PDA

View Full Version : 2 persons exchanging SAME router-->setup required AGAIN???

Stan_1936
January 28th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Cable modems...i.e. NOT dialup.

In 2003, a router(D-Link) was setup on person 1's PC in City 1. Internet Service Provider = ISP "A".

Person 2 is not very comfortable with setting up routers. Anything beyond Plug'n Play could be problematic. Person 2 is with Internet Service Provider = ISP "B".

Question: Can the router router be unplugged and simply plugged into person 2's PC, and modem, in City 2? OR does person 2 need to go through the setup wizard CD BEFORE they can use it?

earthpigg
January 28th, 2010, 07:17 PM
probably will need to set up.

Stan_1936
January 28th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Damn!

Why?

earthpigg
January 28th, 2010, 07:33 PM
your ISP may have some method by verifying that the user with a given router is indeed a paying customer.

on my router, i have to input a 'key code'.

pwnst*r
January 28th, 2010, 07:51 PM
If it's a router provided by your ISP, they'll probably need to intervene. If not, nope.

Grifulkin
January 28th, 2010, 08:07 PM
If it is your own router and you are just plugging it into another modem, you shouldn't need to do anything to it, it should just work again. I used the same router at home and school and never had to change anything on it. So worked for me.

doas777
January 28th, 2010, 08:12 PM
the way my isp works, yes and no. the only ISP specific parameter is the DNS servers for their local network.
you could just configure it to use opendns addresses to get around that issue.

oldsoundguy
January 28th, 2010, 09:11 PM
A question:
Do you mean actually TWO separate internet providers?

Not possible on the same cable/dsl broadband. You have one ISP in that case.

You can SHARE that ISP and be on at the same time using a router. (as long as you do not install networking between the computers .. neither can access the other!)

I have 7 on line computers in this place. Two are XP machines, 2 are running 9.10, one (the main box) runs 8.04 LTS, 1 running the latest Linux Mint, and one running the latest Mythbuntu.
They are networked and share 5 printers and data across the network.
All run BOINC for UCBerkeley, so are on line 24/7
4 of the boxes are running wireless to my router.
3 are hard wired to the router.

pwnst*r
January 28th, 2010, 09:17 PM
A question:
Do you mean actually TWO separate internet providers?

Not possible on the same cable/dsl broadband. You have one ISP in that case.

Re-read the first post.

lisati
January 28th, 2010, 09:24 PM
If it's a combined router & modem and different ISPs are involved, chances are the modem part will need to be reconfigured with a different user name/password for the connection to the internet.

Stan_1936
January 28th, 2010, 09:39 PM
^^^It's not a combined router and modem. Just a simple D-Link wired only router.

If it's a router provided by your ISP, they'll probably need to intervene. If not, nope.

It's not provided by the ISP.

your ISP may have some method by verifying that the user with a given router is indeed a paying customer.

That is something that I truly do not know as the thing was set up nearly 7 years ago.

Anyways, person 2 will just have to give it a go and see what happens. I think I'm going to mark this as solved as I think have all the information I need.

oldsoundguy
January 29th, 2010, 03:56 AM
Re-read the first post.

I did .. still maintain that one ISP ONLY ... over cable or DSL. No matter what .. You can not make the router choose another ISP if it is NOT THERE!

And WHY? ISP just gets you on line and offers storage and mail service .. really nothing more than that for most.

Different HOME pages? that can be done on the computer in the browser preferences.

Bottom line .. it will save MONEY by both utilizing the same provider.

Stan_1936
January 30th, 2010, 12:40 AM
I did .. still maintain that one ISP ONLY ... over cable or DSL....Bottom line .. it will save MONEY by both utilizing the same provider.

Unfortunately, that can't and won't happen.

Interesting little post there though. Food for thought.........