PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't connect to Internet with DWL-G122

Missing_Number
January 27th, 2010, 07:25 PM
I can't connect to the internet in Ubuntu 9.10. I type in my WPA passcode, it tries to connect, then it says "connection failed". I know for a fact I entered the WPA key correctly.

I'm using a D-Link DWL-G122 USB Wirless Adapter and a DIR-655 Xtreme N Wireless Router.

Is this a driver issue? Is there a way I can install a new driver without having to connect to the internet?

(i.e. Download new driver onto thumb drive in Windows XP, load thumb drive in Ubuntu, install)

jacklinux
January 27th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Yes. download on another system and then install on ubuntu
Updating the driver can't do harm so if it doesn't work you can single it down to a router or adapter problem.

Missing_Number
January 27th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Thanks. That brings about two more questions:

1.) Does anybody know the CORRECT driver for DWL-G122 USB Wireless Adapter?

2.) Once I have the correct driver, how do I install it?

Missing_Number
January 27th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Something else I'd like to add.

This router and adapter combination worked fine on Ubuntu 9.04.

I later tried it on Ubuntu 9.10, Fedora 12, and Mandriva 2010.

It didn't work properly on any of them.

Just thought I'd add that.

GlennW
February 9th, 2010, 12:24 AM
Hey everyone, I need some help here. I'm a noob so be gentle.

I am running 9.10 on my box. Due to current circumstances, I'm not hard wired as I usually am. I'm doing some extended traveling and am using a d-link dwl-g122 usb wireless connector. In the previous place I was, I set up everything, plugged in the d-link usb and it worked fine, great solid connection with not one hiccup.

However, I am in a different location now. I have done the same thing and now to no avail. I can't get a connection, and if I do it's so very weak that firefox doesn't/won't connect to the internet.

I have a dell inspiron 6000 laptop as well and have it sitting right beside my ubuntu box. It has a fairly strong signal at this point which makes me wonder why the d-link doesn't function similarly.

I've run some of the same terminal commands as mentioned above but can't decipher them well enough to make the necessary adjustments.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.