PDA

View Full Version : Time for a NEW COMPUTER!!!

TCYost
January 29th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Tax return came in and im on the market to update my old tank of a computer... Im wanting as many people as possible to weigh in on this and then im going to make my purchase based off what im told on THIS site.

Requirements-
-Under 5lbs or at least not much over (Ultra-portable)(disk drive optional, not a must)
-The ability to multi-task comfortable without much if any hangup... EXP... Listening to Music, while Surfing the web, while doing some light editing work...
-The graphics card has to at least be able to operate Compiz smoothly and play have HD quality playback...
-NOT a netbook

What do you guys have?

llawwehttam
January 29th, 2010, 10:38 AM
What contry are you in and I may have links for you. Its a bit difficult if you live the other side of the world to me as the links I post will cost a lot to ship to you.

TCYost
January 29th, 2010, 10:44 AM
United States... Tennessee

handy
January 29th, 2010, 11:07 AM
I am going to replace my AGP equipped motherboard with a current one, for no other reason than I can't upgrade my graphics card anymore.

I'm waiting until USB-3 & SATA-3 are very common & therefore the m/boards will be cheaper.

A couple of months may do it?

During that time the open-source support for ATi GPUs will continue to rapidly develop, so my GPU will be an ATi.

3rdalbum
January 29th, 2010, 11:33 AM
I am going to replace my AGP equipped motherboard with a current one, for no other reason than I can't upgrade my graphics card anymore...

During that time the open-source support for ATi GPUs will continue to rapidly develop, so my GPU will be an ATi.

First thing: Powercolor makes modern ATI graphics cards (4000 series) that fit into AGP motherboards. So no, you don't need to upgrade your motherboard.

Second thing: There's no way ATI will catch up to Nvidia in less than two years. ATI's performance on Linux is still terrible, and there's no video decode acceleration (whereas Nvidia's is very mature on Linux). Buy Nvidia for your new motherboard, you'll thank me.

handy
January 29th, 2010, 01:05 PM
First thing: Powercolor makes modern ATI graphics cards (4000 series) that fit into AGP motherboards. So no, you don't need to upgrade your motherboard.

I have an nVidia 7950GT/512MB RAM card in the thing now. I'm never going to pay too much because I need AGP again.

When I go ATi, I'll go Evergreen, which will be supported (not in the next couple of months, but now that AMD have opened up the tech' info' it can now happen without the tedious reverse engineering that would've held it back for years.

Second thing: There's no way ATI will catch up to Nvidia in less than two years. ATI's performance on Linux is still terrible, and there's no video decode acceleration (whereas Nvidia's is very mature on Linux). Buy Nvidia for your new motherboard, you'll thank me.

I have always been an nVidia person, ever since the Riva 128. I never supplied any customer with anything else than nVidia if they had use for 3D.

I have an ATi HD2600Pro in my iMac, running 64bit Arch/Openbox, & the stable open-source GPU drivers. It displays 2D better than catalyst ever did, very quick & crisp, the same goes for movies, they play faultlessly as opposed to the tearing that catalyst always provided.

Currently the stable drivers provide 3D that is perfect for simple games like World of Goo, it gets slower in games where the 3D becomes more demanding.

Kernel .33 will bring more speed, the guys using .git are getting fantastic results. Power management is almost there, so maybe some in the next kernel, certainly more in the .34 kernel.

I don't need to have the fastest GPU on the block. I really am happy that AMD/ATi have opened up the tech' info' for the GPUs, & I will support them GPU wise because of it.

I have whole heartedly supported AMD since their first Athlon CPUs, & will continue to do so, I like to support the underdog.

I'm not a FOSS fundamentalist by any means, I just know what I like. ;)

There has been pain due to the poor fglrx/catalyst drivers, though I've experienced a lot of fun & learned quite a bit whilst I've been dealing with & following the growth of the open-source support for not only ATi. The kernel has changed, the whole GPU support system is going through a major overhaul.

It's all good. :)

& I agree, nVidia is the easy solution currently.

LowSky
January 29th, 2010, 02:01 PM
http://system76.com/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=95

cascade9
January 29th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Yay for thread hijacking LOL

I'm waiting until USB-3 & SATA-3 are very common & therefore the m/boards will be cheaper.

A couple of months may do it?

USB3 I can pass on...SATA3 is something I would be after.

Judging by the prices in the US, its only a tiny bit more for the current USB3.0/SATA3 motherboards-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128392

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128419
$10-15 more for pretty much exactly the same board but with USB3 and SATA3 sounds nice to me.

Though, to be honest, I'm not sure how they will be priced once they actually get into the stores here. The suppliers I use here havent got them in yet. :|

xuCGC002
January 29th, 2010, 02:55 PM
http://system76.com/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=95

This.

Megrimn
January 29th, 2010, 04:02 PM
heh ... if I had the time, I'd build my own. I'd definitely check newegg first.

MichealH
January 29th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Well I have a 1 year old laptop with a .... OK graphics card on Windows that is Unsupported on Ubuntu I need to upgrade :S

handy
January 30th, 2010, 03:59 AM
USB3 I can pass on...SATA3 is something I would be after.

For me (at least at the moment) it's the other way around. :)