PDA

View Full Version : BIOS update from Toshiba broke laptop

dmillerw
January 28th, 2010, 06:16 AM
So I'm repairing this laptop for a friend, removing viruses and such, and it suddenly shuts off, It does this a couple more times until I finally get fed up and start looking for an answer.

I find one, in the form of a BIOS update from Toshiba, I run it, taking care to follow all the instructions, (Connect laptop to AC power, close all other applications, etc.)

It runs, then 10 seconds later, it shuts off, and won't power back on again. I Google some more and find out this is a common problem, and the cost to fix it is $100.

Should I or my friend have to pay that, isn't it the company's fault for supplying a faulty update?

darco
January 28th, 2010, 06:52 AM
Tell him what happened. If he really feels it was not your fault, then he may pay. If you may lose his friendship, then you pay. Compromise and pay half?

What a perfect excuse to go buy the (max)iPad!

dmillerw
January 28th, 2010, 06:54 AM
I'm just wondering if I (or he) should have to pay, as I said, isn't it the company's fault for supplying a faulty update?

clonne4crw
January 29th, 2010, 02:58 AM
Ummm. Well let's put it like this: Toshiba released the BIOS update with the intention that it would enhance or at least fix problems in the laptop. But it didn't, and you, the end user, got screwed over. It is Toshiba's fault for releasing a faulty patch saying that it would make things better. They are responsible for the damage. It's not your fault. You did what they told you to install it, right? You should NOT have to pay to get this fixed. I think that's ridiculous.

Now what do you say to your friend? "Sorry dude but Toshiba's update screwed up your computer". But you did install it for him, so I would take the responsibility of getting it fixed somehow.

forrestcupp
January 29th, 2010, 03:53 AM
A classic reason to not be everyone's free tech support. :)

Definitely talk to Toshiba about this.

Techsnap
January 29th, 2010, 10:29 AM
This is why you Google stuff before you apply BIOS updates, especially when they're not custom built stuff. OEM Updates a lot of the time have caused stuff to break. For example on a Packard Bell once the BIOS update caused the recovery program to no longer work.

That time though it needed it because I was upgrading the CPU and I would have reinstalled Windows from a proper disc anyway, but still.

What made you want to upgrade the BIOS anyway? If everything was working properly in that aspect, you should never have done it. What you say in the OP does not look BIOS related.

lisati
January 29th, 2010, 10:36 AM
I totally agree that if the update was obtained directly from Toshiba, and all the instruction given by Toshiba were followed, then the OP should not have to pay. That's why there are consumer protection laws, why doctors have malpractice insurance, and other things of a similar nature: things can (and sometimes do) go wrong, and if it's not the customer's fault, they should be able to have it put right at no cost.

dmillerw
January 30th, 2010, 07:41 AM
This is why you Google stuff before you apply BIOS updates, especially when they're not custom built stuff. OEM Updates a lot of the time have caused stuff to break. For example on a Packard Bell once the BIOS update caused the recovery program to no longer work.

That time though it needed it because I was upgrading the CPU and I would have reinstalled Windows from a proper disc anyway, but still.

What made you want to upgrade the BIOS anyway? If everything was working properly in that aspect, you should never have done it. What you say in the OP does not look BIOS related.
There was a reason for the BIOS upgrade, the screen would intermitently shut off, and required me to reboot the comnputer before it worked again.

BIOS Upgrade download page (http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?ct=DL&os=&category=&moid=1854774&rpn=PSAFGU&modelFilter=A215-S7413&selCategory=3&selFamily=1073768663)

Version 1.70 - 2008-02-28

* Added support for Windows Vista SP1.
* A change was made to an AMD SB600 power management register.
* A change was made to resolve a very intermittent blank screen issue.

That is why I installed it

--

I've told my friend, and he wants me to call Toshiba, any advice on getting this quickly resolved?

tubasoldier
January 30th, 2010, 07:44 AM
same crap happened to me once. toshiba doesn't care. they don't care about you or anything you own or bought from them.

I fixed mine by removing windows. if you go this route back up your data first and make sure you have a recovery disk.

dmillerw
January 30th, 2010, 08:09 AM
same crap happened to me once. toshiba doesn't care. they don't care about you or anything you own or bought from them.

I fixed mine by removing windows. if you go this route back up your data first and make sure you have a recovery disk.

Figures, but sadly I kind of need there help ATM.

-Typed on a DSi, so sorry for misspeelings-

lisati
January 30th, 2010, 08:16 AM
toshiba doesn't care. they don't care about you or anything you own or bought from them.

My experience is different. My laptop's keyboard suffered minor damage a few months back that was beyond my skills to fix, and Toshiba were happy to fix it as if it were covered by warranty, even though they didn't have to.

Frak
January 30th, 2010, 08:24 AM
BIOS Updates are usually covered in an "If it's broken, you're professional enough to know it's broken, and you applying this patch will not be our responsibility". Back when I worked in a repair shop, we had a few computers die after BIOS updates. The only company I recall actually allowing us to ship it directly to them were Apple, since their EFI updates are shipped as a normal application update. Dell, HP, and Sony refused to repair them without a fee because of what I said above.

dmillerw
January 30th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Seriously?

Well, that sucks, still, I may as well try.

clonne4crw
February 1st, 2010, 05:37 AM
Wow. So what I get out of this is NOT to apply BIOS updates, huh
?

dmillerw
February 1st, 2010, 07:09 AM
?

At least from Toshiba.

Roasted
February 1st, 2010, 07:36 AM
I'd raise holy hell with Toshiba. I've had nothing but problems with Toshiba laptops lately. Never buying one again. They are below eMachines, in my eyes.

Chronon
February 1st, 2010, 11:13 PM
?

They should generally be regarded as a risky operation. There is a chance that you brick your computer any time you do this (at least special hardware is required to recover from flashing a bad BIOS).

I always do a lot of homework about a particular BIOS version with my particular hardware before applying an update.

clonne4crw
February 3rd, 2010, 02:28 AM
I'd raise holy hell with Toshiba. I've had nothing but problems with Toshiba laptops lately. Never buying one again. They are below eMachines, in my eyes.

Man, I used to LOVE Toshiba laptops until fairly recently. They just don't make computers like they used to.