PDA

View Full Version : Totem playing WMV9, natively - oh yes

Lovechild
March 3rd, 2006, 10:59 PM
For those of you who already know, I'm on the Fluendo beta team and I promise to do updates when we got access to cool codecs, I assume everyone will be pleased to know that we now have a really well working wmv (wmv9 supported amongst other revisions I'm told).

here's a screenshot of totem playing the Channel9 XPS presentation - wmv9 without a glitz, this is a presentation of the msdn website.

http://www.lovesunix.net/wmv-playing-fc5.png

And no, I'm not allowed to give you a copy, you'll have to buy your own once it hits the store, but I can tell you that the playback is extremely good. No problems what so ever with the files I've thrown at it so far.

xequence
March 3rd, 2006, 11:59 PM
Whats Fluendo, what does it have to do with totem, and why do we have to buy it?

BWF89
March 4th, 2006, 12:00 AM
He said you'll have to buy it. So I'm assuming it's proprietary software and they just bought the licence to use the codec.

xequence
March 4th, 2006, 12:16 AM
He said you'll have to buy it. So I'm assuming it's proprietary software and they just bought the licence to use the codec.

I know he said we have to buy it. I asked for an explanation basically...

Basically it was an extension of the "What is it" question ;)

Derek Djons
March 4th, 2006, 12:23 AM
For information about Fluendo please visit: http://www.fluendo.com/

xequence
March 4th, 2006, 12:59 AM
Hey... Wasnt Fluendo the people who payed something to someone so everyone on linux could use something free?

majikstreet
March 4th, 2006, 02:10 AM
? How does a picture of a copier show totem playing WMV9?

ice60
March 4th, 2006, 02:13 AM
lol i was hoping someone would ask :mrgreen:

Lovechild
March 4th, 2006, 05:50 AM
Well the issue is that you can't take screenshots of totem playing something as it will turn black - totem however has a built in screenshot thingy, but only of totem itself.

Rather cumbersome to be honest.

I guess since I don't make a habit out of lying to you people so you so arogantly assume, you'll have to take my word for it.

xequence
March 4th, 2006, 05:53 AM
I am so confused right now about this.

What do we arrogantly assume? And what will we have to take your word for? WMV playing in totem? I am sorry but I dont see what is so signifigant about that anyway.

BoyOfDestiny
March 4th, 2006, 06:16 AM
Well the issue is that you can't take screenshots of totem playing something as it will turn black - totem however has a built in screenshot thingy, but only of totem itself.

Rather cumbersome to be honest.

I guess since I don't make a habit out of lying to you people so you so arogantly assume, you'll have to take my word for it.

I believe you. I just want to mention you have the same option as those who use tvtime. Take your screenshot, and take your internal screencap. Fire up the gimp, paste your screencap in. :)

Lovechild
March 4th, 2006, 06:33 AM
I believe you. I just want to mention you have the same option as those who use tvtime. Take your screenshot, and take your internal screencap. Fire up the gimp, paste your screencap in. :)

Then people would say I'm cheating as it's not possible.. no?

Lovechild
March 4th, 2006, 06:51 AM
I am so confused right now about this.

What do we arrogantly assume? And what will we have to take your word for? WMV playing in totem? I am sorry but I dont see what is so signifigant about that anyway.

This is the first time we have had this capability natively, this means we cna get 64-bit. ppc easily and legally - for people who like wmv and other codecs this is important - I personally don't need it but some people might like it.

bored2k
March 4th, 2006, 07:17 AM
How much will it cost? Keep in mind that should it ever happen, CNR would be offering a similar service (and a few thousand applications more) for a relatively low price.

Lovechild
March 4th, 2006, 08:26 AM
How much will it cost? Keep in mind that should it ever happen, CNR would be offering a similar service (and a few thousand applications more) for a relatively low price.

They don't let us in on the business model, but I imagine it will be more than fair - Fluendo are a topnotch company and they develop this mainly to support it in their streaming server I suspect so this is just a positive sideeffect.

bjweeks
March 4th, 2006, 09:36 AM
It will never be legal in the us...

DrFunkenstein
March 4th, 2006, 09:41 AM
It will never be legal in the us...
Of course it will be. That the whole point.

P.S.: Great news btw.
Any word on when Fluendo thinks this might be available?

bjweeks
March 4th, 2006, 09:43 AM

Microsoft has a pantent on it, so no.

Lovechild
March 4th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Microsoft has a pantent on it, so no.

The whole point is that Fluendo bought the right to use the patent bits - so you get LEGAL NATIVE WMV9 support.

bjweeks
March 4th, 2006, 09:59 AM
Microsoft did what? Thats amazing if they got microsoft to licence it.

Lovechild
March 4th, 2006, 10:00 AM

Largely depends on amount of bugs in the code - from what I see on my test setup, it should be ready to ship REALLY soon, it hasn't failed to play one file I threw at it.

If you have some WMV files lying around I would be most interested in testing them on the codec to improve the final product. Please PM me with links.

As I don't like nor need the WMV9 plugin and I get a free copy when it goes final as a thanks for beta testing - if I'm allowed I plan to give my copy away (details to be posted on my blog come that day).

DrFunkenstein
March 4th, 2006, 10:08 AM
Largely depends on amount of bugs in the code - from what I see on my test setup, it should be ready to ship REALLY soon, it hasn't failed to play one file I threw at it.

If you have some WMV files lying around I would be most interested in testing them on the codec to improve the final product. Please PM me with links.

As I don't like nor need the WMV9 plugin and I get a free copy when it goes final as a thanks for beta testing - if I'm allowed I plan to give my copy away (details to be posted on my blog come that day).
Ah, sounds good, I'm really looking forward to it.
I don't have any wmv9 files lying around here though, I only stumble upon them when browsing the web with my ibook running linux, for example german news sites like www.tagesschau.de or www.heute.de use them. So having wmv9 support on ppc really would be awesome.

Lovechild
March 4th, 2006, 10:54 AM
The problem with a lot of those online streams is that they either us MMS which is outdated and unsupported by Microsoft or they check for WMP instead of parsing the info to the system to play media files.

Idiotic I know but complain to the websites in question.

Lovechild
March 4th, 2006, 03:22 PM
I just asked the lead tester for a quote and very priminary none binding:

<Uraeus> Lovechild, it depends a lot on how we end up packaging them and which codec, The final prices are going to be in the range 1-5 USD

DrFunkenstein
March 4th, 2006, 04:06 PM

<Uraeus> Lovechild, it depends a lot on how we end up packaging them and which codec, The final prices are going to be in the range 1-5 USD
Sounds reasonable.
Any idea how they are going to offer it, that is, will they offer distribution specific packages and if so any word on which distributions they want to target innitially?

Iandefor
March 4th, 2006, 06:01 PM

<Uraeus> Lovechild, it depends a lot on how we end up packaging them and which codec, The final prices are going to be in the range 1-5 USD $5 US? And is this just for the wmv9 codec? Because that's more than fair. Hell, that feels like stealing, it's so cheap!

Then again... "none binding"...

Lovechild
March 4th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Sounds reasonable.
Any idea how they are going to offer it, that is, will they offer distribution specific packages and if so any word on which distributions they want to target innitially?

During testing we get precompiled .so files which just go in ~./gstreamer-0.10/plugins and voila it works no additional steps needed.

I know that we have testers on Fedora and Ubuntu - I expect Gentoo as well. Solaris is in the pipeline I'm told.

DrFunkenstein
March 4th, 2006, 09:20 PM
During testing we get precompiled .so files which just go in ~./gstreamer-0.10/plugins and voila it works no additional steps needed.

I know that we have testers on Fedora and Ubuntu - I expect Gentoo as well. Solaris is in the pipeline I'm told.
I see. Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.
This is really an exciting project.

tikal26
March 4th, 2006, 09:39 PM
great, I think taht offering leagal codecs is a nice thing. It might be off topic, but I heard that fluendo offered a plugin for mp3 but I don't know anything else about it. DO yoiu use it? and How do you make it work?

briancurtin
March 5th, 2006, 04:32 AM

woedend
March 5th, 2006, 04:56 AM
tikal, go to the fluendo website, then go to the fluendo store. The only codec for purchase is the mp3 one at this point. You have to act as if you are purchasing it but the price will show as 0 euros, then you are able to download it. Installation instructions come with, takes about 10 seconds for a slow typer.

tikal26
March 5th, 2006, 05:41 AM
thanks I went to their site but found no mention of it, but your directions helped me get to it