PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] *buntu on an Acer AspireRevo

teh603
January 29th, 2010, 03:17 PM
For those of you who haven't messed with nettops, the AspireRevo is Acer's version of what was originally called an "eeetop"- in simple terms, a desktop version of a netbook. My dad and I bought one last night and after an hour or so had a fully functional Jaunty install on it.

Honestly, I think Acer intended this to be a childrens' computer. Its simple white keyboard has keys that look like they're a little oversized, and the mouse feels smaller than a lot I've seen. I'm glad they didn't stamp "MY FIRST COMPUTER" on it, because that would've just been embarrassing.

It runs Jaunty reasonably well. The nVIDIA video and sound chipset (nVIDIA ION) don't seem to be supported, but that may already be fixed in Karmic and Lucid. I didn't have a stick with Karmic on it so I didn't try. It doesn't have wifi, but detected the wifi dongle we bought instantly. The HDD took longer than I expected to format, but then again 160 gigs isn't something to sneeze at.

What I didn't test were the ethernet, eSATA connector, card reader, HDMI port, mini-PCIE slot, or the headphone/mic jacks.