it everywhere...

doublewitt
January 29th, 2010, 10:01 PM
but when I came to linux it was a big culture shock

:shock: it is...
I kinda like it though and I am slowly learning...
but it's hard to let go of the mouse...

jbruced
January 29th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Would like to see someone tabbing through this forum ..

+1 :lolflag:

doublewitt
January 29th, 2010, 10:23 PM
but when I came to linux it was a big culture shock

Maybe that's one of the reasons why some won't make the switch to Ubuntu. Leaving Windows entirely for Ubuntu, or other Linux OS, requires lots of effort - and so, the would-be-switcher, might think twice before making the move. Not only does he have to consider a new desktop environment as an operating system, but he's confronted with "keyboarding" emphasis. In some instances and depending on your age and experience, this could be considered a stumbling block. If you've been sitting in front of a computer for let's say, 10 years, and the mouse has been your personalized and primary tool assisting you in your computer operations, then obviously enough, you see the challenge ahead...

Tibuda
January 29th, 2010, 10:50 PM
both?