PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Perl Output of cd Command

melrom
January 28th, 2010, 11:47 PM
Hi everyone-

I've been experiencing some weird problems with a perl script that I moved from one server to another. perl version is perl, v5.8.8, running on RHEL.

The basic idea is the following. I check if a dir exists via the if(-d /path/of/dir) and then I try to cd into it (it's should be a link). Anyway, for example's sake:

my $temp = `cd /path/to/dir 2>&1`;
if($temp eq ''){
print "Empty\n";
}else{
print "!empty: $temp\n";
}

Even when /path/to/dir completely does NOT exist, I still get that $temp is an empty string. I was anticipating getting the 'cd: directory does not exist'. If I take away the 2>&1, I still get no output to the variable. I tried wrapping this in a system call:

my $temp = system("cd /path/to/dir");

except that gives me -1 when the directory DOES exist.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

myrtle1908
January 29th, 2010, 12:16 AM
If you just want to know if a particular directory is empty you can do

use strict;
use warnings;

my $dir = 'c:\temp\a'; # yes i'm stuck on windows today
if (scalar <$dir/*>) {
print "Not empty";
} else {
print "Empty";
}

You should also note that the 'system' function returns the exit status of the program/command. Have a read of this perldoc page

perldoc -f system

melrom
January 29th, 2010, 12:21 AM
I don't want to know if its empty. Sorry, I was typing up just a test string to print to the screen. I want to know if there's an error when it tries to cd into the directory.

Also, I know how system works. It should return 0 on successful cd into the directory. What I am saying is that it is currently returning -1 for the cd even when the dir exists and I can successfully cd /path/to/dir from command line.

Also, I read this:

In the shell you would type "cd /home" to change the workingdirectory to /home. You could write the following in your Perl script:

system("cd /home");

But it would have no effect. In fact, since the system call forksfrom the process used by the interpreter, it doesn't change the workingdirectory of your script. Instead, you can use a Perl function called"chdir":

chdir "/home";

from http://www.linuxforums.org/articles/learn-perl-in-10-easy-lessons-lesson-5_134.html.

But I technically don't want to actually cd into the directory. I just want to know if the cd would be successful. Perhaps checking if chdir fails would achieve the desired effect.

myrtle1908
January 29th, 2010, 01:22 AM
But I technically don't want to actually cd into the directory. I just want to know if the cd would be successful. Perhaps checking if chdir fails would achieve the desired effect.

Then I suppose you can just check if its a directory and see if you have read access eg

use strict;
use warnings;

if (-d -R 'c:\temp\a') {
print "Is a dir and can read";
} else {
print "Not a dir and no read access";
}

melrom
January 29th, 2010, 01:24 AM
That'll work! Thank you! :)