PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Installing ubuntu from hardisk image

ArtzP
January 29th, 2010, 12:11 PM
I have a big problem with my laptop. I have blank harddisk (with no partition at the moment). I can access it from another computer with usb box. My laptop has no cd rom,floppy and cannot boot from usb.
Is there possible to boot from harddisk when I write there copy of ubuntu cd image (extracted .iso) to it? What partition should I use? I have tryed fat, fat 32 and ext2. But bios cannot read them (partition table failure or something like that). Also I can not put new cd-rom to laptop, because pin-s are broken.
Or is there something other way - for example copy ubuntu (or some other linux) files to the harddisk using other computer, and then log to computer.

Looking forward to your answers.
PS! I have read about network installer, but this is unlikely to complete it, because different OS-es and network permissions.

ArtzP
January 29th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Anyone?
Is it really possible that Linux has no non-booting installation modes (except Wubi and Lubi) ?

yogesh.girikumar
February 2nd, 2010, 03:29 PM
Hi,

You might find this link very helpful,

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromImageLoadedOnHardDrive

ArtzP
February 2nd, 2010, 06:19 PM
Thank You. I'll try when I get my harddrives work again, or get new harddisk - unfortunately I managed to burn them :( (somekind of electric error on the usb adaptor ).