PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] zip file

1991sudarshan
January 29th, 2010, 03:36 PM
how to open zip files?

warfacegod
January 29th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Go to:

System> Admin.> Synaptic> search for unrar and unzip. Install both. Double click you archived file.

MelDJ
January 29th, 2010, 03:57 PM
doesn't archive manager deal with it?

warfacegod
January 29th, 2010, 03:59 PM
doesn't archive manager deal with it?

Depends on which OS is being used. I don't think zip support is installed by default until 9.10

ajgreeny
January 29th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Depends on which OS is being used. I don't think zip support is installed by default until 9.10
I am amazed. I have never yet added anything in order to unzip a zip file. I had to get unrar, but that is the only archive app I have ever needed to get separately from those already in the OS, as far as I'm aware, and I'm not yet running 9.10 as default.

Am I wrong?

warfacegod
January 29th, 2010, 04:57 PM
I am amazed. I have never yet added anything in order to unzip a zip file. I had to get unrar, but that is the only archive app I have ever needed to get separately from those already in the OS, as far as I'm aware, and I'm not yet running 9.10 as default.

Am I wrong?

I may be thinking of .rar then. I use them so rarely that I don't bother to keep up with what the different OSes are doing with them.

audiomick
January 29th, 2010, 05:23 PM
I may be thinking of .rar then. I use them so rarely that I don't bother to keep up with what the different OSes are doing with them.

Would have been .rar . I have always been able to open zips, and don't recall having installed anything to do it.

sisco311
January 29th, 2010, 05:32 PM
uzip and zip are installed by default. Both are dependencies of the {x,k,}ubuntu-desktop packages.

apt-cache show ubuntu-desktop | grep zip

mkvnmtr
January 29th, 2010, 07:14 PM
When I install a new release I normally go to Synaptic and install all the rar and zip packages I find after a search. Then I just double click and it always seems to work. It might be wasted effort but it makes me feel better.