PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.10 Won't Install...Help!

Jumpmanpkt
January 29th, 2010, 06:35 AM
I have recently decided to change from windows to ubuntu. After realizing the capabilities the software had I jumped on the bandwagon. Only problem is that I can't seem to get it to install. I'm sure this may have been posted before and I don't really have the patience to look. I have downloaded the ISO file onto a cd for installation and have loaded the disk on my desktop. When I try to Install the software I get the error:

"Kernal Panic - not syncing: IO - APIC + Timer doesn't work! Boot with apic=debug and send a report. then try booting with the 'noapic' option"

The problem is I really have no idea what this means. What I have tried so far was to install the software by checking noapic, nolapic, and acpi=off under the F6 options. What happens? Well it installs, but I really don't think it installed. Right after it rebooted it went to the boot screen and the OS/memory test options. So I press enter for the OS and I get the same error as when I was trying to install it.

I have a Powerspec with an Intel Pentium D Processor I think upgraded to 2gb ram. The graphics card is integrated with the motherboard: ATI Radeon 200Xpress. 275gb hard drive.

I hope you can help! PS: Not computer savvy, rather the town indiot.

garvinrick4
January 29th, 2010, 06:41 AM
I have recently decided to change from windows to ubuntu. After realizing the capabilities the software had I jumped on the bandwagon. Only problem is that I can't seem to get it to install. I'm sure this may have been posted before and I don't really have the patience to look. I have downloaded the ISO file onto a cd for installation and have loaded the disk on my desktop. When I try to Install the software I get the error:

"Kernal Panic - not syncing: IO - APIC + Timer doesn't work! Boot with apic=debug and send a report. then try booting with the 'noapic' option"

The problem is I really have no idea what this means. What I have tried so far was to install the software by checking noapic, nolapic, and acpi=off under the F6 options. What happens? Well it installs, but I really don't think it installed. Right after it rebooted it went to the boot screen and the OS/memory test options. So I press enter for the OS and I get the same error as when I was trying to install it.

I have a Powerspec with an Intel Pentium D Processor I think upgraded to 2gb ram. The graphics card is integrated with the motherboard: ATI Radeon 200Xpress. 275gb hard drive.

I hope you can help! PS: Not computer savvy, rather the town indiot.
Go to your BIOS settings and make sure CD boots first.
Put CD in tray and reboot so boots off of CD.
You did BURN the .iso file to a CD correct.

Jumpmanpkt
January 29th, 2010, 06:43 AM
Ok I booted off the CD then what?

djchandler
January 29th, 2010, 06:52 AM
When you boot the CD, there's an option to check the CD for defects. Please try that option before attempting an installation again.

Then, if the CD is okay, reboot, then go into your BIOS, go to the "Advanced BIOS Features" menu and make sure the "APIC Mode" function is set to "Enabled".

Reboot and try installing again.

Jumpmanpkt
January 29th, 2010, 06:57 AM
Checking the disk for defects also resulted in the error. Should I still try the advanced bios features?

djchandler
January 29th, 2010, 07:00 AM
Yes, go into your BIOS as described above.

If you can't even check the CD for defects, I'm suspicious of the hardware. There's a memtest option too, so you may want to try that before installing besides checking the CD for defects.

Jumpmanpkt
January 29th, 2010, 07:02 AM
I'm sorry, but where is the advanced bios feature at?

djchandler
January 29th, 2010, 07:07 AM
When you first boot your computer, you may get a splash screen showing your computer manufacturer, or a screen the starts a short memory test or count. Usually striking the delete key or F2 key will bring up your BIOS menu. There should be a menu item that says Advanced BIOS settings.

Powerspec is a Micro Center brand. There could be all kinds of different motherboards in those.

Jumpmanpkt
January 29th, 2010, 07:15 AM
Ok I think I have enabled the APIC function...What should I do next?

djchandler
January 29th, 2010, 07:20 AM
Reboot the CD, see if you can check it for defects. If it does okay, you should try an install again since you were actually able to enable APIC.

Sometimes that setting is in advanced chipset settings. It depends on the BIOS (Award, AMI [American Megatrends], Phoenix)

Jumpmanpkt
January 29th, 2010, 07:27 AM
ugh... I enabled everything I could, but still I get the error. I don't know what to do.

Update! I checked acpi=off before checking disk and it said had one file error

djchandler
January 29th, 2010, 07:40 AM
If you are still getting the error about your APIC, once again I'm suspicious of the hardware you are installing onto. And now you also know that there's a problem on the CD. Try rebooting the CD again with apic=off and run a memtest. It may take a while.

Sorry, but I'm headed for bed here in the midwest.

Good night!