PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't accsess the internet.

jdgregson
January 29th, 2010, 12:18 AM
Alright, so I have a old (2000's) laptop which I installed Ubuntu over Windows XP. Now I need to get on the internet to update it and to be able to install things in general. It has a network jack, and a 10/100 PC card. When I plug a network cable into the network jack a whole lot of nothing happens. The person I got the laptop from says the PC card does not work, and said person also never gave me the dongle for the 10/100 PC card. I think the PC card may work, because I ran system testing and the report told me everything there is to know about the PC card. I would think if it didn't work, the computer wouldn't be able to see it. So here I am, with a network jack that doesn't work, and a PC card that may work, but I still cant plug anything into because I don't have it's cable. Any suggestions?

leclerc65
January 29th, 2010, 01:03 AM
Try to re-do the installation with the network cable plugged in before not after like you did.

jdgregson
January 29th, 2010, 01:15 AM
Try to re-do the installation with the network cable plugged in before not after like you did.
Sorry, but I am having trouble seeing how that would do anything but make me need to re-customize my system. I think it is a hardware issue, as in, the jack itself doesn't work (it may work, i really don't know).

Elemaoh
January 29th, 2010, 01:53 AM
Did it work in XP? Or did you try?

Could also try a live-cd to see if it works. This would eliminate bad install, etc...

jdgregson
January 29th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Did it work in XP? Or did you try?

Could also try a live-cd to see if it works. This would eliminate bad install, etc...
It didn't work in XP either. I was thinking that it might have been an XP setting that wouldn't let it work. Is there some setting that I would need to change in Ubuntu?

llawwehttam
January 29th, 2010, 05:45 PM
To be honest it does sound broken. Have you tried installing with the ethernet plugged into an active router. Sometimes OS's will not see the ethernet unless it is active.