PDA

View Full Version : Is MacOS 9 freeware?

BWF89
March 3rd, 2006, 11:21 PM
I told my parents that I was going to install Linux on my iMac G3 when I get it but they said that isn't a good idea because I don't think their going to give me the MacOS installation discs and if something goes wrong and Linux won't install I won't have an operating system to use.

To make them feel better does anyone know if Apple released MacOS9 as freeware? Or if it can be purchased from them for a fee? I thought I saw it avalible as a free download on their site but I didn't see it when I just checked there.

If it isn't freeware does anyone know any sites where I could obtain a backup copy?

weatherman
March 3rd, 2006, 11:24 PM
you don't have do delete macOs, you can keep both and dual boot

Jason_25
March 3rd, 2006, 11:24 PM
So order the installation discs from apple? I don't think they charge for the os. Honestly, if you plan on keeping an os, you have to have the system discs for it.

BWF89
March 3rd, 2006, 11:25 PM
So order the installation discs from apple? I don't think they charge for the os.
Ever since they came up with Mac OSX it's seemed like Apple has eraced every trace of their previous operating systems from their site.

John.Michael.Kane
March 3rd, 2006, 11:45 PM
imac restore disk-> http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&from=R10&fstype=1&catref=C6&satitle=iMac+restore+disk&sacat=3792%26catref%3DC6&bs=Search&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=ZIP%2FPostal&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=1&fsoo=1

engla
March 3rd, 2006, 11:47 PM
MacOS is not freeware and probably never will be...

Apple released MacOS 7.5.5 to the public though, was available from their ftp for some time ago. You have to have at least 8.6 for it to be funny to use though :-(

btw, why don't you have the discs that came with the computer left? And note that you could just as well run OS X on that box (instead of OS9).

xequence
March 3rd, 2006, 11:55 PM
OS7 is freeware. OS8 isnt, but people want it to be.

evilmrt
March 3rd, 2006, 11:57 PM
Apple and OS9. Ah...the memories. I had an old world mac not to long ago, and upgraded it to the max and put OS9 on it. Nice little OS...

Except that like someone just said, they just about removed every mention from it from the face of the planet. You can't get an up-to-date version of ANYTHING on OS9. Not even Mozilla! Heck, they didn't even bother to port Firefox to OS9 :???: But they ported it to BeOS? :confused:

BWF89
March 3rd, 2006, 11:58 PM
btw, why don't you have the discs that came with the computer left? And note that you could just as well run OS X on that box (instead of OS9).
I didn't get the computer yet. I'm won the computer in a drawing at my school and I'm getting it on Thursday.

So since I'm getting it from my school I don't know if their have the install discs. They may have just bought a couple of installation discs and a few hundred software licences for them to install them on their computers.

Theres no way I'm going to pay $150 for an OS that I'm going to be running on an acient G3. I was planning to install Ubuntu Breezy w/Window Maker but my parents who are paranoid wanted me to stick with Mac incase I didn't get the discs and eraced MacOS by installing Linux and for somereason Linux didn't work. Yes, I could duel-boot but I don't want 2 OS's on my computer when one of them is 7 years old and incompatible with all the programs I use.

followme
March 4th, 2006, 01:26 AM
why don't you just play with the live cd? That's the reason they have it so you can demo it on your system before you commit. Better yet, if you want to still use it and store data, attach a usb storage, boot the live cd and save any files you may want to the usb drive. Allows you to test the G3, and you won't have to worry about wiping out OS9.

Brunellus
March 4th, 2006, 01:29 AM
abandonware!

poofyhairguy
March 4th, 2006, 02:05 AM
Ubuntu is such and upgrade over OS9 that I honestly don't think it matters that much!

xequence
March 4th, 2006, 02:48 AM
Ubuntu is such and upgrade over OS9 that I honestly don't think it matters that much!

Yea, and XFCE has a great platinum theme if you want it to look like OS9 :)

adamb10
March 4th, 2006, 03:25 AM
I wish I could boot into OS 9 on my mac mini. I would love to try old school Apple. :)

JAwuku
March 4th, 2006, 03:31 AM
Maybe you could try purchasing it 2nd hand off ebay or Amazon etc. I;m sure someone would be selling it cheaply. Then if the Linux installation somehow dfoesn't go to plan, you always have a fallback option.

dada1958
March 4th, 2006, 09:52 AM
What are you going to do with Mac OS 9? I abandoned it totally from my Macs home and at my work. It's a dead OS though not that stable :)
I'd suggest to look for an earlier version of Mac OS X if you want to stick with the brand or just play with the Ubuntu Live CD to see if your iMac is working well with it. It should be working with sufficient RAM.
Mac OS 9 is so obsolete that you'll have to stick with MS IE as web browser, with the alternatives you have access to much more software.

BWF89
March 4th, 2006, 12:36 PM
why don't you just play with the live cd?
Ofcourse! I forgot that they have LiveCD's for other arcitectures than i386 now.

Leo_01
March 4th, 2006, 02:06 PM
can macs dual boot?

engla
March 4th, 2006, 02:13 PM
can macs dual boot?
Absolutely, works like a charm. On "new-world macs" (like this one) it's quite easy and friendly as you can even use apple's bootloader to switch between osx and ubuntu...