PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Black screen

joedotdunne
January 28th, 2010, 02:04 PM
Hi all,

I installed Xubuntu 9.10 on an older machine I have to try and give it a new lease of life.

The install went fine and I added the list of upgrades suggested and re-booted. When it re-booted my screen was black, I could no longer see my on screen icons either. I'm still able to see the tool bars and launch programs which run perfectly but when I exit them all I get is a black screen.

I should probably mention I had changed the appearance to one of the pre-config clear blue settings.

Any ideas on how to get the screen back?
As ever any help is gratefully appreciated.

Joe Dunne

dstew
January 28th, 2010, 08:26 PM
If you can see the menus, did you try changing the theme in User Interface Preferences?

anglican
January 29th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Hi all,

I installed Xubuntu 9.10 on an older machine I have to try and give it a new lease of life.

The install went fine and I added the list of upgrades suggested and re-booted. When it re-booted my screen was black, I could no longer see my on screen icons either. I'm still able to see the tool bars and launch programs which run perfectly but when I exit them all I get is a black screen.

I should probably mention I had changed the appearance to one of the pre-config clear blue settings.

Any ideas on how to get the screen back?
As ever any help is gratefully appreciated.

Joe Dunne

You also probably should mention which graphics card you have, try "sudo lspci" if you don't know already.

H

audiomick
January 29th, 2010, 04:32 PM
It sounds like the GUI is running, but it has lost it's background.

On standard Ubuntu, if you right click on an empty part of the desktop, there is an entry for choosing the background in the context menu. I am not sure if this is the case for Xubuntu.