PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Load Difficulty After Install

dimzamatic
January 28th, 2010, 05:37 AM
Okay, So. Lets Start from the beginning.

I Grabbed Ubuntu 9.10 and installed it without error using the entire disk. I didn't encrypt the home directory or do the install with the extra encryption and LVM. I am running a Gateway FX 7805u notebook, 4g ddr3, habatchi 280g hard, dual core intel, Nvidia 9800m gts. The problem is that once it is installed and at the end of the installation it asks to remove the disk so the the system can restart and you can go to the desktop for the first time. I remove the disk, let it restart, the Grub loads, the screen (RGB external monitor plugged in to the side of the laptop because the laptops screen is broken and removed) flashes to a darker black, then flashes back to a brighter gray and has the Ubuntu symbol on it as if the os is just about ready to load to the desktop, then the screen flashes to a darker black again and thats it. Im curious if the problem is that im running a external monitor and the os IS loading completely but it not showing up on the plugged in monitor and trying to show up instead on the the actual laptop screen that is non-existent.

I have tried downloading different ubunto iso's and installing off them, have tried different tweaks such as ext2, ext4, ntfs. Nothing seems to fix this problem. Is there something i am overlooking? I have tried Gparted and setting up the partions myself prior to install (primary ext2 with / runline, and swap) but that failed also. I was running Winows 7 rc client prior to switching over to ubuntu. I need my notebook up and running to file mine and my gfs taxes. Help would be most appreciated.

Ps. If i try to run the live cd the same problem with the load hanging after the ubuntu system happens and also with the graphical installation option. I can only open the Text installation.

(I also posted this in Beginners. I was unsure if this should be here or there. Sorry for wasting bandwith)