PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cannot install ubuntu

ecoulthard
January 29th, 2010, 02:33 AM
I just bought an Acer Aspire 7535-5415 laptop with Windows 7. I have burned ubuntu onto a cd. When I try to boot up the laptop with the cd in the drive it just boots up windows as it would normally and I don't get an options to install ubuntu or anything. I've tried both a cd that I burned and an official cd I picked up in the computing science department at my university. The same thing happens in both cases. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Eric Coulthard

mmmmna
January 29th, 2010, 02:44 AM
This is most likely decided by the settings in the BIOS. Review your manual for how to enter BIOS setting mode BEFORE the system boots. Usually, you press a key (F2, delete) right after the very FIRST screen shows on the computer (a few seconds after you turn it on). Then the BIOS setting screens (be careful) need to be researched until you see a boot order declaration. Adjust these.

Also possible is you pressing a different key (at about the same time as BIOS setup) to bring up a special dialog window where you can select what device is to provide the boot system. Again, read the manual for the system.

hth.