PDA

View Full Version : need some help upgrading my pc .

pirlo89
January 28th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Hello everyone.

I wasn't sure where to put this , so admins, feel free to move.

Anyway, i was thinking of upgrading my desktop . I have an ati radeon x1600 (it doesn't work well with opengl) that i would like to replace with nvidia geforce 9800 gt, or an nvidia 280gtx.

i was also thinking of upgrading my 2 giga ram to 4 giga so i can run virtualbox better.

But anyway, i just want to hear about your experience with the aforementioned video cards . what i want to know mostly is how easy it is to install on ubuntu 9.10 , their support for opengl and do they work fully under ubuntu.

Thanks in advance :) .

hessiess
January 28th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Generally NVidia cards work flawlessly with the closed drivers.

hhlp
January 28th, 2010, 08:30 PM
i have a nvidia 9888gt too pci express with 1 gb RAM and it works perfectly
ink ubuntu karmic 9.10 instal it and go to system - administration and hardware controler after install and is automatically recognized

john_spiral
January 28th, 2010, 11:14 PM
try sliming down your OS -> lightweight window manager, before shelling out money on hardware.

Skripka
January 28th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Hello everyone.

I wasn't sure where to put this , so admins, feel free to move.

Anyway, i was thinking of upgrading my desktop . I have an ati radeon x1600 (it doesn't work well with opengl) that i would like to replace with nvidia geforce 9800 gt, or an nvidia 280gtx.

i was also thinking of upgrading my 2 giga ram to 4 giga so i can run virtualbox better.

But anyway, i just want to hear about your experience with the aforementioned video cards . what i want to know mostly is how easy it is to install on ubuntu 9.10 , their support for opengl and do they work fully under ubuntu.

Thanks in advance :) .

You need a good PSU to run a GTX Nvidia. The GTX series needs at TWO 6pin(2X3) connectors off your PSU snake to power it.