PDA

View Full Version : Bittorrent Client: The best of the Best!

Dayofswords
January 27th, 2010, 10:39 PM
there's a lot of clients out there, so whats your favorite? why is it your favorite?
vote for more than one client and/or more than one reason if you like

Personally, i like Deluge, easy but there are some cool things it can do.

thanks to whoever fixed the title =)

The Men
January 27th, 2010, 10:42 PM
µtorrent - stable, powerful and .. small.

Xbehave
January 27th, 2010, 10:43 PM
Ktorrent, simple yet extensible (So simple i've written scripts for it) native KDE app.

steindor2
January 27th, 2010, 10:44 PM
transmission, it does what it is supposed to do.

hhlp
January 27th, 2010, 10:44 PM
Ktorrent for Kubuntu
Deluge for Ubuntu

kk0sse54
January 27th, 2010, 11:16 PM
rtorrent, nothing comes even close for me

Zoot7
January 27th, 2010, 11:26 PM
uTorrent in Windows, Vuze in Linux.

arnab_das
January 27th, 2010, 11:35 PM
deluge...this is especially good if ur used to utorrent. also its quite stable. vuze is also really cool. but i prefer the simplicity of deluge.

Barrucadu
January 28th, 2010, 12:29 AM
What, no rtorrent option? Madness!

RATM_Owns
January 28th, 2010, 12:33 AM
Took the words right from my mouth.
But this isn't madness.

THIS.

IS.

SPARTA!

SuperSonic4
January 28th, 2010, 12:35 AM
ktorrent. Much of it does the same job since my bandwidth sucks. Ktorrent got picked for lack of deps,

When I don't have the deps it's deluge because it's frequently updated

yester64
January 28th, 2010, 12:52 AM
I use Transmission and i am happy. But i am not a heavy user of p2p really so i can not say if its better than other apps. It does however a good job and stay with it.

cb951303
January 28th, 2010, 12:57 AM
the only thing I miss in transmission is queues. other than that it's pretty much complete. also it's the only client that has console, cocoa, qt, gtk and web front-end - pretty impressive.

Cabs21
January 28th, 2010, 01:01 AM
uTorrent because its fast, light, I know it well (from being a windows user) and its the only one that works on certain exclusive torrent sites. Have to run it in wine but I dont mind.

spupy
January 28th, 2010, 01:18 AM
Transmission - teh minimalism. Has all the features I need. Also a very nice web interface.

Dayofswords
January 28th, 2010, 01:25 AM

hehe, sorry, hadnt really heard of it, but hey, theres an other slot!

Grifulkin
January 28th, 2010, 03:38 AM
rTorrent is the torrent program. I just wish I could get it to work right, but as far as that goes Deluge is my number one on linux. uTorrent is a definite on windows though, the only one I would ever use on windows.

kk0sse54
January 28th, 2010, 03:41 AM
hehe, sorry, hadnt really heard of it, but hey, theres an other slot!

Blasphemy! :p

Icehuck
January 28th, 2010, 03:44 AM
rtorrent. Nothing comes close.

donniezazen
January 28th, 2010, 06:02 AM
Yeah uTorrent is the bestest.

5dolla
January 28th, 2010, 10:18 AM
transmission- havent had a reason to to replace it. it works great i use it daily,

RichardLinx
January 28th, 2010, 01:17 PM
KTorrent for Linux, uTorrent for Windows.

lotharmat
January 28th, 2010, 01:56 PM
uTorrent because its fast, light, I know it well (from being a windows user) and its the only one that works on certain exclusive torrent sites. Have to run it in wine but I dont mind.

I thought that Qbittorrent could mimic utorrent for the 'private trackers'

YeOK
January 28th, 2010, 05:14 PM
I thought that Qbittorrent could mimic utorrent for the 'private trackers'

It can spoof as a number of clients in the latest version. Its also my choice of client.

http://xs.to/thumb-EC62_4B61B8CA.jpg (http://xs.to/image-EC62_4B61B8CA.jpg)

SomeGuyDude
January 28th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Deluge for Linux, uTorrent for Windows.

rTorrent is a neat idea, but it doesn't do anything that Deluge can't unless you for some reason need to torrent over a network to another machine's drive.

madnessjack
January 28th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Transmission on Ubuntu, uTorrent for Windows.

Reason - minimalist. Gets job done.

Mr. Picklesworth
January 28th, 2010, 05:24 PM
I've always been happy with Transmission. One of the better examples for how to make a pretty looking GTK+ app, it's quiet, unobtrusive and simple to use, and it has a dbus interface! (Not much stuff in the dbus interface at the moment, granted, but it's there!).

ssj6akshat
January 28th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Deluge.Transmission eats my head everytime when it checks local data on start.

scouser73
January 28th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Deluge is the best but at the moment I've been experiencing problems with blocked ports, even though I've port forwarded correctly. I'm now using Transmission which is good.

Grenage
January 28th, 2010, 05:53 PM
rtorrent here, easily. It trounces all others and leaves their charred remains in the dust....

...assuming you can live without a GUI. wtorrent is a nice front end, but I'd use Deluge if I 'had' to use a GUI app. I automate everything with rssdler and utorrent, so I don't really have to deal with them past the setup.

Radicc
January 28th, 2010, 06:07 PM
rtorrent here.

Sunflower1970
January 28th, 2010, 06:23 PM
I'm happy with Deluge. I like the features and it's easy to use. Second fave is Transmission.

samh785
January 28th, 2010, 06:32 PM
I've always found Transmission to be both fast and user-friendly.

Rolcol
January 28th, 2010, 11:31 PM
Transmission.

It comes in many forms and there are remote control applications for my Android phone. I don't need the kitchen sink. I want something that can be accessed from wherever I need it and download well when I'm away. I've tried other clients but I'm in love with the smaller interface.

Also, Transmission changes really fast. If you're only using the version that ships with Ubuntu, you're missing out on the newer features. Magnet links! Yay!

Lacrocivious Acrophosist
January 29th, 2010, 12:20 AM
I have used Transmission on linux since a few weeks after the project began (early 2004?) and have been well pleased with it in terms of performance, as well as in terms of adherence to project design goals by the developers. Prior to Transmission I used the ncurses version of TheShadowsClient (aka BitTornado), specifically btlaunchmanycurses.py. After a few weeks of parallel testing, I found it easy to migrate to Transmission.

Transmission is robust, reliable, extremely resource friendly, and feature rich despite its tiny footprint. The ability to run it as a daemon, with cli talking to daemon, with gui talking to daemon, with gui standalone, or with web interface makes it among the most flexible clients, and its astonishingly small resource requirements make it ideal in situations where resource use is an issue.

Transmission is also my client of choice on OS X, where I find its performance on par with its linux version. I must also mention the user interface of the OS X client, which is gorgeous and well thought out. The developers have resisted bloat while offering a wealth of useful features in elegant fashion.

On WinOS, which I scarcely ever use for personal things anymore, I find uTorrent the clear champion, though not the only serviceable one.

I also find Deluge an attractive BitTorrent client on linux, and especially for those who may be migrating from WinOS and looking for a uTorrent style interface, Deluge may be a more immediately familiar environment. Though Deluge is also available for WinOS and OS X, I have not used it on those platforms myself.

Other clients I have used briefly -- Ktorrent, rtorrent, Vuze, Monsoon, BitTorrent -- have not matched well with my preferences or needs and despite periodic revisits of newer versions, I have not felt any desire to use them on a continuing basis.

Dayofswords
January 31st, 2010, 12:42 PM
looks like deluge and transmission are so far the favorites with utorrent not far behind

and it looks like people love features =)

i do like deluge for its nice layout of data and it having its daemon and client separate so i can remote control it and other ones running it from one client(eg. 3 seeders, 20miles away each, easy)
plus, the logo is blue, love the blue

markinf
January 31st, 2010, 02:47 PM
The best: uTorrent (But I don't like to use Wine to use it :/)

The Linux Best: Vuze (It's the best for Linux. But It's kinda heavy, sometimes I use it =D)

The one that I use mostly after Vuze: Deluge/KTorrent (Gnome/KDE)
Both brings everything thats interesting if you are a lot in p2p.

koleoptero
January 31st, 2010, 04:48 PM
rtorrent.