PDA

View Full Version : iChange, Apple's Next Big Buzz Product after the iPad?

HappinessNow
January 27th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Actually I just watched the complete keynote address, and I have to say this is an amazing product.

After seeing the accessories for the iPad, most notable the case, it is obvious that Apple or a third party will develop a case with a built in keyboard...so the transition to a convertible computer is not needed.

(marking the thread as solved)

Archival OP below:

iChange, Apple's Next Big Buzz Product after the iPad?

seems like a natural progression after the iPad launch for Apple to venture into the Convertible market, thus the iChange is the next predictable Apple product.

iChange, a tablet with a keyboard so you can change it in a twist from a tablet to a laptop much like Fujitsu's Lifebook T1010 Tablet PC:

Tristam Green
January 27th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Hell no. Why take a step backward?

HappinessNow
January 27th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Hell no. Why take a step backward?A step forward you mean my friend. :p

Tristam Green
January 27th, 2010, 08:54 PM
A step forward you mean my friend. :p

No, I mean a step backward, just as I said. Tablets have been made like the Lifebook for years. They're horrible.

ticopelp
January 27th, 2010, 09:03 PM
I have no idea what the next Apple product will be, but I'm sure I hate it and everyone who buys one! Grrrr! Arrgh!

TheNessus
January 27th, 2010, 09:09 PM
No, I mean a step backward, just as I said. Tablets have been made like the Lifebook for years. They're horrible.

So tell me - how are you going to type on the iPad?
You answer will be "a virtual keyboard on the iPad"...
But that means your screen real-estate will be cut in two halves: the keyboard and the input area. Not very comfortable.

Meaning, for REAL work, the iPad is useless. Better get a hybrid with a real keyboard.

Paqman
January 27th, 2010, 09:23 PM
Meaning, for REAL work, the iPad is useless.

Of course it is. It's a rich man's toy, designed for browsing the internet and reading books. I doubt that bothers Apple very much.

HappinessNow
January 28th, 2010, 03:36 AM
But that means your screen real-estate will be cut in two halves: the keyboard and the input area. Not very comfortable.

Meaning, for REAL work, the iPad is useless. Better get a hybrid with a real keyboard.

exactly, but more important then that is the Apple shareholders expect a new product launch every year or so...so to satisfy those who have a vested interest evolving into the convertible market is only a natural progression for Apple to go.

JDShu
January 28th, 2010, 04:10 AM
The IPed, the IPid, and the IPud is next... dunno in what order.

HappinessNow
January 28th, 2010, 05:05 AM
iPutz

samh785
January 28th, 2010, 05:08 AM

They sell a stand for it with a keyboard FYI, but I still wouldn't buy the DRM locked P.O.S. :D

phrostbyte
January 28th, 2010, 05:31 AM
Steve Jobs hates buttons. iPad/iPhone has like two buttons. On top of this, Apple has been removing buttons left and right from everything they make (including a button-less mouse). So, not going to happen.

TheNessus
January 28th, 2010, 05:35 AM
Steve Jobs hates buttons. iPad/iPhone has like two buttons. On top of this, Apple has been removing buttons left and right from everything they make (including a button-less mouse). So, not going to happen.
Well, you might have had a point had there not been for Macbooks and iMacs, they have keyboards you know.

phrostbyte
January 28th, 2010, 05:36 AM
Well, you might have had a point had there not been for Macbooks and iMacs, they have keyboards you know.

For now. :)

JDShu
January 28th, 2010, 05:36 AM
The Wall Street Journal had an interesting article that noted that Apple is not the first company that has tried to bring tablets into mainstream. Will be interesting if they manage to revolutionize the e-book industry like they're trying to.

Paqman
January 28th, 2010, 06:13 AM

The Macbook Wheel doesn't.

schauerlich
January 28th, 2010, 08:01 AM
Flimsy hinge is flimsy.

betrunkenaffe
January 28th, 2010, 08:09 AM
iHud - Reality Enhancement Glasses

HappinessNow
January 28th, 2010, 09:13 AM
No, I mean a step backward, just as I said. Tablets have been made like the Lifebook for years. They're horrible.Actually I have had a Fujitsu Lifebook for 4 years and it is the highest quality tablet/laptop I have ever seen. Fujitsu computers are one of the few computers that are actually made in Japan.

Flimsy hinge is flimsy.
Fujitsu swivel hinges are far from flimsy.

HappinessNow
January 28th, 2010, 10:57 AM
They sell a stand for it with a keyboard FYI, but I still wouldn't buy the DRM locked P.O.S. :Dwho wants to carry a separate stand and a separate keyboard around with them?...it doesn't make sense.

So would you buy a separate keyboard and stand for the office, and for home use?

lallalla
January 28th, 2010, 11:30 AM
of course one would never ever think about buying an apple product.... and anyway the ipad is of no interest to people who use their computer for what it was made for - work!

http://www.pcworld.com/article/188044/ipad_i_think_im_starting_to_get_it.html/

HappinessNow
January 28th, 2010, 01:38 PM
of course one would never ever think about buying an apple product.... and anyway the ipad is of no interest to people who use their computer for what it was made for - work!

http://www.pcworld.com/article/188044/ipad_i_think_im_starting_to_get_it.html/
Actually I just watched the complete keynote address, and I have to say this is an amazing product.

After seeing the accessories for the iPad, most notable the case, it is obvious that Apple or a third party will develop a case with a built in keyboard...so the transition to a convertible computer is not needed.

LepeKaname
January 28th, 2010, 01:46 PM
The only reason I'm not fully interested in it, is because I can't have Ubuntu running in that thing... maybe someday I will be able... just then, I will have a second thought. (I dislike DRMs and closed systems)

Groucho Marxist
January 28th, 2010, 01:58 PM

What about, "Ipaidforthis?" :D

Xbehave
January 28th, 2010, 04:11 PM
iHud - Reality Enhancement Glasses
You kid, but if they did release it, everybody would be amazed by how innovative they are (ignoring the fact that AR has been around for years)

ssj6akshat
January 28th, 2010, 05:44 PM
iFool like the company's market tactics

koleoptero
January 28th, 2010, 05:50 PM
http://jimfairthorne.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/icrap.jpg

EDIT: And...

http://blog.david-stingl.de/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/icrap.jpg

schauerlich
January 28th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Fujitsu swivel hinges are far from flimsy.

Maybe not at first, but give it 3 years of constant use and we'll see.

HappinessNow
January 28th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Maybe not at first, but give it 3 years of constant use and we'll see.
I've had mine 4 years and it is just as tight as day one.

What about, "Ipaidforthis?" :D

iPaid is pretty funny ;)

JSeymour
January 28th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Steve Jobs hates buttons. iPad/iPhone has like two buttons. On top of this, Apple has been removing buttons left and right from everything they make ...Apple's stubborn insistence that nobody needs more than one button on a mouse is why I own no Apple products to this day, and likely never will.

schauerlich
January 28th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Apple's stubborn insistence that nobody needs more than one button on a mouse is why I own no Apple products to this day, and likely never will.

Apple has had right/middle click since 2005.

markp1989
January 28th, 2010, 07:57 PM

+1, tables are nice, but with no tactile feedback, they are horid to type things on, thats why i havnt brought an touch only phone, im looking for somthing with a full slide out keyboard like the g1 , just cheaper lol

JSeymour
January 29th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Apple has had right/middle click since 2005.Couldn't have found it on the iBook I used for a while. Did their other laptops have a two- or three-button mouse?

Jim

steev182
January 29th, 2010, 03:43 PM
My old iBook had 2 finger click for right click. It wasn't so awful and not as bad as the original Mighty Mouse! OSX supported 2 button mice from release.

Those tablets are completely different to the iPad, and whilst I don't really like that it is locked down, I welcome the changes that will occur in the industry from it.

I also think that these devices do benefit from using an OS like iPhoneOS or Android rather than a fully fledged distribution/OS like Ubuntu or OSX.

Remember that the original iPhone was born from a project that sounds a hell of a lot like the iPad, so the fact that this is using iPhoneOS means nothing to me negatively. However, if 4.0 doesn't come with exposé to be able to switch between active apps, then I would probably wait for an Android powered competitor to this.

I think the biggest news about this is that they used (I know it's PA Semi, but) their own Processor. There could come a time when they go away from x86 again, and I think that would be a really interesting change.

Again, people might not like Apple, but I think they've done a really good (albeit with one arm behind the back - I still think they could've included a Front Facing Camera)job with this.

steev182
January 29th, 2010, 03:47 PM
I must say, I really enjoyed this blind Apple hatred, changing to a little bit of admiration for them after watching the keynote...

A step forward you mean my friend. :p

iPutz

HappinessNow
January 29th, 2010, 07:39 PM
I must say, I really enjoyed this blind Apple hatred, changing to a little bit of admiration for them after watching the keynote...I don't hate Apple, I actually like their products very much and use OSX on a daily basis, I was just trying to speculate where their innovation would lead next and thought others would to.

the iPutz post was a joke and just good clean fun with the utilization of "i" which is not solely an Apple habit, Google uses it too; ie iGoogle

wWales
January 29th, 2010, 08:35 PM
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/027/c/5/jobs_by_AlexanderFoss.jpg

RabbitWho
January 29th, 2010, 10:21 PM
I have no idea what the next Apple product will be, but I'm sure I hate it and everyone who buys one! Grrrr! Arrgh!

I think a tablet is a natural progression if you make crap mouses with only one button and you refuse to admit that's a mistake.
So I think the next innovation will be a macbook that comes with marshmallows you can toast when the power-pack catches fire.

schauerlich
January 29th, 2010, 11:25 PM
Couldn't have found it on the iBook I used for a while. Did their other laptops have a two- or three-button mouse?

Jim

Laptops don't have mice. If you mean touch pad, it has 2 finger tap for right click, two finger drag for scrolling, and the newer touchpads have pinch zoom, 3 and 4 finger gestures, etc.

amazingtaters
January 30th, 2010, 12:27 AM

Finally, I'll be able to get an apple branded pedometer with the iPed! With pedometer like that I could pick up all the chicks I could ever want and more!