PDA

View Full Version : Probably a scam but..

gletob
January 27th, 2010, 11:26 PM
What do you guys think?

estyles
January 27th, 2010, 11:29 PM
"Priority Used Car Supercenter"??? Yeah, that's a scam.

gletob
January 27th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Just a word of mention, if it help priority is a reputable family of dealearships in the Richmond Metro Area.
http://www.priorityauto.com/

squaregoldfish
January 27th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Regarding the second one, you'll generally find that this happens (at least, it does in the UK):

You win a prize, and phone the number to find out what you've won. The call is charged at some obscene amount per minute.
The $2 bill prize is the most common prize won, and it's the last to be described, by which time you've spent $5 on the phone call.
It's not worth your while going to the HQ to pick up $2, so the company has made $4-5 on the phone call, and they don't have to give you anything. Genius!

It's not technically a scam, as the prize is there if you want to collect it. In any case, don't touch them.

Steve.

gletob
January 27th, 2010, 11:40 PM
BTW that's the front and back of the same thing, the phone number is 1-877 toll free, it says I won, and I scratched 25000 dollars. I still don't trust it.

squaregoldfish
January 27th, 2010, 11:47 PM
OK, so you've won. I'll bet that every scratchcard is a winner* - there's 100,000 prizes, and you can be sure that not that many people will see this advert.

So now you've won, have to go to the HQ to get your prize, which from reading the small print will* be a $2 bill - there's 100,000 prizes, and 999,997 of those are the $2.

It'll cost you more than $2 to go to the HQ, and while you're there you'll doubtless get a full-on sales pitch before they hand over the pointlessly small amount of money. Don't waste your time. Unless you want to buy a used car from these people, don't go and visit them. The odds of you making money on this competition, even though you've won it, are 3:100,000, or 0.00003%.

Steve.

*I'd put more than $2 on it!

lykwydchykyn
January 27th, 2010, 11:51 PM
BTW that's the front and back of the same thing, the phone number is 1-877 toll free, it says I won, and I scratched 25000 dollars. I still don't trust it.

Notice some subtleties:

- It does not say to scratch off to see WHAT you have won, it says to scratch off to see IF you have won. In other words, there is no stated correlation between what you see under the scratch-off and what you've actually won.

- It says that if you see 3 "$25000" you are a 'winner'. It does not say of what. Notice that it does not indicate any combination results in any particular prize.

I'm sure you won the $2. Or a chance to enter a drawing for the prizes listed. It's not a scam per se, just carefully worded to deceive the unwary.

Kai69
January 28th, 2010, 12:05 AM
gletob (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=331312) as you said I still don't trust it .Theres your answer go with your gut insticts if it dosn't feel right its not right and yes ive seen these scams before.

forrestcupp
January 28th, 2010, 12:13 AM
Car places do that all the time. It's not a scam where they're going to steal anything from you.

It's just their way to get you to their car lot to try to sell you a car. You go there to find out what you win, you find out it's not much, and they try to sell you a car.

People who are weak enough to be duped are good targets for car salesmen. ;)

audiomick
January 28th, 2010, 12:21 AM
Have you read odds in the fine print on the back? 1:100,000 for the $25,000 prize.

There will be a prize, otherwise they can be sued. The other side of the coin is that the whole thing is geared to get people into the dealership so they can get in their ear.

Go and have a look if you want, maybe you have one a bigger prize. I always get the two dollars...;) But if you go, bear in mind what it is all about, and don't sign anything you haven't read at least 3 times.:p

nmccrina
January 28th, 2010, 12:22 AM
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/new_car.png

pemur1
January 28th, 2010, 01:04 AM
Is this the place that's also offering 1/2 price cars? We get a Priority commercial here in NC that's doing that. You have to read the small print. There's a car dealership commercial on the radio station I listen to that says they will pay off your credit card debt up to $8,000. What they neglect to tell you is that the $8,000 is rolled into the price of the car. I don't trust any car dealership. They're out to make a buck and that's it.

thatguruguy
January 28th, 2010, 01:10 AM
Since the odds of winning are stated in terms of your chances out of 100,000, my guess is they sent out 100,000 of these.

Of the 100,000 they sent out, 999,997 people win a $2 bill, 1 person will win $1,000, 1 person will win the ATV, and 1 person will win the new Camry.

It's not a "scam", it's a gimmick to get people into their show room.

Old_Grey_Wolf
January 28th, 2010, 01:24 AM
Notice some subtleties:

- It does not say to scratch off to see WHAT you have won, it says to scratch off to see IF you have won. In other words, there is no stated correlation between what you see under the scratch-off and what you've actually won.

- It says that if you see 3 "$25000" you are a 'winner'. It does not say of what. Notice that it does not indicate any combination results in any particular prize.

I'm sure you won the $2. Or a chance to enter a drawing for the prizes listed. It's not a scam per se, just carefully worded to deceive the unwary.

You got it right! It is a carefully worded marketing trick to get someone into their sales department.

Kai69
January 28th, 2010, 01:34 AM
Marketing trick = Scam Get the punters in anyway possible as long as we make a profit.
All companys use some sort of trick to get you to buy something. I used to work as a salesman most salesman dont have a conceance I just couldnt sell something if i knew the costomer couldnt afford it its just not right..

thatguruguy
January 28th, 2010, 02:06 AM
marketing trick and scam are 2 different things, really. You don't HAVE to buy anything to get the $2, although it probably costs more in gas to get to the dealership than $2.

I think of a scam as promising something that isn't delivered. Which isn't true in this case, since everything was clearly spelled out.

Kai69
January 28th, 2010, 02:28 AM
OK true if you went to the dealership showed them the ticket they give you $2 will they then let you go on your way?? How about 2 hours later when they still have no sale. $2 its just not worth it what a waste of your time. Or if your a bit to weak you will sign on the dotted line for something you dont want or need just to get the salesman off your back. Its just not right.

phrostbyte
January 28th, 2010, 02:40 AM
Typical shady dealings of a used car salesperson. :p How stereotypical!

gletob
January 28th, 2010, 04:12 AM
Hey thanks for the help everyone. It's much appreciated.