PDA

View Full Version : What's your idea of the Ultimate Linux OS?

Nitrozzy7
January 29th, 2010, 03:49 AM
I think that the ultimate Linux OS is the one that is 100% compatible with all current and future PCs, all software (e.g. games) that is and will be available, and that is 100% n00b-prof (extremely easy to use and install applications).
Don't comment on my idea, just write yours.

00ber n00b
January 29th, 2010, 03:54 AM
arch...

lol

Psumi
January 29th, 2010, 04:20 AM
One that can run Firefox at 2 MB of RAM.

Warpnow
January 29th, 2010, 04:23 AM
Ubuntu Minimal + XFCE + Chromium + Adblock + Abiword + Gnumeric + mplayer + aqualung + pidgin.

alwayshere
January 29th, 2010, 04:27 AM
one that is main stream and supports and is supportedwith and by all or most hardware/software.

This is like trying finding the awnser to life lol.

handy
January 29th, 2010, 04:29 AM
Arch, with complete FOSS GPU 2D/3D support for all GPUs, plus complete FOSS driver support for all other hardware.

The Linux kernel hybridised mono/micro so that it could load drivers from external modules, which is one way to solve that ever growing problem.

The incorporation of a Wine that made the installation & running of any products designed for MS (particularly games) simple, reliable & effective (meaning they run fast).

SomeGuyDude
January 29th, 2010, 04:36 AM
Arch is my ultimate distro. Any qualms I have are the result of third party developers not putting any time into compatibility.

dolphinaura
January 29th, 2010, 05:07 AM
simply a complete working set of OSS drivers (including video).
+ Make xorg suck up on 5mb of ram.
+ OSS flash.

only three lines, yet a lot of work and effort to ask for.

dolphinaura
January 29th, 2010, 05:08 AM
arch...

lol
woah. thats a huge gun in your dp.

Alex Libman
January 29th, 2010, 05:11 AM
It'd have to be:

as fast as Debian / Ubuntu,

binary package management as good as Ubuntu,

community as large and n00b-friendly as Ubuntu,

source-based installation / optimization as easy and flexible as on Gentoo (minus the bugs)

a single programming language / VM / widget toolkit for all purposes (as opposed to having to mix GTK / Qt / Tk / Swing / SWT and C / Mono / Java / half-dozen scripting languages),

consumer hardware and games support as good as Windows 7,

and, most important of all, licensing philosophy as free as OpenBSD. :D

mamamia88
January 29th, 2010, 05:19 AM
-Must have latest and greatest version of software
-would like to come with crossover linux free of charge
-broadcom drivers and nvidia drivers included.
-easy to use but not so easy that i get bored
-flash works perfect
-super stable and super fast (number 1 priority)
-synaptic package manager

anyone know of a distro that meets these needs

AllRadioisDead
January 29th, 2010, 05:22 AM
-Must have latest and greatest version of software
-would like to come with crossover linux free of charge
-broadcom drivers and nvidia drivers included.
-easy to use but not so easy that i get bored
-flash works perfect
-super stable and super fast (number 1 priority)
-synaptic package manager

anyone know of a distro that meets these needs
- You've got to be kidding. Use wine, if not support the crossover project because money goes back to the wine developers.
-Ubuntu?
-Ubuntu?
-Ubuntu?
-Ubuntu?
-Ubuntu?

mamamia88
January 29th, 2010, 05:27 AM
ubuntu has never been super stable for me.

AllRadioisDead
January 29th, 2010, 05:34 AM
It's all in how you manage your system.

kgarbutt
January 29th, 2010, 06:11 AM
Ubuntu...

Psumi
January 29th, 2010, 06:21 AM
Ubuntu Minimal + XFCE + Chromium + Adblock + Abiword + Gnumeric + mplayer + aqualung + pidgin.

Edit your /etc/hosts file to have this hosts information: http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.txt

And make sure to remove the localhost line from this hosts.txt file, as your hosts file in linux already has it up top.

Now you can use midori without adblocking extensions.

AllRadioisDead
January 29th, 2010, 06:22 AM
Seriously though, how many threads of the ultimate Linux OS that can magically be compatable with all drivers and run software for all platforms and have no bugs and feed my dog in the morning are we going to see? Like, It's not happening anytime soon. There's no such thing as a perfect OS, you use what works best for you and that's about it.

LightB
January 29th, 2010, 06:27 AM
A: Something that cooks, cleans and does the dishes.

mamamia88
January 29th, 2010, 06:29 AM
that would be great if it could cook me dinner

phillychease
January 29th, 2010, 08:10 AM
links2 as default browser

cascade9
January 29th, 2010, 08:23 AM
Runs a full DE on a 486 with 8MB of RAM, starts in less than 3 seconds, shuts down instantly, zero problem on the fly 50000% compression, plays any game ever made, reads CDs/DVDs/blu-ray/nitendo64 cartridges/etc by just sitting them on the case (no matter how scratched), opens and write to any document format, plays any media file ever made, reads your mind so you dont need a keyboard or mouse, connects to the internet without an line, wireless, ISP or bills, always has the latest software which is never buggy at all.

A: Something that cooks, cleans and does the dishes.

LOL, I was thinking just that. I'll add makes you look fabulous, not matter how much you drink/eat/current medical status, reverses aging and fixes any poisoning, chemical or genetic damage, brings world peace and makes pollies redundant. Hmm....I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff...yep, thats right, makes you memory flawless. Unless you want/need to forget something, then its gone, forever.

murderslastcrow
January 29th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Ubuntu with a completed Software Center. What else do you need?

Well, to be honest, I want Gnome and Compiz to get faster over time. It's nice that ReactOS and Wine are finally working together and pooling their resources on each others' projects. It would be brilliant if Wine got enough funding to have 100% compatibility, then we could work on building in a virus detector, optimizing the code, making Linux a perfect way to experience something new and modern while keeping your old stuff.

Really, even though I've nearly completely eliminated my use of Wine, I still think it's an amazingly successful project that needs attention.

That being said, real innovation is happening regardless of proprietary compatibility. I'm excited to see how integrated and fast everything is getting. It's kind of beautiful to watch, and I'm hoping Lucid will be good enough to market locally here in Utah.

Icehuck
January 29th, 2010, 08:53 AM
Slackware

I don't have to deal with stupid dependencies that are irrelevant and I'm not limited by repositories.

TCKChris
January 29th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Lovin Mandriva atm. :)