PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Netbook install help

audichris
January 28th, 2010, 12:17 AM
trying to install ubuntu netbook remix on acer aspire one netbook. i used the usb-creator.exe tool to make bootable usb drive. when i boot from the usb drive it comes up to the boot options screen. but when i try to either install or run ubuntu from disk it goes to a black screen and stops or goes to a page long error message saying "cannot mount drive" and a list of command options. i also am not sure if setup gives you the option to reformat the hard drive. or if this has to be done prior to booting from ubuntu usb-disk.

darkod
January 28th, 2010, 12:22 AM
Yes, the installer will give you option to format whole disk and use it. It's called like "Erase and use entire disk" or similar.
Unless you manage to get an error message from the screen, we can't know why you can't use Try Ubuntu or Install Ubuntu options.

redkcir
January 28th, 2010, 01:05 AM
I have an Aspire one and did an install on a SD card. I formatted the SD and installed ubuntu while the SD card was in a USB reader. I then changed my boot priority to look at the USB first. Now I just insert the SD and boot to what every OS I want.

audichris
January 28th, 2010, 01:44 AM
thanks to a post in another thread i got it taken care of. only took like 45 min. to find it... for other users with the same problem: when using usb-creator.exe in windows click the ("discarded on shutdown, unless you save them elsewhwere") option on the bottom of the screen. many thanks to REVELATE for your post.