PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Where is Xine?

asharpham
January 29th, 2010, 03:32 PM
I am using Ubuntu 9.10. I just downloaded xine using Synaptic but can't find it anywhere. It doesn't appear in any of the menus.

My actual problem is I'm trying to find something that will play DVDs. Movie Player doesn't, MPlayer doesn't, VLC doesn't. I've downloaded things like libdvdcss2 but nothing has worked. I thought Xine might do it but can't find it and I don't know why it's not in the menu.

Please can anyone help.

Alan.

warfacegod
January 29th, 2010, 03:35 PM
I am using Ubuntu 9.10. I just downloaded xine using Synaptic but can't find it anywhere. It doesn't appear in any of the menus.

My actual problem is I'm trying to find something that will play DVDs. Movie Player doesn't, MPlayer doesn't, VLC doesn't. I've downloaded things like libdvdcss2 but nothing has worked. I thought Xine might do it but can't find it and I don't know why it's not in the menu.

Please can anyone help.

Alan.

Right click you Menus and select Edit Menus. Look in Sounds and Video and put a check next to xine.

Do you have restricted extras enabled in software Sources?

asharpham
January 29th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Yes, restricted extras is ticked. I looked in "Edit Menus" Sound & Video but Xine is not listed.

Interestingly, within an hour of posting the message I have had some success in playing a dvd through Movie Player. I followed instructions on installing Medibuntu including the installation of libdvdcss2 (which I had already downloaded but hadn't made any difference). I also followed instructions on installing w32codecs. Something worked as i can now play a DVD in Movie Player - but I don't know what did it.

The above installations were via the Terminal, not Synaptics.

However, there is still no sign of xine.

Alan.

SuperSonic4
January 29th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Xine and Xine-ui are different.

The former is a phonon backend and default in KDE. The latter is a self-standing movie player using the xine engine

elliotn
January 29th, 2010, 04:26 PM
go to terminal and type xine

asharpham
January 29th, 2010, 05:08 PM
That must be my problem. I downloaded xine, not xine-ui. I went to Terminal and typed xine but got the message "Command not found".

Should I uninstall xine or let sleeping dogs lie?

Alan.

dolphinaura
January 29th, 2010, 06:50 PM
let xine be and just install xine-ui

asharpham
January 30th, 2010, 05:56 AM
Unfortunately xine-ui hasn't helped but despite this, my problem has been solved and I can now play DVDs using Movie Player. Thank you to all of you who helped. I really appreciate it.

Alan