PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 9.10 & NETGEAR WNDA3100

alpha123
January 29th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Hello everyone,

I am using Windows 7 64-bit and I just installed Ubuntu 9.10 using Wubi. Looks pretty nice, kinda reminds me of Mac OS not-X. Anyway, I am using the NETGEAR RangeMax WNDA3100 wireless card. I installed it from the installation autorun program, in case that makes any difference. Works fine with Windows 7. So, how do I get it to work in Ubuntu 9.10? Ubuntu currently has absolutely no internet connection. I looked at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=885520, and I don't have a file called WNDA31.sys. Also, I couldn't find D:\bin\config\ndis5\ on the disk (yes, my CD drive is D:). So could someone either please give me instructions for getting it to work (remember, Ubuntu has absolutely no internet connection), or attach the files needed.

Thanks,
alpha123

alpha123
January 29th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Um, a little help please?!

Thanks.

alpha123

tripolitan
January 29th, 2010, 06:49 PM
The instructions in the thread you quoted, call for the .inf file. In any case, the .sys file for your particular adapter may not be exactly named as the one used. Personally, I would use whatever is on the driver CD for your usb wifi adapter for win xp (yes I know you're using win 7).

Of course, this is all assuming that you've installed the 64 bit version of Ubuntu (if that's even relevant with Wubi). And that you've installed ndiswrapper, kernel headers and all that stuff, per the instructions.

tripolitan
January 29th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Unless you have something to add, please don't reply to your own posts.

alpha123
January 29th, 2010, 06:58 PM
It didn't ask for 32-bit or 64-bit with Wubi, so I assume that it just automatically detected it.

In any case, the .sys file for your particular adapter may not be exactly named as the one used. Excuse me for being a little naive, but how am I supposed to find it then?!

Does sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-common ndiswrapperutils-1.9 and sudo apt-get install ndisgtk require an internet connection? Because I can't connect to the internet from Ubuntu....

Thanks for the help,
alpha123

Unless you have something to add, please don't reply to your own posts.

Very sorry about that.

tripolitan
January 29th, 2010, 07:06 PM
No worries.

Yes, all apt-get commands require internet connection to "get" the packages "programs" ndiswrapper-common and ndiswrapperutils-1.9 and ndisgtk from the software repository. Of course, you will have to install these packages from the CD, since you can't get on the internet. You might already have the kernel headers installed by default. ndiswrapper will tell you, if it can't find them.

alpha123
January 29th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Well, this could be tricky. I have a computer running Windows 7 (I'm using it right now) that I just installed Ubuntu 9.10 on. All the other computers in the house have Windows Vista (well, one ancient one has XP, but it's too slow to do anything). I installed Ubuntu by downloading and running Wubi, so there is no CD. Could I download the packages with Windows and use a USB stick to move them to the Ubuntu part of my computer?

Thank you,
alpha123