PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Sound only being recorded in left channel

higashi
January 27th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Since i've made the switch to ALSA, i've noticed that, in certain programs (such as audacity and the default sound recorder), my microphone will only record into the left channel.

The only programs that i use that actually hear both channels from my mic are aMSN and Skype.

How can i get audacity and sound recorder (and any other program that i may use in the future) to hear both channels of my mic?

robeast
January 28th, 2010, 01:58 AM
Is it a stereo microphone? If not then only recording to one channel on a stereo track is the correct result. The programs that "record" to both channels are made for chatting, so they map the single input to both channels so it doesn't hurt your ears getting the sound only through one channel.

higashi
January 30th, 2010, 07:29 AM
I've been using this mic for a long time and i've never had this problem before karmic.

AutoStatic
January 30th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Hello higashi, it's not a problem, you're microphone (assuming that it's mono) works as intended now. And what did you use before ALSA?

higashi
January 30th, 2010, 08:02 PM
well i was using pulseaudio (but i dont know if it was still working like this since i hadn't used my microphone with it yet).

Is there a way for me to get it back to recording both channels?

robeast
January 31st, 2010, 10:24 PM
Is it a stereo microphone?.

Is it a stereo microphone? If not then it is working correctly and you should record it to a MONO track.

higashi
January 31st, 2010, 10:49 PM
ok thanks, that worked. :)
Is there a way to set audacity & sound recorder to record mono by default?

higashi
February 6th, 2010, 05:57 AM
bump

niffcreature
February 6th, 2010, 10:22 PM
yeah...
um its the first thing you see in audacity preferences...

higashi
February 7th, 2010, 02:59 AM
ok, thanks!

cooper77z
February 7th, 2010, 03:10 AM
What is wrong with speaking on the mono side exactly? Or do you wish to ad dimesions to your vioce? You can do so on one channel and add sound effects on 5 or more other channels. What exactly is your complaint? How many channels do you want? That's how many channels and sound effects you can have. It's really kind of a fun experiment.

higashi
February 8th, 2010, 03:53 AM
Everything's fine now, thanks. I just couldn't figure out how to record mono properly. xD