PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10 screen resolution broke

mepatuhoo
January 29th, 2010, 04:19 PM
i started with 8.04 and just upgraded to 8.10 no problem then from 8.10 i upgraded to 9.04 at that time the screen got stuck in som kind of low resolution settings i tried to set it up higher but still could not get widescreen so i thought "well i am going to upgrade to 9.10 maybe that would fix it" no such luck now after upgrading to 9.10 and restarting the laptop i now have a screen that is about 2 inches high and 3-4 inches width and repeats the screen on the x axis not repeated on y axis and every other line of pixs are black and the screen is flashing very very fast. sorry if i cant explain it any better then that but thats the best i can think of in describing that i have. i can see that there is some kind of popup window with two buttons that i can not read with the current settings when i press one it will bring me to a text prompt the other pops up another window with one button that after clicking will give me a blank screen that i cant do anything on. can some one please help me fix this i would really like to be able to us my laptop. and the idea of losing all my files would really suck.

mepatuhoo
February 3rd, 2010, 06:09 AM
i have this fixed what i had to do is i put the ubuntu 9.04 cd into the computer from there in live cd mode i then sudo chmod all my directories on my ubuntu drive and moved all the data over to vista after that i wiped the ubuntu drive clean and then reloaded a fresh copy of ubuntu 9.04 then upgraded it to 9.10