PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] X (compiz) issues after moving to new HW

perw
January 29th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Hi
I've just moved my Karmic installation (Compiz enabled) from a Fujitsu-Siemens Lifebook E8420 (NVIDIA GeForce 9300M graphics) to a Lifebook S6420 (Intel GMA 4500M HD graphics) using the method described here http://cheungtamhe.nl/blog/index.php?/archives/9-Moving-Ubuntu-installation-to-new-hardware.html .

I soon discovered that X wouldn't start. Booted in rescue mode and modified xorg.conf setting Driver to "intel" in the Device section. Testing with startx verified that basic X now worked. Rebooted and logged on but discovered that compiz wasn't working. Any attempt to turn on extra visual effects just gave me a mirror image which just timed out and returned me to basic desktop.

Just to check I booted the 9.10 Desktop CD in test mode and turned on extra visual effects and that worked ok.

What settings could be wrong here ? I've tried to reinstall xserver-xorg-core and xserver-xorg-video-intel but that didn't help any.

overdrank
January 30th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Moved to Desktop Environments

perw
January 30th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Solved !
Seems my libGL.so.1 was symlinked to the old Nvidia lib. Removing the Nvidia libraries and reinstalling the libgl1-mesa-glx package did the trick. I also removed some libGLCore.so libraries which i couldn't find belonged to any package.