PDA

View Full Version : Gates donates $10B from the Gates Foundation.

whiskeylover
January 29th, 2010, 05:30 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2010/BUSINESS/01/29/davos.bill.gates.donates/index.html

What a nice human being.

SuperSonic4
January 29th, 2010, 05:31 PM
I can't dechiper if that's sarcasm or not?

I can't help but think it's money obtained from illegal gains

doas777
January 29th, 2010, 05:33 PM
is the money going to support censorship in china?

jk. I really liked the stunt he pulled a few years ago, releasing a number of supposedly malaria infected mosquittos in a room full of powerful suits. classic.

just goes to show, you can be a good guy and an evil guy at the same time.

audiomick
January 29th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Reading the article, my sceptical side was wondering which Pharmaceutical company he has invested in, but maybe I shouldn't be so cynical.

To my surprise, I found myself agreeing with a quote:

And with the subject of excesses in the financial sector high on the agenda at Davos, Bill Gates suggested bankers with their big bonuses should travel to places such as Africa and see what is needed for themselves.

DeadSuperHero
January 29th, 2010, 05:41 PM
I don't care where the money is coming from, it's research to combat AIDS. I don't care who you are out there, that contribution is a huge help to anyone battling HIV/AIDS and it is the start of a long sigh of relief in the LGBT communities, as a lot of us have had it hanging over our heads for decades.

Is Bill Gates evil? That's subjective, but I appreciate this contribution to say the least.

MaxIBoy
January 29th, 2010, 05:42 PM
In before "He only does charity work with pocket change for tax reasons."

whiskeylover
January 29th, 2010, 05:42 PM
I can't dechiper if that's sarcasm or not?

I can't help but think it's money obtained from illegal gains

No, it wasn't sarcasm. Say what you want about the OS, the dude is one of the biggest philanthropists in the whole world.

ANd what illegal gains are you talking about?

whiskeylover
January 29th, 2010, 05:45 PM
In before "He only does charity work with pocket change for tax reasons."

I don't understand this at all. I know your charitable contributions are tax deductible. But whoever doing charity for the sake of tax deductions should understand that you actually have to donate first to get only a partial amount in tax returns.

RiceMonster
January 29th, 2010, 05:45 PM
This is obviously just part of a greater plot to monopolize the computer market and destroy linux. How dare he donate 10 billion to people in need!

SuperSonic4
January 29th, 2010, 05:46 PM
No, it wasn't sarcasm. Say what you want about the OS, the dude is one of the biggest philanthropists in the whole world.

ANd what illegal gains are you talking about?

Fair enough, he does do a good job as a person. The gains coming from Microsoft who illegally bundled WMP with windows and IE with windows plus various shady manoeuvres to keep microsoft's monopoly intact.

Obviously now they are separate but I still believe a lot of the cash comes indirectly from microsoft

forrestcupp
January 29th, 2010, 05:47 PM

+1

He's not evil just because he wants to make money from his work. I'll wager that he uses a bigger percentage of his money for good than a lot of people here who think he's evil.

MaxIBoy
January 29th, 2010, 05:49 PM
I don't understand this at all. I know your charitable contributions are tax deductible. But whoever doing charity for the sake of tax deductions should understand that you actually have to donate first to get only a partial amount in tax returns.I know, it makes no sense, but people say this anyway.

whiskeylover
January 29th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Fair enough, he does do a good job as a person. The gains coming from Microsoft who illegally bundled WMP with windows and IE with windows plus various shady manoeuvres to keep microsoft's monopoly intact.

Obviously now they are separate but I still believe a lot of the cash comes indirectly from microsoft

So what if it comes indirectly from Microsoft? He could have kept the money for himself, and bought a small island. Instead he's giving away 1/4th of his wealth to the needy. I don't see anything wrong/illegal/immoral about that.

Some people hate MS, and Gates just for the heck of it.

doas777
January 29th, 2010, 06:08 PM
+1

He's not evil just because he wants to make money from his work. I'll wager that he uses a bigger percentage of his money for good than a lot of people here who think he's evil.

fair enough. I do think this is a bit evil though: http://www.osnews.com/story/17689/Bill_Gates_on_Making_ACPI_Not_Work_with_Linux

n0dix
January 29th, 2010, 06:11 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2010/BUSINESS/01/29/davos.bill.gates.donates/index.html

What a nice human being.

That's because his wife. His wife is force him to do that.

doas777
January 29th, 2010, 06:12 PM
That's because your wife. His wife is force him to do that.
my wife can force billg to do stuff? kewl! I'll have to get her working on a wishlist asap

whiskeylover
January 29th, 2010, 06:14 PM
That's because your wife. His wife is force him to do that.

I swear my wife had nothing to do with it :-/

madnessjack
January 29th, 2010, 06:23 PM
People didn't like Robin Hood either... :P

doas777
January 29th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Rich People didn't like Robin Hood either... :P
fixed that for ya

n0dix
January 29th, 2010, 06:26 PM
my wife can force billg to do stuff? kewl! I'll have to get her working on a wishlist asap

I swear my wife had nothing to do with it :-/

:lolflag: me, i write well now.

jeyaganesh
January 29th, 2010, 06:27 PM
I appreciate Bill Gates for his philanthropic works. Whatever it is, a person needs to have a good heart to do such things.=D>=D>=D>

pwnst*r
January 29th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Anybody that has something negative to say about this move is a complete *******

KiwiNZ
January 29th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Anybody that has something negative to say about this move is a complete *******

I should be issuing an infraction for language filter violation and rule breaking for this post but I find myself agreeing with it.

Come on people . Get over it. :mad:

@ Mr Gates

Well done and thank you. $10B can go a very long way.

Keyper7
January 29th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Wow, that's a lot of money.

And nice direction too, they are thinking long-term instead of investing in a temporary solution.

doas777
January 29th, 2010, 06:53 PM
I should be issuing an infraction for language filter violation and rule breaking for this post but I find myself agreeing with it.

@ Mr Gates

ummmm, no one seems to be saying anything like what you imply.

cguy
January 29th, 2010, 06:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP5VIhbJwFs&feature=fvw

Getting paid for your work as a programmer: evil.

Delivering a complete OS (i.e.: with an Internet browser and a media player): illegal and evil.
The Opera guys should sue Canonical and all others for not delivering Opera along with Firefox. Actually, if Mozilla itself made a distro they should have packed Opera in it. Just like Coca-Cola should pack a can of Pepsi in each bottle pack.

Lobbying your company: evil.

CAN YOU BELIEVE THE UTTER STUPIDITY OF SOME PEOPLE??
Looks like that phrase is as real as it can get: "Never underestimate the power of human stupidity."

Gates cannot be praised enough. :)

Swagman
January 29th, 2010, 06:57 PM
After making a deal with Diablo it aint no use trying to buy your way out of keeping your end of the bargain.

He's going down

Mwahahahahahaha <---Manic laff

warfacegod
January 29th, 2010, 07:05 PM
+1

I would be willing to bet that most of us can't afford to give away a higher percentage of their money. When people like us walk past a penny and leave it on the ground that equates to Bill Gates walking past 25 thousand dollars and ignoring it. We're talking about two completely different realms of prosperity here.

cguy
January 29th, 2010, 07:16 PM
I would be willing to bet that most of us can't afford to give away a higher percentage of their money. When people like us walk past a penny and leave it on the ground that equates to Bill Gates walking past 25 thousand dollars and ignoring it. We're talking about two completely different realms of prosperity here.
Of course.
Have you donated a total of $100 to the Red Cross in the last two years?

SuperSonic4
January 29th, 2010, 07:19 PM

@ Mr Gates

It's one rule for us and another for them

Kai69
January 29th, 2010, 07:27 PM
10bn divided by 8mil =
Yes I do donate to the Red Cross every month ;)

warfacegod
January 29th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Of course.
Have you donated a total of $100 to the Red Cross in the last two years?

I've donated much more and gave blood whenever the wagon comes round.

warfacegod
January 29th, 2010, 08:15 PM
This is like putting a band-aid on the bleeding stumps after your arms have been lopped off. Why not put your time and energy into stopping the tyranny and oppression that lead to the poverty and disease infested conditions that these people are forced to live in?

The richest 1% of people control 99% of the money in this world leaving the rest of humanity to fight for the left over scraps. Then we all go "Yeah! Yeah! What a great guy!" buying it like fools when one of them opens the coffers a little. Cut the crap! The upper 1% are either directly or indirectly responsible for those atrocious conditions in the first place.

Giant Speck
January 29th, 2010, 08:19 PM
This is like putting a band-aid on the bleeding stumps after your arms have been lopped off. Why not put your time and energy into stopping the tyranny and oppression that lead to the poverty and disease infested conditions that these people are forced to live in?

The richest 1% of people control 99% of the money in this world leaving the rest of humanity to fight for the left over scraps. Then we all go "Yeah! Yeah! What a great guy!" buying it like fools when one of them opens the coffers a little. Cut the crap! The upper 1% are either directly or indirectly responsible for those atrocious conditions in the first place.

THIS JUST IN: Bill Gates caused AIDS. Film at 11.

whiskeylover
January 29th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Again, let me remind you. He just donated 1/4th of his wealth. Thats hardly opening the coffers a little.

warfacegod
January 29th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Again, let me remind you. He just donated 1/4th of his wealth. Thats hardly opening the coffers a little.

And he's still got enough left over to buy an entire country if he chose to. 10 billion means nothing when you and your peers control virtually all of the money.

KiwiNZ
January 29th, 2010, 08:26 PM

Thread closed