PDA

View Full Version : A Question About Licences

Rubruquis
January 28th, 2010, 03:34 PM
I'm trying to understand something. Linux distros are released with preinstalled programs made by different companies. Even if these programs are open source, should we still not agree with their licenses before using them?

I did not install a fresh linux distro for some time now so I don't remember if we agree on some terms before installing a distro (Ubuntu for example). Do we accept a license when we make a fresh install, and if we do, does this license include licenses of programs preinstalled in this distro?

samalex
January 28th, 2010, 11:47 PM
I'm trying to understand something. Linux distros are released with preinstalled programs made by different companies. Even if these programs are open source, should we still not agree with their licenses before using them?

I did not install a fresh linux distro for some time now so I don't remember if we agree on some terms before installing a distro (Ubuntu for example). Do we accept a license when we make a fresh install, and if we do, does this license include licenses of programs preinstalled in this distro?

I think most if not all applications that come with Ubuntu or any distro are licensed in such a way that doesn't require you to 'agree' to the license as you do with commercial software. For the applications that may have some restrictions, they bundle these in a different package that must be installed separately.

That's what I love about Linux and FOSS in general, no bothersome licenses to worry about :)

Take care,

Sam

snowpine
January 28th, 2010, 11:56 PM
It is called the GPL, or "General Public License" and you can read it here: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html

If you install "non-free" applications (like Adobe Flash) that are not covered by the GPL, then you may need to agree to a license for that.

juancarlospaco
January 28th, 2010, 11:58 PM
GPL dont force you to Accept...

Xbehave
January 29th, 2010, 12:02 AM
GPL, BSD are all distribution licenses, they don't apply to End Users, so don't expect an EULA in ubuntu any time soon.

Many Licenses please a restriction of no-further restrictions (that makes adding an EULA impossible)

earthpigg
January 29th, 2010, 12:46 AM
GPL, BSD are all distribution licenses, they don't apply to End Users, so don't expect an EULA in ubuntu any time soon.

Many Licenses please a restriction of no-further restrictions (that makes adding an EULA impossible)

that. Ubuntu (including everything installed by default) has no EULA, just a copyright (a few different ones, actually, but they all boil down to the same thing).

you need only abide by that copyright agreement if you intend to distribute.

Freedom Zero: The freedom to use the software for any purpose you damn well please.

no where in that is there any statement, implied or otherwise, that this is applied to copying or distributing the software.

you want to use it to kill puppies or design nuclear weapons or sell overpriced clothing (ie: The Gap)? go for it. that is between you and your government, not between you and any corporation.

(the actual term is "The freedom to run the program for any purpose," but i like my version better :P )