PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Mounting /home Directory

whitetimer
January 29th, 2010, 01:16 PM
HI All

If i do a clean cli of Ubuntu where i have kept the partition form a previous installation and i have / & /swap, when the installation is complete, how would i mount my old /home partition ?

Many Thanks

:popcorn:

chaanakya_chiraag
January 29th, 2010, 01:18 PM
I'm not sure, but I think you have to mess with fstab (/etc/fstab if I remember correctly)

Grenage
January 29th, 2010, 01:19 PM
You can specify it in fstab (/etc/fstab).

darkod
January 29th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Just to clarify, you have separate /, /home and swap partitions right? You want a clean install of Ubuntu but to keep using the existing /home?

Start the install process and in step 4 select manual partitioning. All partitions will be marked as Not Used. Click on each of them one by one, and then the Change button at the bottom.

For /
Change filesystem to what it was, ext3/ext4
Mount point to /
Tick the format box (to make sure old version is wiped)

For /home
Change filesystem to ext3/ext4
Mount point to /home
DO NOT TICK THE FORMAT BOX OR YOUR DATA WILL BE WIPED

For swap
Filesystem swap
Mount point swap
No format available for swap

That's it.

whitetimer
January 29th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Just to clarify, you have separate /, /home and swap partitions right? You want a clean install of Ubuntu but to keep using the existing /home?

Start the install process and in step 4 select manual partitioning. All partitions will be marked as Not Used. Click on each of them one by one, and then the Change button at the bottom.

For /
Change filesystem to what it was, ext3/ext4
Mount point to /
Tick the format box (to make sure old version is wiped)

For /home
Change filesystem to ext3/ext4
Mount point to /home
DO NOT TICK THE FORMAT BOX OR YOUR DATA WILL BE WIPED

For swap
Filesystem swap
Mount point swap
No format available for swap

That's it.

Yes thats what i wish to achieve, so many thanks for that :D

darkod
January 29th, 2010, 02:37 PM
One thing that wasn't mentioned, I don't know if it can work if you create different username. I have only done this when creating the same username in the new install because your home folder now is /home/username and that will remain same with the data inside.
Not sure if it can work if during the new install you create different username.

whitetimer
January 29th, 2010, 03:53 PM
One thing that wasn't mentioned, I don't know if it can work if you create different username. I have only done this when creating the same username in the new install because your home folder now is /home/username and that will remain same with the data inside.
Not sure if it can work if during the new install you create different username.

Ok thanks for that, but i will be using the same name, so no trouble there ;)

Many Thanks