PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Ubuntu Studio 9.10 64bit to dual boot with existing windows 7 OS

NEWrangling
January 29th, 2010, 05:18 PM
I'm currently running a brand new toshiba 505 laptop with Windows 7 64 bit and I'm moving away from windows. I want to first install using wubi and when I start the process and then reboot my keyboard is dead so i cannot finish the install. I searched for this problem and just cannot find it anywhere.

For reference I'm using the 9.10 version.

Any help would be appreciated as it's preventing me from getting started.:confused:

FlyingBuzz
January 29th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Why don't you try to install Ubuntu normally?
Cut some space out of your existing partition(s) ~10-20 Gb and install ubuntu on thar space. Grub (boot manager) will automatically detect your veendoze partition and add it to boot menu - you'll be able to choose between two OSes.

FlyingBuzz
January 29th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Here is some helpful information:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GraphicalInstall

NEWrangling
January 29th, 2010, 07:23 PM
I'm giving it a try via this guide, I will post up if things have changed. :popcorn:

Does the computer need to be connected via line to the internet?

I got a Cannot reserve MMIO region error

freeing invalid mem type
udevd[134]: worker [1021]unexpectly returned error

This is during boot up

I got to the graphical screen where it asks for language but the keyboard and mouse is dead.

NEWrangling
January 30th, 2010, 03:44 AM
tried everything and it still hangs at the point when you need the keyboard and mouse. Same issue when I try to install Fedora instead. this 64bit machine is starting to tick me off.

Sef
January 30th, 2010, 04:01 AM
What happens when you run the live cd?

NEWrangling
January 30th, 2010, 04:54 AM
it gets to the questions screen (graphical interface) When it gets here I can't use the keyboard or mouse as it's frozen so I can't select english and answer the 6 questions.

Almost like there is no drivers to run them.

NEWrangling
January 30th, 2010, 05:05 AM
just now when launching I get this in the middle of the launch

udevd-work[204]: '/sbin/modprob -b acpi:LNXVIDEO:' unexpected exit with status 0x0009

it hung at this point so I had to restart

NEWrangling
January 30th, 2010, 05:24 AM
holy crap I figured it out. Went to f6 before selecting install ubuntu and deselected the first two options as I read this on someone elses install and it worked.

NEWrangling
January 30th, 2010, 05:42 AM
holy crap I figured it out. Went to f6 before selecting install ubuntu and deselected the first two options as I read this on someone elses install and it worked.

VideoRoy
January 30th, 2010, 07:01 AM
I am guessing one of the options you chose was "noacpi" or something to that effect? I cannot remember the exact option but have had to do that before.

I am setting a new laptop right now as well (HP Win7 64bit) and I appreciate you reminding me of this option.

BTW you may need to make sure whatever items you choose end up as kernel parameters in Grub2 or you will probably continue to have issues after the install.