PDA

View Full Version : What is the best distro for an Acer Aspire One A 150?

Hallvor
January 29th, 2010, 10:15 AM
I am looking for a distro for my Acer Aspire One A 150. It came with Windows XP, has 1 GB RAM and 160 GB HD.

The most important thing is that all hardware, suspend and hibernate works perfectly. I am just going to use it for browsing the web and a little IM.

Any suggestions and experiences?

speedwell68
January 29th, 2010, 12:02 PM
I would have to say it is a toss up between Ubuntu Netbook Remix and EasyPeasy Linux.

Hallvor
January 29th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Thanks. Does suspend and hibernate work?

ikt
January 29th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Thanks. Does suspend and hibernate work?

It should do, I have an acer aspire one and it does both really well.. though it came with linux pre-installed, if it doesn't work be sure to report a bug.

Grifulkin
January 29th, 2010, 04:41 PM
I use Arch on mine with LXDE+Wicd. It last a lot longer than my XP partition. I also use Midori for browsing and pidgin for IM but I am thinking I could find something lighter then that, not sure. But yeah good luck finding a nice distro for it, I am sure there are more then one.

Tristam Green
January 29th, 2010, 04:52 PM
I will not lie to you when I say that every single Linux distro I used on my A150 failed (miserably). I know that YMMV, but it just didn't work at all for me.

Windows 7 Professional was the magic bullet.

YeOK
January 29th, 2010, 06:49 PM
I am looking for a distro for my Acer Aspire One A 150. It came with Windows XP, has 1 GB RAM and 160 GB HD.

The most important thing is that all hardware, suspend and hibernate works perfectly. I am just going to use it for browsing the web and a little IM.

Any suggestions and experiences?

My daughter has the same model but her's came with Linpus. It now runs Fedora 12, I'm 99% sure all hardware is working perfectly (She never complained anyway).

She uses it for browsing the web, listening to music, a few games, some open office and the odd Tracy Beaker? on bbc iplayer.

d_aspros
July 31st, 2011, 03:39 PM
I have been using Zorin Os Lite which is mainly Lubuntu 11.04.
It works fantastic on the Acer one. It is fast as a breeze. :)

Bapun007
July 31st, 2011, 05:23 PM
lubuntu or xubuntu

LowSky
July 31st, 2011, 05:51 PM
I'm using Arch with Gnome 3 and it is pretty decent. Whats great about Arch is you have control over what is installed, because of that even running Gnome it runs really well. I don't have so many things going on in the background to slow the system up.

Sef
July 31st, 2011, 09:36 PM
Raised from the dead and now put back to sleep.