PDA

View Full Version : The New Banshee Rocks!

Docaltmed
January 29th, 2010, 02:07 PM
I just updated to the new Banshee, ver 1.6 beta 4, and I have to say hats off to the developers. In the past couple of years I've been bouncing around among all of the music management apps -- Amarok, Songbird, Rhythmbox, Exaile and previous versions of Banshee -- all of them are good, all have their strong points, but none of them quite filled the bill for me.

Until now. This release does it all. It recognizes and manages my iPod, no sweat. Podcasts? check. Audiobooks? check. Links to online music stores? check.

I'll stop, but there's more. If you are, like I was, still looking for that iTunes killer, check out the new Banshee. For me, this one does it all.

Congratulations again to the devs.

Uncle Spellbinder
January 29th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Where did you get 1.6 b4? Checking the PPA's all I see are unstable or daily build PPA repos. And they have versions 1.5.3 or 1.5.4.

Simian Man
January 29th, 2010, 03:45 PM
I love Banshee, but haven't been able to use it for my iPod due to two killer bugs for the cover art. One made the art take up huge amounts of space (https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=555329), and the other made it so it didn't even show up (https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=564185).

According to one of those reports, those issues should be fixed in some code base, but I was curious if anyone knows if that is included in this beta? Gnomeuser perhaps?? :)

SuperSonic4
January 29th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Any native last fm support?

edit: never mind. Mono is 51mb

Megrimn
January 29th, 2010, 04:18 PM
WOW... it even works with the playback keys on my keyboard; I haven't found a media player that does that yet! I have found an alternative to Amarok! HALLELUJAH!

Uncle Spellbinder
January 29th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Where did you get 1.6 b4? Checking the PPA's all I see are unstable or daily build PPA repos. And they have versions 1.5.3 or 1.5.4.

Ahhhh. Nevermind. The 1.5 versions are actually 1.6 betas (http://banshee-project.org/2010/01/27/banshee-1-5-3-released/). I did not know that. So I've been using the beta all along then. OK.

Still no ability to watch more than one folder. A total and complete showstopper for me.

Mr. Picklesworth
January 29th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Ooooh, there's a library watcher extension! (Disabled by default). And it'll save ratings / playcounts to files. I hate losing that stuff when I switch music players.

Now the only thing Banshee needs to do so it can replace Rhythmbox for me is to connect its built in volume control knob to its PulseAudio stream, like Rhythmbox and Totem do.

Zoot7
January 29th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Banshee is by a long shot my favourite audio player for Linux. It's the only player I've found that has an equalizer IMO that's as good as some of the mainstream players for Windows like Winamp.

mamamia88
January 29th, 2010, 06:59 PM
does it autorefresh podcast feeds after sleep? i've been looking for a media player that does that

Pablo Pablovski
January 29th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Any native last fm support?

edit: never mind. Mono is 51mb

Yes, but I've found it doesn't work - it looks for authorisation to access your LastFM account to enable scrobbling etc., then opens your browser so you can do that, but doesn't seem to see the authorisation - so it simply asks again.

64bit, 9.10.

Cracking app, though - nearly as good as Amarok....:p

SuperSonic4
January 29th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Yes, but I've found it doesn't work - it looks for authorisation to access your LastFM account to enable scrobbling etc., then opens your browser so you can do that, but doesn't seem to see the authorisation - so it simply asks again.

64bit, 9.10.

Cracking app, though - nearly as good as Amarok....:p

I'll stick with amarok then.

23dornot23d
January 29th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Great App thanks for showing it on here ...... is it easy to get radio stations imported from
streamtuner ?

Ok easy ish ........ manually get properties from within Streamtuner and add them in one by one

Docaltmed
January 29th, 2010, 11:59 PM
Ahhhh. Nevermind. The 1.5 versions are actually 1.6 betas (http://banshee-project.org/2010/01/27/banshee-1-5-3-released/). I did not know that. So I've been using the beta all along then. OK.

Still no ability to watch more than one folder. A total and complete showstopper for me.

Bummer. But couldn't you use symlinks to accomplish that?

infestor
January 30th, 2010, 12:53 AM
it sux on my machine...dead slow

Uncle Spellbinder
January 30th, 2010, 01:02 AM
Bummer. But couldn't you use symlinks to accomplish that?

Probably. But I've been using Exaile, which I believe is a better all around audio player than Banshee. And it supports watching multiple folders.

Also found Guayadeque Music Player (http://sourceforge.net/projects/guayadeque/) to be an extremely promising app.

As much as I like Banshee, the issues with only one folder for your library and scrobbling problems, both Exaile and Guayadeque have proven to be better. At least for my needs.

Oasu4g
February 2nd, 2010, 07:39 AM
Any way I can get my album art to sync to my Creative Zen?

cguy
February 2nd, 2010, 12:00 PM
it sux on my machine...dead slow

Same here, but I use it anyway.
If Rhythmbox supported multiple queuing of the same file, I'd drop Banshee in a second.

anonbeat
February 2nd, 2010, 12:19 PM
Same here, but I use it anyway.
If Rhythmbox supported multiple queuing of the same file, I'd drop Banshee in a second.

Not sure about Rhythmbox but Guayadeque can do it

pwnst*r
February 2nd, 2010, 02:40 PM
I just updated to the new Banshee, ver 1.6 beta 4, and I have to say hats off to the developers. In the past couple of years I've been bouncing around among all of the music management apps -- Amarok, Songbird, Rhythmbox, Exaile and previous versions of Banshee -- all of them are good, all have their strong points, but none of them quite filled the bill for me.

Until now. This release does it all. It recognizes and manages my iPod, no sweat. Podcasts? check. Audiobooks? check. Links to online music stores? check.

I'll stop, but there's more. If you are, like I was, still looking for that iTunes killer, check out the new Banshee. For me, this one does it all.

Congratulations again to the devs.

Not an iTunes killer, sorry.

MacJack
February 2nd, 2010, 02:46 PM
Well, I like VLC, only screwed up on me once.

Somewhere knocking about is a media player comparison list.

picpak
March 1st, 2010, 03:15 PM
Before I was using Banshee just because Amarok 1.4 was getting too old and outdated, but the newest release has now made it my favourite music app. Library watcher? Shoutcast? Wikipedia? Last.fm? Lyrics? iPod support? CoverFlow? Videos? CD ripping? What can't it do?

Actually, there's one thing it can't do, that only makes it 99% perfect for me, that only Amarok could do, and that's organize my files by artist's initial. Once it can do that, I've officially sealed the deal. I hear a lot of talk about Guayadeque; can that one do it?

armageddon08
March 1st, 2010, 07:54 PM
Anybody knows how do I get Jamendo or Magnatune or any other online music store/service integration in banshee ?

gnomeuser
March 2nd, 2010, 12:03 AM

We admit the folder watching is still in an early state, it only watches folders defined by your media library (typically music, podcasts, video and audiobook). It even depends on mono features which aren't in the Lucid mono (as 2.6.x is required). The feature in question was backported so there might be bugs as well (in fact there is sure to be, all code has bugs).

This is only a 1.6 beta release, give us a bit of time and the glory of the final 1.6 release should be much better.

Swarms
March 2nd, 2010, 12:52 AM
Loving the OSX support! :)

eumetaxas
March 2nd, 2010, 03:02 PM
It really rocks. Better than listen and rythmbox!