PDA

View Full Version : iPad - Megathread incoming

Pages : [1] 2 3

HappinessNow
July 27th, 2009, 02:21 PM
It is confirmed that Apple is coming out with a 10" Tablet Computer, I predict it will be called the iPad. ;)

According to the Financial Times, Apple’s tablet computer will use the iPhone’s operating system, will connect to the Internet like the iPod Touch does (local Wifi networks), offer a larger screen than the iPhone/iPod and will be focused on providing convenient digital entertainment to users....Apple Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook has said Apple doesn’t want to compete with lower-end netbook makers, and the Financial Times says the tablet will sell for between $600 and $1000....Apple’s tablet is going to be a new way of computing, combining the ease of a netbook with the fun of an iPhone/iPod Touch, and perhaps a more exciting way to read ebooks than is currently offered by the Kindle. Apple is also working with record labels to give us a reason to buy full albums once again.
All of this is expected to be announced in September. http://societrends.com/2009/07/27/apple-sees-your-netbook-and-kindle-moves-you-one-tablet/

Apple is gambling that it can succeed where everyone else has flopped, including Microsoft (http://markets.ft.com/tearsheets/performance.asp?s=us:MSFT), which tirelessly pushed a tablet-ready version of its Windows operating system as a personal favourite of founder Bill Gates. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/28129982-7a18-11de-b86f-00144feabdc0.html?nclick_check=1

Skripka
July 27th, 2009, 02:22 PM
How easy will the screen scratch is the question. Hehehehee.

ELD
July 27th, 2009, 02:25 PM
"$600 and $1000" Bugger that.

HappinessNow
July 27th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Actually not easy at all if you put a protector on it, 3m sells excellent screen protectors for tablet and convertible computers (notebook/tablet computers).

quinnten83
July 27th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Shiny and expensive needless crap from Apple???
Me wants already!!

pwnst*r
July 27th, 2009, 02:56 PM

as "easy" as any other tablet pc.

deathsshadow77
July 27th, 2009, 03:34 PM
I have a feeling that its gonna be really breakable. Ive seen some pretty bad screen cracks on ipod touch/iphones from just one drop. I would imagine dropping this would be a nightmare.

Regenweald
July 27th, 2009, 03:39 PM
So a 10" iphone then. I should do a degree in marketing, preying on fools is too easy.

Matthewthegreat
July 27th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Will it run ubuntu?

Sealbhach
July 27th, 2009, 03:48 PM
It's the ergonomics I wonder about, will users be hunched over it sitting at a table, or if it's on your lap will it get hot?

DeadSuperHero
July 27th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Will it run ubuntu?

Probably not. If anything, they'll probably not even bother to put an optical drive in.

Marlonsm
July 27th, 2009, 04:08 PM
The way it is in the picture, it'd be a pain to type. The best (least bad) way would be in portrait mode, so you can use your thumbs to tyoe while holding it.

But IMO the iTablet or whatever they call it is just too expensive, sure, it's a nice concept, I think I'll wait for other brands to start making they versions of this kind of tablet before even considering one.

Matthewthegreat
July 27th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Will it run ubuntu?
Probably not. If anything, they'll probably not even bother to put an optical drive in.

Not interested then. I'll just stick with my netbook.

HappinessNow
July 27th, 2009, 04:28 PM

just use a flash drive to install Ubuntu

bryonak
July 27th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Hehe, finally the rumours Arrington has been talking about come true.
He introduced the CrunchPad (http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/06/03/crunchpad-the-launch-prototype/) concept a year ago and will hopefully be able to ship them soon.
Apple has much more resources to pour into development, so they might bring it to market first.
On the other hand, the CrunchPad is targeted to sell at about $300 ;)

unoodles
July 27th, 2009, 05:24 PM

I disagree. Someone somewhere will somehow boot a linux kernel on it.
Seriously, even the iPhone can boot linux. (http://www.iphonelinux.org/index.php/Main_Page)

DeadSuperHero
July 27th, 2009, 05:25 PM
I disagree. Someone somewhere will somehow boot a linux kernel on it.
Seriously, even the iPhone can boot linux. (http://www.iphonelinux.org/index.php/Main_Page)

That doesn't mean it runs it very well...it'll be a few years yet before we fully reverse-engineer iPhone drivers.

MikeTheC
July 27th, 2009, 06:27 PM
It's not a form factor I'm interested in, but I think it would be interesting to see from a proof-of-concept standpoint.

HappinessNow
July 27th, 2009, 09:32 PM
It's not a form factor I'm interested in, but I think it would be interesting to see from a proof-of-concept standpoint.Apple is trying to create the next big hit, you might say.

HappinessNow
December 29th, 2009, 06:12 AM
I wonder what ever happened to this rumor?

Exodist
December 29th, 2009, 06:15 AM
I wonder what ever happened to this rumor?
Dont know, haven't heard anything else about it either. :/

pwnst*r
December 29th, 2009, 06:29 AM
http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/28/apple-tablet-terrorized-by-component-rumors/

HappinessNow
December 29th, 2009, 06:35 AM
http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/28/apple-tablet-terrorized-by-component-rumors/Thanks for the link...so we will see what happens around March or April.

I wonder if this will compete with the Nook (BarnesandNoble's ebook powered by Google's Android OS) and the Kindle?

AllRadioisDead
December 29th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Not interested then. I'll just stick with my netbook.
Wow, really?
Why would you even want to run ubuntu on it?
Ubuntu is garbage on tablets.
Would you really plan on using the on screen keyboard for everything? Trust me, I have a tablet and I keep windows on it for a reason.

bashveank
December 29th, 2009, 07:19 AM
I'll be very interested in this if the rumors are true. If it runs a hybrid iPhone OS, then we'll likely get CS4 ported to Cocoa Touch. That alone would turn the iTablet into a must-buy for me.

lostinxlation
December 29th, 2009, 07:32 AM
I remember a picture of David Ditzel holding a prototype tablet computer they put Crusoe in. Wasn't that something Linus Torvalds wanted to make and the reason why he has joined TMTA ?

HappinessNow
December 29th, 2009, 08:34 AM
I remember a picture of David Ditzel holding a prototype tablet computer they put Crusoe in. Wasn't that something Linus Torvalds wanted to make and the reason why he has joined TMTA ?Any links to the Torvalds' connection?

HappinessNow
December 29th, 2009, 08:49 AM
funny I brought this thread back up, I just found this article:

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/12/28/what-would-a-10-inch-islate-look-like/?ref=technology

which leads you to this article:

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20091228PD212.html

3rdalbum
December 29th, 2009, 11:46 AM
That mockup looks like the Macbook Wheel!

Seriously - the people behind the "Apple tablet" rumours should get their story straight. Does it have an iPhone-like interface, or a Mac OS X desktop interface? I've seen pictures of both.

handy
December 29th, 2009, 01:05 PM
We'll start seeing a whole new range of hand-held/portable devices that connect to the net in the coming years.

Video via internet is the next big thing it would seem, they are going to start really pushing it next year according to this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8272003.stm

hanzomon4
December 29th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Here Apple goes again.. Well I don't know where a tablet fits in the techno landscape. I could use it as an ebook reader, mobile video, "netbook" type thing. However if it's bigger then my phone I won't be popping it out on the train. Plus my "new Android" phone, which I love!!!, can already do all of this, thanks to Apple's still amazing iPhone.

I could see using this as a replacement for my laptop when I want to have a computer on me but don't need all of the power and bulk of a macbook pro. In that case I guess this would fall into the netbook world of computing..

I just don't know..

hanzomon4
December 29th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Edit:oops

FinalCoyote
December 29th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Well if it's going to run iPhone OS then it sure ain't going to look like it's running MacOSX.

iPhone Linux is of course, not usable at all, still very much in development.

So i'm thinking no Linux for the Apple Tablet if indeed there is an Apple Tablet.

Plus, overpriced and very breakable probably.

Btw, i love apple stuff, it's so pretty, but y'know, well...

It's rubbish...

pwnst*r
December 29th, 2009, 02:49 PM
very breakable?

Giant Speck
December 29th, 2009, 02:56 PM
I'm scared enough of the possibility of dropping my iPhone and breaking it...

hanzomon4
December 29th, 2009, 02:57 PM
I'm scared enough of the possibility of dropping my iPhone and breaking it...

I dropped mine... it hurts, like stepping on a kitten

pwnst*r
December 29th, 2009, 03:03 PM
i'm trying to figure out how it's more "breakable" than any other tablet.

madnessjack
December 29th, 2009, 03:03 PM
very breakable?
Well the iBooks (or whatever they're called) are built like tanks from what I've seen, and I haven't seen any broken iPhone/iTouch. So looks promising :P

pwnst*r
December 29th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Well the iBooks (or whatever they're called) are built like tanks from what I've seen, and I haven't seen any broken iPhone/iTouch.

exactly my point.

FinalCoyote
December 29th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Well my iPod Touch broke - and i'm not the kind of guy who throws his stuff around, i can tell you.

Plus, i've seen plenty of my friends buy expensive Mac gear - then break it and realise that they should have taken out the extended warranty..

It's just the large amount of glass, plus the less-than-sturdy construction on all their gear (excepting laptops, Macbooks are built like bricks, i agree)

pwnst*r
December 29th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Well my iPod Touch broke - and i'm not the kind of guy who throws his stuff around, i can tell you.

Plus, i've seen plenty of my friends buy expensive Mac gear - then break it and realise that they should have taken out the extended warranty..

It's just the large amount of glass, plus the less-than-sturdy construction on all their gear (excepting laptops, Macbooks are built like bricks, i agree)

i've had my iphone 3G since launch and unless i drop it on concrete face down, it's not going to break.

i've also got a older (pre unibody) macbook and it's solid as well.

and how exactly did your itouch break? the glass?

FinalCoyote
December 29th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Yeah man, and to be perfectly honest, that's exactly what i did, drop it face down onto the kitchen floor.
What is even more gutting is the fact that i hardly ever take it out of the case..

So sure, there's nobody to blame but myself, i just won't be buying Mac stuff again..

pwnst*r
December 29th, 2009, 09:57 PM
i just won't be buying Mac stuff again..

So it has nothing to do with the Mac's build quality and more to do with your carelessness.

Quite the opposite of your original post. Just sayin'.

hanzomon4
December 29th, 2009, 10:28 PM
So it has nothing to do with the Mac's build quality and more to do with your carelessness.

Well I think the point is is that these can be broken quite easily whenever you take them out for use. That's a risk with any portable but I've seen blackberries dropped on the street without breaking. All of the glass on modern touch devices make them more vulnerable to the inevitable, you will drop these things.

pwnst*r
December 29th, 2009, 10:49 PM
again, it's not a build issue and certainly not an apple issue considering glass on all touch devices DO break under the right circumstance.

FinalCoyote
December 30th, 2009, 12:43 AM
yeah yeah, of course, but then again you could break a MacBook under the same circumstances

I'm just not going to risk it - perhaps i expected too much of it, but if i pay £200 odd quid for a portable music player +, then i expect to be able to take it outside without having to worry about dropping it.

bashveank
December 30th, 2009, 02:03 AM
yeah yeah, of course, but then again you could break a MacBook under the same circumstances

I'm just not going to risk it - perhaps i expected too much of it, but if i pay £200 odd quid for a portable music player +, then i expect to be able to take it outside without having to worry about dropping it.

So you're not going to buy any portable devices than?

pwnst*r
December 30th, 2009, 02:41 AM

maybe you should get the kind you hang around your neck. that way you'll feel better about it getting broken instead of your face if you tripped and fell while drunk and eating raisin skins.

JDShu
December 30th, 2009, 03:07 AM
What exactly would be the purpose of this device? Tablets are great for design work, but wouldn't the low specs hinder the ability to do that? Or is this just a giant ipod touch...

3rdalbum
December 30th, 2009, 03:24 AM

I've dropped phones onto tiled floors before now without even cracking the screen. Lots of times, until I bought a case. If an iPhone can't handle the same treatment, then the build quality is not up to standard.

You're the one talking about "you can't break it unless you drop it onto concrete", and now when somebody drops it onto a surface less hard than concrete it's suddenly their fault.

pwnst*r
December 30th, 2009, 03:39 AM
I've dropped phones onto tiled floors before now without even cracking the screen. Lots of times, until I bought a case. If an iPhone can't handle the same treatment, then the build quality is not up to standard.

You're the one talking about "you can't break it unless you drop it onto concrete", and now when somebody drops it onto a surface less hard than concrete it's suddenly their fault.

your previous phones didn't have a big glass face on them either. glass breaks. fact, sorry.

markp1989
December 30th, 2009, 03:46 AM

phones get droped fact, if a phone cannot not stand up to a drop from 1M (about the hight of an adults pocket) on to a hard floor, it is not good enough.

my old mototola L7 got droped from 3rd story scafollding on to concrete, and apart from scuffs, there was no damage.

when i went rock climbing last year i droped my sisters camera, it fell about 3ft, hit a rock,, then landed in a puddle, and it still works fine.

iff a portable device cannot stand up to being dropped ocaisionaly, then it shouldnt be considered portable.

Cam42
December 30th, 2009, 03:58 AM
Hehe, finally the rumours Arrington has been talking about come true.
He introduced the CrunchPad (http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/06/03/crunchpad-the-launch-prototype/) concept a year ago and will hopefully be able to ship them soon.
Apple has much more resources to pour into development, so they might bring it to market first.
On the other hand, the CrunchPad is targeted to sell at about $300 ;)

The CrunchPad died, due to some legal crap beyond my comprehension.
It's evolved into the JooJoo, a $500 web browser.

dyslexia
December 30th, 2009, 04:00 AM
ibook G4's been around the world once, lugged on buses,trains planes, dropped from a top bunk-bed, fallen off of tables, fallen of van-beds when the brakes were applied...

...It looks messed up -broken latches, warped top... but EVERYTHING on it still works perfectly.

"Tablet PC vista" isn't that great.
iPhone OS -bad news. One of the best things about Apple is OSX - super reliable, has UNIX-powers, can do everything... unbroken iPhone can't even tether, "locked in" to their "app stor"

I love the tablet concept though... currently have a touchsmart running Linux, making touch work was very difficult. Imagine how long it would take to make it run on an Apple tablet....

pwnst*r
December 30th, 2009, 04:02 AM
phones get droped fact, if a phone cannot not stand up to a drop from 1M (about the hight of an adults pocket) on to a hard floor, it is not good enough.

my old mototola L7 got droped from 3rd story scafollding on to concrete, and apart from scuffs, there was no damage.

when i went rock climbing last year i droped my sisters camera, it fell about 3ft, hit a rock,, then landed in a puddle, and it still works fine.

iff a portable device cannot stand up to being dropped ocaisionaly, then it shouldnt be considered portable.

ANY DAP, PMP, smartphone with a glass front will most likely break. don't go blaming apple just because it makes you feel good about pointing a finger.

markp1989
December 30th, 2009, 04:18 AM
ANY DAP, PMP, smartphone with a glass front will most likely break. don't go blaming apple just because it makes you feel good about pointing a finger.

i didnt mention apple one in my post. i have no problem with apple (i have an ipod)

all portable devices should be able able to sustain drops and bumbs .

i quoted your post relating to carelessness rather then "apple build quality" part.

pwnst*r
December 30th, 2009, 04:21 AM
i didnt mention apple one in my post. i have no problem with apple (i have an ipod)

all portable devices should be able able to sustain drops and bumbs .

i quoted your post relating to carelessness rather then "apple build quality" part.

most people with a device that fragile will take of it better than some **** flip phone.

Frak
December 30th, 2009, 04:41 AM
I'll be very interested in this if the rumors are true. If it runs a hybrid iPhone OS, then we'll likely get CS4 ported to Cocoa Touch. That alone would turn the iTablet into a must-buy for me.
Photoshop CS4 works fine with pressure sensative touch screens on Mac now. I had my macbook modded here (http://www.axiotron.com/index.php?id=modbook)to be a tablet.

bashveank
December 30th, 2009, 04:44 AM
What exactly would be the purpose of this device? Tablets are great for design work, but wouldn't the low specs hinder the ability to do that? Or is this just a giant ipod touch...

CS4 requires a lot less power than you might think. Even so, rumors are that the iTablet will run a hybrid of the iPhone OS and stock OS X. If that's the case, Adobe will almost certainly port CS4 to the platform. Seeing as the iTablet will be the only device on the platform, specs wouldn't be an issue.

Anyway, other purposes include as an eBook reader, or as a point of sales device at restaurants and such.

bashveank
December 30th, 2009, 04:45 AM
Photoshop CS4 works fine with pressure sensative touch screens on Mac now. I had my macbook modded here (http://www.axiotron.com/index.php?id=modbook)to be a tablet.

I realize. I was talking about the Cocoa Touch platform.

doorknob60
December 30th, 2009, 11:05 AM
So it's just a giant overpriced iTouch :lolflag:

HappinessNow
December 30th, 2009, 12:35 PM
The CrunchPad died, due to some legal crap beyond my comprehension.
It's evolved into the JooJoo, a $500 web browser.

Wow! that Crunchpad sure looked sweet...aweful name though.

Nice Mod of the Macbook.

FinalCoyote
December 30th, 2009, 03:30 PM
So you're not going to buy any portable devices than?

I'm gonna stick to using my Car Stereo when i want music on the move, and as far as other portable devices, well..

I can't break my pager, really, can I?

And my Mobile is a brick, that ain't ever breaking

(Breaks it in the next ten minutes)

HappinessNow
January 2nd, 2010, 01:32 PM
Apple to make an official announcement January 26th, it's also been rumored that it will either be powered by a stripped down version of Snow Leopard or enhanced Apple OS:

http://www.techtree.com/India/News/Apple_iSlate-iGuide_Tablet_Rumor_Turmoil/551-108435-615.html

http://www.techtree.com/India/News/iSlate_could_be_Apples_Mac_Tablet/551-108364-893.html

3rdalbum
January 2nd, 2010, 02:15 PM
your previous phones didn't have a big glass face on them either. glass breaks. fact, sorry.

According to you, the glass on your iPhone won't break unless you drop it onto concrete.

There are plenty of portable products with glass that won't easily break.

Tristam Green
January 27th, 2010, 07:11 PM
There you have it folks, they call it the iPad.

Now the question everyone wants to know:

Will it run Ubuntu Crysis ;-) ?

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/live-from-the-apple-tablet-latest-creation-event/49?sort=newest&refresh=30

SeanBlader
January 27th, 2010, 07:18 PM
How would you control a game of Crysis? Accelerometer? Really I'd be more interested in ditching the iPhone OS on it and running the Netbook Remix so I could have Flash and Hulu on the iPad. The hardware looks cool, the software, disappointing.

Skripka
January 27th, 2010, 07:23 PM
BFD.

Who cares? Tablets have been around for ages and not gone anywhere-the only reason this might is because it is shiny and made by apple.

KiwiNZ
January 27th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Keen to learn more about it. It looks like a useful iPod Touch on steroids.

Sunflower1970
January 27th, 2010, 07:25 PM
I hate that name. iPad. I'm watching the live blog now. The device looks pretty slick, though.

amazingtaters
Here's my first impression. Apple sat around, saying, "Hot damn that iPhone sure is sexy, and it's selling like hotcakes! How can we repackage it in a way that looks cool enough that everyone who bought an iPhone will buy it again?" The first answer was the iPod touch. The second was this. To everyone who buys this, enjoy your super sized iPod Touch.

Skripka

It is basically a laptop...with a monitor that cannot be closed for protection.

hanzomon4
Omggg!!! It looks great... not sure if I'm convinced that this has that extra pow to get me to buy one

.•*´
January 27th, 2010, 07:27 PM
A cross between an iPod and a netbook. the best netbbok on the market is I think is a Nokia and the iPod feels like old crap.

Ric_NYC
January 27th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Imagine: you eating a sloppy joe when you're using the iPad.

Skripka
January 27th, 2010, 07:29 PM
What if you're eating a sloppy-joe when you're using the iPad?

You see, 3rd parties are already engineering a whole INDUSTRY of protective expensive cheap crap for the "iPad", just like the iPod needs.

Ubom
January 27th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Very underwhelming. Might buy it anyway if it is priced under £300. Hopefully will have 3g connectivity too.
Also what's the situation with multitasking? Are all apps always maximised?

KiwiNZ
January 27th, 2010, 07:30 PM

umm I know the principle

I want to know the detail ;)

Skripka
January 27th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Very underwhelming. Might buy it anyway if it is priced under £300.

A touchscreen by itself costs that much. Be prepared to not have enuff money.

Skripka
January 27th, 2010, 07:33 PM
I want to know the detail ;)

Sure:

The screen and back will be too easily scratched, necessitating a whole industry of protective devices for your iScratch. The OS wil only run official apps from the iPad App Store...the said apps can only be loaded onto the device by syncing it with a OSX system....and will be available at the cost of your 1st and second cars, with a mortgage on your 1st born children. Wifi will be available only by signing a 5-year exclusive agreement with the worst telecom in the industry.

Am I too cynical? ;)

Tristam Green
January 27th, 2010, 07:33 PM
How would you control a game of Crysis? Accelerometer? Really I'd be more interested in ditching the iPhone OS on it and running the Netbook Remix so I could have Flash and Hulu on the iPad. The hardware looks cool, the software, disappointing.

The Crysis comment was a feeble joke.

I hate that name. iPad. I'm watching the live blog now. The device looks pretty slick, though.

I dislike the name too, but it's far better than "iSlate". That just translates into "is late".

I'm with Kiwi - company connotations aside, I'm interested in this little thing now. It has a compass inside, so I could easily see it being a good navigational aid. I'm very curious to see if it could run something like Illustrator or Photoshop.

KiwiNZ
January 27th, 2010, 07:34 PM
It may well be on the purchase list for a number of them

Странник
January 27th, 2010, 07:35 PM
I have a feeling that this will be more than 500EUR

Ubom
January 27th, 2010, 07:36 PM
A touchscreen by itself costs that much. Be prepared to not have enuff money.

I was willing to pay up to £1000 if a good device was announced, but looking at it, I can't justify paying more than £300 for this device when it seems like a bigger iPhone with less usefulness.

KiwiNZ
January 27th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Sure:

The screen and back will be too easily scratched, necessitating a whole industry of protective devices for your iScratch. The OS wil only run official apps from the iPad App Store...the said apps can only be loaded onto the device by syncing it with a OSX system....and will be available at the cost of your 1st and second cars, with a mortgage on your 1st born children.

Am I too cynical? ;)

Dont let exaggeration stop a good story.:rolleyes:

I carry my Notebooks and and iPhone and GPS in covers so what is the difference. Care of assets is common sense.

SeanBlader
January 27th, 2010, 07:38 PM
It's the iPad, which is just like maxipad, but without the "max" kinda a bummer.

SeanBlader
January 27th, 2010, 07:40 PM
I was willing to pay up to £1000 if a good device was announced, but looking at it, I can't justify paying more than £300 for this device when it seems like a bigger iPhone with less usefulness.

I'd be willing to pay US$1000 if it would play Flash, hence I'd love to see the Netbook Remix running on it.

Skripka
January 27th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Dont let exaggeration stop a good story.:rolleyes:

I carry my Notebooks and and iPhone and GPS in covers so what is the difference. Care of assets is common sense.

Sry, I'm just sick of hearing everywhere about a device that is anything but revolutionary--and tech news sources who talk about it as if it were neuewundertech.

The only thing that gets more on my nerves is talk about cloud computing.

Care of assets is one thing...but you (Apple) design a slick new device-and then to protect it you need a device that doubles the original gadgets' bulk. Taking an elegant looking device and making it look cumbersome...when you could have just designed it better in the 1st place.

.•*´
January 27th, 2010, 07:41 PM

You can have a macbook 13" for £800

Interesting to see the specs on this iPad.

SeanBlader
January 27th, 2010, 07:43 PM
I had an HP tx2000 tablet, realistically it was a laptop with a swivel screen and I only occasionally used the touch screen. On the other hand, if it lacked a keyboard and was a third the thickness and weight, it would make a nice piece of equipment.

So the hardware looks great, the software looks unfortunate.

Sunflower1970
January 27th, 2010, 07:43 PM
It's the iPad, which is just like maxipad, but without the "max" kinda a bummer.

Yep. That's what the name reminds me of feminine hygiene products...

hanzomon4
January 27th, 2010, 07:45 PM
No 3G... bummer

Take that back... it does 3g, sold unlocked

SeanBlader
January 27th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Looks like it lacks multitasking too, that will be a huge disappointment.

KiwiNZ
January 27th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Sry, I'm just sick of hearing everywhere about a device that is anything but revolutionary--and tech news sources who talk about it as if it were neuewundertech.

The only thing that gets more on my nerves is talk about cloud computing.

Care of assets is one thing...but you (Apple) design a slick new device-and then to protect it you need a device that doubles the original gadgets' bulk. Taking an elegant looking device and making it look cumbersome...when you could have just designed it better in the 1st place.

Agreed , not revolutionary but evolutionary. I think Apple have done what Tablets should have been , not just Laptops with swiveling Monitors with the same everything else.

As for Cloud , Its just Thin Client version 23 nothing new sort of with extra bits . But hey it has to be promoted to be up taken.

Ric_NYC
January 27th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Looks like it lacks multitasking too, that will be a huge disappointment.

No multitasking... in 2010... WOW!

Is it true?

NoaHall
January 27th, 2010, 07:48 PM
1GHz processor, I wouldn't try anything to testing on it, but hey, it looks good.

SeanBlader
January 27th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Think of it as an enormous phone.

Apple made too many software compromises, granted they took their strongest platform, the iPhone and wanted to expand it, but given they started with a crappy foundation, they are stuck into a limited capability set.

KiwiNZ
January 27th, 2010, 07:53 PM
1GHz processor, I wouldn't try anything to testing on it, but hey, it looks good.

It is how it runs its own OS that matters

.•*´
January 27th, 2010, 07:59 PM
Looks perfect for iBooks, just the right size.

Sunflower1970
January 27th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Books, magazines, newspapers. I think this tablet will be perfect for those types of things. The book app looks fabulous, actually.

This may help revitalize the magazine & newspaper industries.

eddietours
January 27th, 2010, 08:05 PM
No flash/multi-tasking/non-approved apple apps?

SeanBlader
How about replacing pen and paper?

docus
Perhaps I'm lacking imagination today, but I can't get excited about this at all.

amazingtaters
January 27th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Books, magazines, newspapers. I think this tablet will be perfect for those types of things. The book app looks fabulous, actually.

This may help revitalize the magazine & newspaper industries.

I'd rather have a Kindle though for books, magazines, or newspapers. If my main task with this device is going to be reading traditionally print media, I won't want to drop the money on this, which I am sure will be more expensive than a Kindle.

whiskeylover
January 27th, 2010, 08:08 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/01/27/apple.tablet/index.html?hpt=T1

Let the simultaneous orgasms begin.

kernelhaxor
January 27th, 2010, 08:09 PM
how many more threads do we need on this?

whiskeylover
January 27th, 2010, 08:11 PM
how many more threads do we need on this?

ticklemehomeboi
January 27th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Original name.

Ric_NYC
January 27th, 2010, 08:13 PM
]I'd rather have a Kindle though for books, magazines, or newspapers.[/B] If my main task with this device is going to be reading traditionally print media, I won't want to drop the money on this, which I am sure will be more expensive than a Kindle.

I don't think the iPad is a priority for anyone.. But I disagree. Kindle screen only shows black and white.

eddietours
January 27th, 2010, 08:16 PM
$999 is just crazy

Sunflower1970
January 27th, 2010, 08:17 PM
I'd rather have a Kindle though for books, magazines, or newspapers. If my main task with this device is going to be reading traditionally print media, I won't want to drop the money on this, which I am sure will be more expensive than a Kindle.

I wouldn't buy this myself. Especially since it's a 1st generation.

There will be other companies which will be making similar devices in the future with better specs and be cheaper. I'd feel comfortable dropping $500 on something similar, but I can wait for something down the road

---
Looks like there will be 3G with AT&T. No contract. Prepaid $30/mo unlimited.

ETA:

lol! So there's a dock and a keyboard you can add on to this....Why not just get a laptop then?

KeLa
January 27th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Prober name for that is iTinyFatThing
It's too fat and too small display.

tadcan
January 27th, 2010, 08:28 PM
It starts at $499 and goes up to $829, from 16 to 64GB of space, with and without 3G.

Tristam Green
January 27th, 2010, 08:34 PM
lol! So there's a dock and a keyboard you can add on to this....Why not just get a laptop then?

The question is not why wouldn't you just get a laptop, it's why haven't laptops been made like this from the get-go?

hanzomon4
January 27th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Verdict: Cool but over hyped?

darthmob
The thread tags put a big smile on my face! :D

amazingtaters
verdict: Cool but over hyped?

+1

ticklemehomeboi
January 27th, 2010, 08:36 PM

It's just another piece of overpriced rotten fruit.

Sunflower1970
January 27th, 2010, 08:36 PM
The question is not why wouldn't you just get a laptop, it's why haven't laptops been made like this from the get-go?

Haven't other companies tried a tablet/laptop type computer, where the monitor can flip around and one can use it as a tablet, while still having a keyboard attached?

I guess we just needed Apple to show us the light (lol)

isaacj87
January 27th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Looks cool.

Once these things start showing up in the Apple refurbished store, I'll definitely pick one up for kicks.

EDIT: I just have one question. What are you supposed to do with these things? You couldn't actually get any work done...

whiskeylover
January 27th, 2010, 08:46 PM
The thread tags put a big smile on my face! :D

You're welcome

Tristam Green
January 27th, 2010, 08:48 PM

I don't think so - I think they delivered and then some, especially with the addition of a compass, iBook Store, and the keyboard dock.

Haven't other companies tried a tablet/laptop type computer, where the monitor can flip around and one can use it as a tablet, while still having a keyboard attached?

I guess we just needed Apple to show us the light (lol)

Tried, and failed. The problem with those "tablet" computers is that they weren't tablets at all - they were laptops with touchscreens and a flimsy hinge. I hated those tablets with a purple passion because they were useless to hold and write on.

KiwiNZ
January 27th, 2010, 08:49 PM
http://www.apple.com/ipad/#video

BrokenKingpin
January 27th, 2010, 08:50 PM
The IPad looks horrible... why not just get a netbook for less than half the price.

KiwiNZ
January 27th, 2010, 08:52 PM
The IPad looks horrible... why not just get a netbook for less than half the price.

Its not a Netbook , its not a Notebook .

ticklemehomeboi
January 27th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Its not a Netbook , its not a Notebook .

It's not a Netbook, it's not a Notebook.

Fixed :)

blur xc
January 27th, 2010, 08:55 PM
I don't think the iPad is a priority for anyone.. But I disagree. Kindle screen only shows black and white.

But normal e-readers are still viewable in direct sunlight- just like paper.

my only gripe w/ e-readers is the horrible lag in turning pages. If you could mix apples touch screen snappiness in a normal e-reader, than I'd be happy.

BM

KiwiNZ
January 27th, 2010, 08:57 PM
It's not a Netbook, it's not a Notebook.

Fixed :)

When you type one handed due to disability conservation of energy is paramount and this is not an English class.

ticklemehomeboi
January 27th, 2010, 08:58 PM
When you type one handed due to disability conservation of energy is paramount and this is not an English class.

No excuse for sloppiness.

KiwiNZ
January 27th, 2010, 09:00 PM
No excuse for sloppiness.

No excuse for rudeness:mad:

coolbrook
January 27th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Does it boomerang?

If you stand on it, will it show your weight?

ticklemehomeboi
January 27th, 2010, 09:02 PM
No excuse for rudeness:mad:

Rich.

Tristam Green
January 27th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Wow, leave the nasty attitude out of my thread, thank you.

Tristam Green
January 27th, 2010, 09:12 PM
There's no multitasking at all. It's a real disappointment. All this power and very little you can do with it at once. No multitasking means no streaming Pandora when you're working in Pages... you can figure it out. It's a real setback for this device.

What the hell. I'm not enamored with this anymore.

joebanjo
January 27th, 2010, 09:13 PM
The thing I hate the most, is that almost everyone i've talked to has called it revolutionary. tablet PCs have been around since forever and multitouch tablet pcs are out there too, there is a thinkpad and an HP. It doesn't really suit any need. its to big to have the same portability benifit of a ipod but not as good as a laptop. what we need is good multitouch OS that has actual computer function. No one needs a giant iphone.

EDIT:
I just heard someone say, "its like an iphone and a computer combined"
it is.
its like the worst of both

The Toxic Mite
January 27th, 2010, 09:13 PM

This.

hanzomon4
January 27th, 2010, 09:16 PM
I don't think so - I think they delivered and then some, especially with the addition of a compass, iBook Store, and the keyboard dock.

No they delivered a solid product, but people were throwing around some wild ideas that I think diluted the wow here. Such as built in webcam for video calls, Verizon service, GSM+CDMA compatibility, 4G.. I like it, if they come out with one that can do video calls+4G I'll be hooked.

That said I wish some other company had created this device... google are you listening.

Marlonsm
January 27th, 2010, 09:22 PM
I'm still not convinced by all these tablets. An oversized iPod touch won't make me change my mind.

I'm still more intrested in the HP Slate, that runs a full-featured OS, with multi-touch and gesture support and has the possibility to install other OSs.

Jesus_Valdez
January 27th, 2010, 09:22 PM
At first sound ok for 400 dollars, but the fine print says that it's just "another piece of overpriced rotten fruit".

The sad part is that Apple is going to sell millions of iPads and the rest of the world is going to start making this subpar products.

pwnst*r
January 27th, 2010, 09:23 PM
Here's my first impression. Apple sat around, saying, "Hot damn that iPhone sure is sexy, and it's selling like hotcakes! How can we repackage it in a way that looks cool enough that everyone who bought an iPhone will buy it again?" The first answer was the iPod touch. The second was this. To everyone who buys this, enjoy your super sized iPod Touch.

Having a good cry?

Yes I'm sure there are idiots that do that.

And Skripka, lol, that's some serious crying/trolling you're doing.

Sunflower1970
January 27th, 2010, 09:26 PM
The iPad looks like it'd be awesome for little kids with learning apps and fun games for them..

I can also see how it'd be very useful for textbooks. Man. I wish I had had something like this when I was in college instead of lugging 500lbs of books with me. (The Kindle & Nook are nice, but I much prefer to have color instead of just B&W)

I'd get something similar--just not from Apple--and not for a few years (I'm set with my desktops, laptop & Nexus One). I do hope some other companies are taking notes and in a few years will have a good product to compete with this (and have a catchier name...)

ETA:

I was sent this video from MadTV about the iPad from a few years ago.Thought I'd share :D:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1BUH9eXy18

Marlonsm
January 27th, 2010, 09:26 PM
I'm surprised nobody mentioned this video yet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BnLbv6QYcA

joebanjo
January 27th, 2010, 09:34 PM
I can also see how it'd be very useful for textbooks.

This (http://gizmodo.com/5365299/courier-first-details-of-microsofts-secret-tablet) is a little more textbooky, it looks good, but i wish i knew the price. I still don't think i need one though

Sunflower1970
January 27th, 2010, 09:37 PM
This (http://gizmodo.com/5365299/courier-first-details-of-microsofts-secret-tablet) is a little more textbooky, it looks good, but i wish i knew the price. I still don't think i need one though

Ooo! I had not seen that before. I like.

amazingtaters
January 27th, 2010, 09:39 PM
The iPad looks like it'd be awesome for little kids with learning apps and fun games for them..

I can also see how it'd be very useful for textbooks. Man. I wish I had had something like this when I was in college instead of lugging 500lbs of books with me. (The Kindle & Nook are nice, but I much prefer to have color instead of just B&W)

I'd get something similar--just not from Apple--and not for a few years (I'm set with my desktops, laptop & Nexus One). I do hope some other companies are taking notes and in a few years will have a good product to compete with this (and have a catchier name...)

ETA:

I was sent this video from MadTV about the iPad from a few years ago.Thought I'd share :D:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1BUH9eXy18

The textbook thing would be great, except that it's not entirely realistic at this point. My first hand experience is that at my school we are actively discouraged from buying our books anywhere but from the campus bookstore run by Follet. While I know there's a school in Missouri (NW MO State I think) that has started offering ebook versions of just about all textbooks, there's going to be some backlash from universities that make a killing on books against students adopting this type of technology.

aysiu
January 27th, 2010, 09:43 PM
There was so much hype in the months leading up to the announcement that there was no way the iPad (ugh, hate the name) could have lived up to it.

But this is honestly the only Apple product in a long time that I've been tempted to buy.

My main issue is this: is it a standalone device? In other words, one of things that really turned me off from getting an iPod Touch or iPhone is its dependence on having another computer with iTunes on it. But if the iTunes App Store and iBooks store are integrated into the device itself (and I don't have to "sync" it with a real computer), then maybe I will get this. (No iTunes for Linux.)

For the iPod Touch and iPhone, I found the whole multi-touch thing overrated. For a screen of this size, though, to navigate and manipulate things, finger swiping and multi-touch may actually come in handy.

I had high hopes for the Nook, but every review of it (including videos) revealed it to be sluggish and unresponsive.

Even in debates about Android v. iPhone, I hear multi-tasking brought up a lot. I like multi-tasking, but responsiveness is more important.

We'll see. I rarely get first-generation products...

pwnst*r
January 27th, 2010, 09:51 PM
I'm surprised nobody mentioned this video yet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BnLbv6QYcA

That's because it's stupid.

pwnst*r
January 27th, 2010, 09:52 PM
stuff

It is not a standalone device from what I've read on the 'net. You will still need iTunes.

graabein
January 27th, 2010, 09:56 PM
The iPad. Sounds like some teenage wuss tactics to pad stats in online games. I can tell you right now. I'm not getting one! Apple THIS!

arnab_das
January 27th, 2010, 10:05 PM
first up, no multitasking, biggest dampener! next, 64GB isnt enough! and this is supposed to be a netbook replacement? :P

okay, but looks seriously awesome. but not much material packed into it i'm afraid. but this is for sure, the amazon kindle is dead now.

aysiu
January 27th, 2010, 10:16 PM
It is not a standalone device from what I've read on the 'net. You will still need iTunes.
I can cross it off my list of potential future purchases, then. Thanks.

Tristam Green
January 27th, 2010, 10:21 PM
first up, no multitasking, biggest dampener! next, 64GB isnt enough! and this is supposed to be a netbook replacement? :P

Considering the first netbooks came with a paltry 60GB HDD, or an 8GB SSD, yeah...

but no multitasking makes me a sad panda.

Ric_NYC
January 27th, 2010, 10:22 PM

okay, but looks seriously awesome. but not much material packed into it i'm afraid. but this is for sure, the amazon kindle is dead now.

If I'm playing a song I cannot do anything else?

JEDIDIAH
January 27th, 2010, 10:24 PM
I'd be willing to pay US$1000 if it would play Flash, hence I'd love to see the Netbook Remix running on it.

HP has a laptop that has a multitouch monitor that can swivel around and be laid back on the keyboard. This seems like a more promising option since the iPad doesn't look like it will have a general purpose web browser on it.

arnab_das
January 27th, 2010, 10:30 PM

nopes. u would have to stop that song before do something else.

Ric_NYC
January 27th, 2010, 10:38 PM

Ouch... That's terrible.

Xbehave
January 27th, 2010, 10:38 PM
I guess it will be like the iphone, 1st party apps can interact with eachother nicely, so you can listen to music as long as you only use apple apps.

Still i doubt i'll shell out for a crippled laptop with the keyboard removed.

pwnst*r
January 27th, 2010, 10:42 PM

WRONG.

I'm playing a song and using an app at the same time. Quit spreading rubbish if you have no idea what you're talking about.

pwnst*r
January 27th, 2010, 10:44 PM
I guess it will be like the iphone, 1st party apps can interact with eachother nicely, so you can listen to music as long as you only use apple apps.

Again, WRONG.

You fanboys sure like to stretch truths don't you?

KiwiNZ
January 27th, 2010, 10:52 PM
Remember how we hated the FUD spread about Linux ?

Lets take the higher ground and not spread it about Apple products;)

KiwiNZ
January 27th, 2010, 10:53 PM

Still i doubt i'll shell out for a crippled laptop with the keyboard removed.

It's not a Laptop and it's not marketed as such.

Ric_NYC
January 27th, 2010, 10:56 PM
Ok... "No multitasking". What does it mean?

Skripka
January 27th, 2010, 10:58 PM

So what exactly is it, and what is the functional niche that it fills?

Currently it looks like an oversized iPod Touch, that AT&T may make some money off of.

The lack of Flash, and the relatively crippled state HTML5 video is in-really lead to the question, "Is not an internet tablet better off being a full fledged laptop?". Like it or not, Flash and Silverlight etc will be with us for a while yet...and with the saturation of flash fideos and flash content on the web, having a flash-crippled device is a big mistake-expescially for an internet device.

KiwiNZ
January 27th, 2010, 11:00 PM
So what exactly is it, and what is the functional niche that it fills?

Currently it looks like an oversized iPod Touch, that AT&T may make some money off of.

The lack of Flash, and the relatively crippled state HTML5 video is is-really lead to the question, "Is not an internet tablet better off being a full fledged laptop?". Like it or not, Flash and Silverlight etc will be with us for a while yet...and with the saturation of flash fideos and flash content on the web, having a flash-crippled device is a big mistake-expescially for an internet device.

Watch this video through

It is almost a new device

Skripka
January 27th, 2010, 11:03 PM
Watch this video through

Too bad I is in Windows right now-and Apple is wanting me to install their QuickTime Crapware to watch that vid--do you have a YouTube vid handy?

Ric_NYC
Watch this video through

"Download Quicktime to view this video".

SeanBlader
HP has a laptop that has a multitouch monitor that can swivel around and be laid back on the keyboard. This seems like a more promising option since the iPad doesn't look like it will have a general purpose web browser on it.

Except I had an HP laptop, and it's a pain to carry around the extra half inch that the swivel monitor costs you in weight and size, and then you end up using it mainly as a normal laptop anyway. The only thing I wouldn't want to do on the (max)ipad is try to have an IM conversation over it, typing would be slower.

And after the quality control issues and poor hardware, I probably won't get a new HP. It couldn't play h.264 compressed video without skipping, one of the cells in the battery died and it would only ever charge to 78%, and then the entire wireless subsystem went out, so no bluetooth or wi-fi, and not just like internally either, it wouldn't accept or operate an external USB wifi either.

So if there was a tablet that was a quarter the thickness and weight of the HP TX2000 series and offered better battery life, and could replace paper and the ebook reader at the same time, then it might have some value. Unfortunately, running mobile Safari and the non-multitasking iPhone OS doesn't quite get it done on the iPad.

Hence why I'd like to see the Netbook Remix on it. Get a real OS on there with multitouch and an on-screen keyboard and you're looking at a real useful tool.

In the end the iPad is going to be niche, it's too limited for doctors or other data intensive jobs. What those positions need is a tool, not a toy. But again, a real OS on it would be outstanding, even if under full use it only lasts 8 hours instead of 12, there is power often enough that you could recharge it over lunch.

phrostbyte
January 27th, 2010, 11:04 PM
The Internet seems to completely rallying against this product. It almost reminds me when the iPod was first released. :)

I think the most interesting thing is the "Apple A4" CPU that it comes with. Apple is now in the CPU business it seems, I wouldn't be surprised if the newer iPhones will start using these CPUs.

zekopeko
January 27th, 2010, 11:06 PM
I can cross it off my list of potential future purchases, then. Thanks.

I don't think this is correct. AFAIK every store is integrated in the device. You would need iTunes to reset it or some other such thing.

Skripka
January 27th, 2010, 11:07 PM
The Internet seems to completely rallying against this product. It almost reminds me when the iPod was first released. :)

I think the most interesting thing is the "Apple A4" CPU that it comes with. Apple is now in the CPU business it seems, I wouldn't be surprised if the newer iPhones will start using these CPUs.

The one thing I will say-unlike all other tablets out there, this device has the backing of both a hardware and software player. In the long run, Apple may come up with an ecosystem of apps/interfaces that make the hardware worthwhile.

In the meantime, no USB ports or SD card slots are big Fails with a capital F.

Regenweald
January 27th, 2010, 11:09 PM
The internet always rallies against apple products. It is still rallying against the iphone. Nearly 4 billion in recorded profits says all the rallying means absolutely nothing.

KiwiNZ
January 27th, 2010, 11:12 PM

They rally against them on the internet , then go out and buy them by the millions . I have a theory why .

arnab_das
January 27th, 2010, 11:14 PM
WRONG.

I'm playing a song and using an app at the same time. Quit spreading rubbish if you have no idea what you're talking about.

okey dokey. mustve been wrong there. read reviews today which said that there's no multitasking.

http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2010/01/27/ipad-multitasking-notifications-tv-subscriptions-camera-tethering-textbooks/

yester64
January 27th, 2010, 11:14 PM
Not sure why everyone (ok not everyone) is bashing apple. Ah, its the cafe.

From what i have seen it looks nice and useful too.
The price is not that high for what you get.
Think about it. Lot of space to store with a tightly integration of an store (iBook).
It does have potential.
Also not to forget that it will make the life harder for the competition which is Amazon and everyone else.
My prediction is, that Apple will own the market once more.

It does come close to the StarTrek Handheld Computers you saw in the TV shows.

Now of course it is a closed system and its Apple. But even as a Linux user i have to admit that Apple does provide innovation. I hear some people saying software sucks. Not sure where the facts are.

It is not a device for me, since it is out of my finacial means, but down the road it might be getting cheaper anyway.
Plus i heart it offers a flatrate or prepaid subscription.

I think we have to see how it plays out in the longrun, but i think it is an interesting piece of electronics where other competitors will have a hard time. This is not just a single purpose machine, its multipurpose. And considering how profitable the appstore is for iPhone you can only imagine how the next one will be.
So far i am neutral on the issue. We have to see.

phrostbyte
January 27th, 2010, 11:15 PM
They rally against them on the internet , then go out and buy them by the millions . I have a theory why .

Better to be hated then ignored. :)

arnab_das
January 27th, 2010, 11:16 PM
The internet always rallies against apple products. It is still rallying against the iphone. Nearly 4 billion in recorded profits says all the rallying means absolutely nothing.

well buying apple products always is and will always be a matter of keeping up with the jones. nothing more, nothing less.

yester64
January 27th, 2010, 11:16 PM
The one thing I will say-unlike all other tablets out there, this device has the backing of both a hardware and software player. In the long run, Apple may come up with an ecosystem of apps/interfaces that make the hardware worthwhile.

In the meantime, no USB ports or SD card slots are big Fails with a capital F.

I don't think that this will change.
I think this is the same reason why you can't use external mediums like SD on phones for storing apps etc.
Still waiting to see a iPhone with a SD slot. :(

SuperSonic4
January 27th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Sure:

The screen and back will be too easily scratched, necessitating a whole industry of protective devices for your iScratch. The OS wil only run official apps from the iPad App Store...the said apps can only be loaded onto the device by syncing it with a OSX system....and will be available at the cost of your 1st and second cars, with a mortgage on your 1st born children. Wifi will be available only by signing a 5-year exclusive agreement with the worst telecom in the industry.

Am I too cynical? ;)

Certainly not! It's easily plausible except obviously the kid bit.

I agree, I hope it flops but as always the idiots with more money than sense will ensure it does not

aysiu
January 27th, 2010, 11:20 PM
I don't think this is correct. AFAIK every store is integrated in the device. You would need iTunes to reset it or some other such thing.
Well, there's only basic information about it out there right now.

I'll wait a few months to see what the real deal is.

If it is a self-contained device, I might get it. We'll see. I'd also like to try it out in the Apple Store myself to see how it really feels.

Too bad we don't have a Ubuntu Store with guaranteed-to-work-with-Ubuntu hardware and Ubuntu preinstalled and sanely configured...

yester64
January 27th, 2010, 11:21 PM
The iPad. Sounds like some teenage wuss tactics to pad stats in online games. I can tell you right now. I'm not getting one! Apple THIS!

Lol... perhaps it sounds strange now, but so it was with the 'Wii' or any other newish name.
iToaster or iToy.

phrostbyte
January 27th, 2010, 11:22 PM
Well, there's only basic information about it out there right now.

I'll wait a few months to see what the real deal is.

If it is a self-contained device, I might get it. We'll see. I'd also like to try it out in the Apple Store myself to see how it really feels.

Too bad we don't have a Ubuntu Store with guaranteed-to-work-with-Ubuntu hardware and Ubuntu preinstalled and sanely configured...

You can sync pictures to the iPhone from Ubuntu using libiphone, it mounts like a ordinary device. It's a no go for movies or music though (unless you jailbreak). Apple uses some kind of super difficult to break DRM type system to tie music and movie syncing to iTunes. I don't think this device will be any different unfortunately.

TheLastDodo
January 27th, 2010, 11:22 PM

With a higher price tag, much less storage, a weak processor and a goofy UI (the sort of touch UI that works well on a small screen like the iPhone's doesn't quite make efficient use of space when scaled up).

Skripka
January 27th, 2010, 11:23 PM
Lol... perhaps it sounds strange now, but so it was with the 'Wii' or any other newish name.
iToaster or iToy.

Meh. None of those have a name that sounds like a feminine hygiene product.

arnab_das
January 27th, 2010, 11:27 PM
the iphone users can verify this.

http://www.techcrunch.com/2010/01/19/background-apps-iphone-tablet/

says "Music players (other than the built-in iPod app) close down as soon as you try to do anything else on the phone."

now thats for the iphone. now since none of us here have tried the ipad yet, and since the official reviews have already spoken about the lack of multitasking, i dont think one can listen to music and do other tasks, other than the default ipod app of course. thats an example of lack of multitasking.

Frak
January 27th, 2010, 11:28 PM
This really does look useful. I've been looking for a way to read my PDF's when I'm away from a computer, and this looks like a way to do it. It's small, portable, and in my case, reasonably priced.

amazingtaters
January 27th, 2010, 11:28 PM
This is not just a single purpose machine, its multipurpose.

I'd like to see a multipurpose device that can multitask. For instance, I'd like to be able to have JSTOR up in my web browser with an article that I'm referencing, and a word processor open so that I can work on the paper that is doing the referencing.

Personally, I'll take my laptop, because I'm not so weak that it is cumbersomely heavy, I'd much rather have my 17 inches of screen real estate, and I'm just not a huge fan of on screen keyboards. After all, you can't rest your fingers on the keys as you type, so I end up pecking at it like a bird.

phrostbyte
January 27th, 2010, 11:29 PM
the iphone users can verify this.

http://www.techcrunch.com/2010/01/19/background-apps-iphone-tablet/

says "Music players (other than the built-in iPod app) close down as soon as you try to do anything else on the phone."

now thats for the iphone. now since none of us here have tried the ipad yet, and since the official reviews have already spoken about the lack of multitasking, i dont think one can listen to music and do other tasks, other than the default ipod app of course.

The music still plays if you close the built in music app. The iPhone OS can multitask (it's using the Darwin kernel), but only Apple-made software is actually "blessed" with this ability. So 3rd party music apps will not play in the background, nor will any app possess the ability to do things in the background.

SmittyJensen
January 27th, 2010, 11:29 PM
i don't really like the appearance of it.

still, $500 isn't bad. but i can think of plenty better things to spend $500 on.

aysiu
January 27th, 2010, 11:30 PM
You can sync pictures to the iPhone from Ubuntu using libiphone, it mounts like a ordinary device. It's a no go for movies or music though (unless you jailbreak). Apple uses some kind of super difficult to break DRM type system to tie music and movie syncing to iTunes. I don't think this device will be any different unfortunately. Yeah, that sounds like too much trouble. Instead of using weird workarounds, I'd rather just get a device that just works with Ubuntu... or that doesn't rely on a secondary computer.

Frak
January 27th, 2010, 11:35 PM
It has Safari.

SmittyJensen
January 27th, 2010, 11:36 PM
It has Safari.
can you tell me where you heard/saw/whatever that from?

KiwiNZ
January 27th, 2010, 11:37 PM
From what I have seen it will meet a number of needs I have. Other tablets have been horrible especially the HP TX series.

This one has some nice features, fits with my other Macs , light and yes cool.

I do believe it is added to my shopping list .

It will be cool if a dash mount for my SUV is available at some time.

KiwiNZ
January 27th, 2010, 11:39 PM

Check the Apple web site . ;)

NoaHall

Trust me. It's Apple made, connects to the internet, it'll have Safari

arnab_das
btw The Guardian UK has come up with the official review:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2010/jan/27/apple-ipad-tablet-first-review

KiwiNZ
January 27th, 2010, 11:41 PM

Look at the bottom left hand corner of the image ...Safari Icon

Skripka
January 27th, 2010, 11:42 PM

Kiwi, could you go on YouTube and find a Flash vid of the official Apple video? It won't play on Chrome/Opera/Internet Explorer on either Linux or Windows. I don't want to install CrapTime on my Win machine either for it.

KiwiNZ
January 27th, 2010, 11:45 PM
No

As I have never heard of Craptime;)

SmittyJensen
January 27th, 2010, 11:52 PM
No

As I have never heard of Craptime;)
i think he means quicktime.

Skripka
January 27th, 2010, 11:53 PM
i think he means quicktime.

It earned the name the 1st time I installed it on a windows machine...and automagically stole opening default app status to EVERY file format in existence-when all I wanted/needed was to play a friggin mov file.

SeanBlader
January 28th, 2010, 12:02 AM
It's an important distinction to note that the iPad does NOT have Safari, it has Mobile Safari. The difference is one has a Flash plugin, while the other does not.

Xbehave
January 28th, 2010, 12:05 AM
Yeah I know a Laptop at that price point would cost a lot less for a 64GB SSD and such a small screen.

SeanHodges
January 28th, 2010, 12:08 AM
*snip*

Probably worth waiting for the next version, it'll be sleeker, with a bit of string attached so you won't lose it.

madhi19
January 28th, 2010, 12:09 AM
Apple really mess up on the name i*snip* is now a trending topic on twitter!

Skripka
January 28th, 2010, 12:09 AM
*snip*

Probably worth waiting for the next version, it'll be sleeker, with a bit of string attached so you won't lose it.

You're a bit late for the fem hygiene product jokes.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/01/photo-gallery-hands-on-with-the-ipad-and-live-event.ars/2

;)

Icehuck
January 28th, 2010, 12:11 AM
I heard safari is snappier now.

SeanHodges
January 28th, 2010, 12:12 AM
You're a bit late for the fem hygiene product jokes.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/01/photo-gallery-hands-on-with-the-ipad-and-live-event.ars/2

;)

Ha ha, I never said it was my joke ;) #iTampon is the number 2 trending topic on Twitter right now...

madhi19
January 28th, 2010, 12:22 AM
I got to say considering how much Apple users take their crap seriously and act all superior this is probably the funniest screw up since the puck mouse!

amazingtaters
January 28th, 2010, 12:22 AM
So this interested me. While I'm not a yahoo fan, I don't have much choice on this computer (shared one at work) and the first story on the yahoo front page is headlined "Apple's iPad event: What we didn't get" with one or two other articles about its deficits.

KiwiNZ
January 28th, 2010, 12:25 AM
I got to say considering how much Apple users take their crap seriously and act all superior this is probably the funniest screw up since the puck mouse!

How is it a screw up ?

madhi19
January 28th, 2010, 12:31 AM
How is it a screw up ?

Dude ask your wife hell MadTv made jokes about it years ago!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFNQE_TzQNI

SeanHodges
January 28th, 2010, 12:34 AM

Have you seen the iPad announcement video?

I'm by no means an Apple hardware fan (Android FTW ;)), but this is undoubtedly a neat bit of kit. I suspect it will sell very well, though not nearly as well as the iPod or iPhone due to the smaller target audience.

KiwiNZ
January 28th, 2010, 12:36 AM
Dude ask your wife hell MadTv made jokes about it years ago!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFNQE_TzQNI

So you have nothing . You haven't touched it , haven't spent a few days testing it, trying the Apps etc , you saw on the web that its a screw up so it of course must be.

Hmmmm thought so :rolleyes:

This is how Apple products get rubbished on Forums and sell millions .

madhi19
January 28th, 2010, 12:48 AM
So you have nothing . You haven't touched it , haven't spent a few days testing it, trying the Apps etc , you saw on the web that its a screw up so it of course must be.

Hmmmm thought so :rolleyes:

This is how Apple products get rubbished on Forums and sell millions .

This is all about marketing the name is a big mistake just visit twitter if you don't believe me.

sudoer541
January 28th, 2010, 12:53 AM
I might buy one when the 4th generation arrives!!!
They always make a better product after the 1st and 2nd gen.
I might even look at some other alternatives, since everyone likes to copy apple and at the end they make a better product than apple.
my other alternative is to get a laptop from the salvation army, goodwill or even value village lol. I might find a tablet pc if I am lucky lol+++.

Frak
January 28th, 2010, 12:53 AM
Kiwi, could you go on YouTube and find a Flash vid of the official Apple video? It won't play on Chrome/Opera/Internet Explorer on either Linux or Windows. I don't want to install CrapTime on my Win machine either for it.
Yes, it will play video from YouTube via HTML5.

Xbehave
January 28th, 2010, 12:55 AM
Have you seen the iPad announcement video?

I'm by no means an Apple hardware fan (Android FTW ;)), but this is undoubtedly a neat bit of kit. I suspect it will sell very well, though not nearly as well as the iPod or iPhone due to the smaller target audience.
How is it a neat bit of kit? It has a singletasking OS (windows 3.1 called), is too big to fit into a pocket, will probably be locked down like an iPhone, like i said it's an ultra-thin tablet PC without the keyboard, ability to run flash, processing power or freedom to run what you want, yet costs the same.

Xbehave
January 28th, 2010, 12:57 AM
Yes, it will play video from YouTube via HTML5.
Cool, and the rest of the web? Flash games? stupid websites that use flash? few websites that use flash well? etc

PhoenixMaster00
January 28th, 2010, 01:16 AM
I was very disapointed. I see the appeal and i really like the idea of a tablet pc but this is no good software wise. No multi-tasking which is essential for anything claiming to compete with netbooks. Plus it will just be as closed down as the iphone/itouch.

I am actually looking forward more to the HP Slate to be honest (though i dont no the specs comparison).

sudoer541
January 28th, 2010, 01:27 AM
I was very disapointed. I see the appeal and i really like the idea of a tablet pc but this is no good software wise. No multi-tasking which is essential for anything claiming to compete with netbooks. Plus it will just be as closed down as the iphone/itouch.

I am actually looking forward more to the HP Slate to be honest (though i dont no the specs comparison).

moi too!

Frak
January 28th, 2010, 01:28 AM
Cool, and the rest of the web? Flash games? stupid websites that use flash? few websites that use flash well? etc
Since it isn't MARKETED as a personal computer, it doesn't matter. It's marketed as a tablet to do simple work on, much like a pen and tablet. It has some media capabilities, but isn't marketed as a theater center. It's marketed toward those of us that like to read and watch things on the go, take notes when necessary, and play a little game here and there. It was NOT MARKETED AS A LAPTOP OR PERSONAL COMPUTER REPLACEMENT.

The amount of trolling on this board is incredible. Not targeted at you, just those that like to bash Apple without any substantial evidence. They bash them just to bash another evil corporation.

Tristam Green
January 28th, 2010, 01:30 AM
WRONG.

pwn, I read on Engadget's hands-on that you cannot run Pandora and browse at the same time. If that's not the case, let me know - it takes a big black spot away from the device.

Me too, I think it starts with the letters "hypo" and ends with "crite".

It earned the name the 1st time I installed it on a windows machine...and automagically stole opening default app status to EVERY file format in existence-when all I wanted/needed was to play a friggin mov file.

You act like there's not an option when installing QuickTime to decide file associations. Lord, what kind of program would have this?

SonicSteve
January 28th, 2010, 01:34 AM
This is Apple coming late to the Netbook party.

It's overpriced,
Underpowered,
sleek and stylish touchscreen netbook with pitiful specs and storage. Apple fans will love it.

Give me a break $500US for a 16gb netbook? I'm sure it will sell well but you'll never see one in my house. It's this kind of overhyped marketing crap that I rebel against most.

Icehuck
January 28th, 2010, 01:36 AM

It's overpriced,
Underpowered,
sleek and stylish touchscreen netbook with pitiful specs and storage. Apple fans will love it.

Give me a break $500US for a 16gb netbook? I'm sure it will sell well but you'll never see one in my house. It's this kind of overhyped marketing crap that I rebel against most.

Except it's not a netbook and the macbook air would be the competitor for netbooks.

This is a tablet and is aimed at the tablet market.

Frak
January 28th, 2010, 01:39 AM

It's overpriced,
Underpowered,

*ehem*

It's not a netbook.

Kdar
January 28th, 2010, 01:42 AM

at least it doesn't have keyboard.

Frak
January 28th, 2010, 01:44 AM
Sounds... pretty good. If you dribble, all you need is a damp cloth and a couple wipes to clean the entire device.

Mr. Picklesworth
January 28th, 2010, 01:45 AM
I think it's pretty misguided of them to pitch this as an ebook reader “building on the Kindle's shoulders.” The Kindle has an e-ink screen, which is sunlight readable, easy on the eyes, and easy on the battery (personally, I can't stand reading on LCDs with batteries because I feel a constantly ticking time limit). 10 hour battery life or not, that screen does not achieve the same.

I signed the FSF's petition (http://www.defectivebydesign.org/ipad) on this one. Due to form factor, this device is more of a general-purpose computing device than the iPhone is. That particular centralized ecosystem moving into this realm is a risky thing. Granted, the other half of the thing is about DRM, which has nothing to do with having a locked down software ecosystem (and I, personally, am less concerned about), so that particular petition is probably doomed. It isn't a very well designed petition, being that it's about two entirely different issues.

Oh, and the iPad has a blatantly obvious UI design WTF: an enormous black bar at the top of the screen. That's 1280x25 pixels devoted to communicate the name of the device, the time, and the fact that you have a wireless Internet connection! I always thought GNOME's top panel was a bit empty, but this takes the cake.

Perhaps they should use that additional space to complement some of the less consistent gestures. I noticed quite a few of them during Engadget's hands-on video (http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/apple-ipad-first-hands-on/). I'm sure they'll be ironed out over time, but gee...
Pinch outwards to exit a playing slideshow presentation, but to exit an ebook you must double tap and then use the menu that appears. Meanwhile, you can pinch to zoom out of a playing YouTube video, but to make it fullscreen again you tap a tiny little button.

I like the idea of killing off fixed window menus (except for the odd function where they actually do make sense). User interfaces need to move beyond them; the tools to edit a given object make sense attached to that object, not at the top of the window beneath four layers of menu.

One thing I find really exciting: the well priced data plan without a contract (!!!). I have wanted something like that for a long, long time. I'm left wondering when I get this with an N900 or a Palm Pre. Obviously it's possible, so there aren't many excuses left for the nasty phone companies.

Frak
January 28th, 2010, 01:52 AM
I think it's pretty misguided of them to pitch this as an ebook reader “building on the Kindle's shoulders.” The Kindle has an e-ink screen, which is sunlight readable, easy on the eyes, and easy on the battery (personally, I can't stand reading on LCDs with batteries because I feel a constantly ticking time limit). 10 hour battery life or not, that screen does not achieve the same.

Kindle can't read PDFs. Guess who has a lot of PDFs in color.

I signed the FSF's petition (http://www.defectivebydesign.org/ipad) on this one. Due to form factor, this device is more of a general-purpose computing device than the iPhone is. That particular centralized ecosystem moving into this realm is a risky thing.

The FSF is just mad because every Linux tablet attempt has been a dismal failure.

Oh, and they have a blatantly obvious UI design WTF: an enormous black bar at the top of the screen. That's 1280x25 pixels devoted to communicate the name of the device, the time, and the fact that you have a wireless Internet connection! I always thought GNOME's top panel was a bit empty, but this takes the cake.

Once you launch an app, the app has the ability to replace that "black bar" that you dislike so much. For instance, the book reader replaces the bar with its own kinda-menu bar.

I like the idea of killing off fixed window menus (except for the odd function where they actually do make sense). User interfaces need to move beyond them; the tools to edit a given object make sense attached to that object, not at the top of the window beneath four layers of menu.

The reason why Mac's didn't have two buttons for the longest time (and still don't have them enabled by default) is because Apple's UX team wanted developers to make options blatantly obvious to the user. Developers, being as they are, not UX experts, protested at having to take the time to plan out the interface, and Apple introduced the right mouse button... again. They plan to make this like they wanted the mac to be in the UX: blatantly obvious.

One thing I find really exciting: the well priced data plan without a contract (!!!). I have wanted something like that for a long, long time. I'm left wondering when I get this with an N900 or a Palm Pre. Obviously it's possible, so there aren't many excuses left for the nasty phone companies.

I'm with you on that. I like the idea of a portable internet tablet that ISN'T a phone with a viewable screen.

Methuselah
January 28th, 2010, 01:54 AM
At first I thought iPad was an Apple house.
Wanna check out my iPad?

joebanjo
January 28th, 2010, 02:10 AM
*ehem*

It's not a netbook.

so remind me, why do we want it?

Icehuck
January 28th, 2010, 02:12 AM
so remind me, why do we want it

Why would you want a product that isn't aimed at you? It's a tablet computer and it's aimed at people in that market.

joebanjo
January 28th, 2010, 02:21 AM
Why would you want a product that isn't aimed at you? It's a tablet computer and it's aimed at people in that market.

but its not a computer. It works like an iphone. its for dicking around on. you cant really do anything serious on there.
Steve jobs even said "We don't know how to make a $500 computer that's not a piece of junk"

KiwiNZ
January 28th, 2010, 02:28 AM
but its not a computer. It works like an iphone. its for dicking around on. you cant really do anything serious on there.
Steve jobs even said "We don't know how to make a $500 computer that's not a piece of junk"

If you dont want it dont buy it ..... its not compulsory :rolleyes:

benerivo
January 28th, 2010, 02:31 AM
It looks like something you can pick up and handle like a phone, but at roughly 700g it's not something you want to drop! Does it come with a stand for desktop use?

KiwiNZ
January 28th, 2010, 02:34 AM
It looks like something you can pick up and handle like a phone, but at roughly 700g it's not something you want to drop! Does it come with a stand for desktop use?

Yes see attachment

SonicSteve
January 28th, 2010, 02:36 AM
*ehem*

It's not a netbook.

Is that what everyone is saying? If you're trying to be sarcastic it didn't fully come across. Not a NETBOOK? Look at the screen size, it's just apples take on the netbook with a touchscreen without a keyboard. Call it what you want. If you ask me it's pure crapple. I'm sure I'm not the first one use that descriptive name but it's fitting.

KiwiNZ
January 28th, 2010, 02:41 AM
Is that what everyone is saying? If you're trying to be sarcastic it didn't fully come across. Not a NETBOOK? Look at the screen size, it's just apples take on the netbook with a touchscreen without a keyboard. Call it what you want. If you ask me it's pure crapple. I'm sure I'm not the first one use that descriptive name but it's fitting.

Apple have never pitched it as a netbook.

joebanjo
If you dont want it dont buy it ..... its not compulsory :rolleyes:

well of course, but i assume that I'm allowed to point out problems with it. hell, i'm alowed to criticize it, this isn't soviet russia. But it seems to me that this ipad doesn't seem to do anything "revolutionary". It looks like an oversized, overpriced toy. It lacks the portability of the iphone (which i think is pretty amazing) and the funtion of a laptop. The whole "kindle killer" idea doesn't make sense, a kindle isn't supposed to have a backlight. its not supposed to be a screen. I cant read things on a computer screen for more then an hour. Your right, I don't want it, I wont buy it. I think it should be flop, but it probably wont, becuase of the apple users who want to complete their collection of (mainly) overpriced things. As well as the fact that with the ipad software especially (as well as most apple hardware) its completly closed. I don't like that, thats why i use ubuntu as well as computers that can be taken apart and upgraded easily, true, this doesn't work for everybody, but I don't like the idea of everyone walking around with a device in which a company has the final say on what it does, call me paranoid, but Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can't see where it keeps its brain. also, no multi tasking? its like, come on! i useally do at least three things at once, probably more to do with a short attention span then a need to do lots of things

Frak
It's for people that want to read the morning news on the Daily New Yorker while they're in the WC. It's not for people that want to compile all their software or "freedom or death" everything.

It's for people like me, who are very simplistic in their needs when they aren't developing. I really like it.

KiwiNZ
January 28th, 2010, 02:45 AM
It's for people that want to read the morning news on the Daily New Yorker while they're in the WC. It's not for people that want to compile all their software or "freedom or death" everything.

It's for people like me, who are very simplistic in their needs when they aren't developing. I really like it.

Exactly

I would use it as my third level mobility device . After my Macbook when I dont want to carry the Macbook around. For that it fits in well.

Icehuck
January 28th, 2010, 02:47 AM
Exactly

I would use it as my third level mobility device . After my Macbook when I dont want to carry the Macbook around. For that it fits in well.

Why do you have to make sense? /boggle

Tristam Green
January 28th, 2010, 02:51 AM
Good lord, can nobody read articles themselves, or does everyone just simply go off the hearsay of others?

"Does it come with a desktop stand" - for the last time yes, it has a keyboard dock.

"OMG it doesn't have a physical keyboard" - see above.

"It looks like an overhyped, underpowered, expensive netbook" - it's not a netbook.

"This can't compete with *insert random laptop here*" - it's not a notebook either.

Keep on being spoonfed by rms and the FSF. Goodness knows he'll probably have a couple stockpiled away for when he's on those long flights from Berkeley to Boston.

SonicSteve
January 28th, 2010, 02:56 AM
Apple have never pitched it as a netbook.

If they pitched it as a banana split would you believe them? Who cares about what something is pitched as. You be judge, what I see is a touchscreen netbook, no keyboard. Overpriced, underpowered, over hyped, aside from the cool factor this device offers nothing really special. It doesn't even have USB ports, I'm sure to connect external storage apple will sell some $100 accessory that everyone will think is cool.

AAAAHHHHHH, apple has so completely brainwashed people.

SonicSteve
January 28th, 2010, 02:59 AM
Good lord, can nobody read articles themselves, or does everyone just simply go off the hearsay of others?

"Does it come with a desktop stand" - for the last time yes, it has a keyboard dock.

"OMG it doesn't have a physical keyboard" - see above.

"It looks like an overhyped, underpowered, expensive netbook" - it's not a netbook.

"This can't compete with *insert random laptop here*" - it's not a notebook either.

Keep on being spoonfed by rms and the FSF. Goodness knows he'll probably have a couple stockpiled away for when he's on those long flights from Berkeley to Boston.

It's a netbook,
Steve ducks, looks around and thankfully remembers that this is just a forum.

SeanHodges
January 28th, 2010, 03:00 AM
Yawn...

KiwiNZ
January 28th, 2010, 03:01 AM
If they pitched it as a banana split would you believe them? Who cares about what something is pitched as. You be judge, what I see is a touchscreen netbook, no keyboard. Overpriced, underpowered, over hyped, aside from the cool factor this device offers nothing really special. It doesn't even have USB ports, I'm sure to connect external storage apple will sell some $100 accessory that everyone will think is cool.

You are right I have been brain washed

I really thought it had a i7 Quad core with 8gb of ram 1TB storage etc so I could compile software and manage large databases while commuting.:rolleyes:

So yes its missed the mark . It wont sell. :(

Frak
January 28th, 2010, 03:01 AM

It's a tablet, not a netbook. If you can't get that, see a doctor. It seems you're having trouble understanding simple concepts.

SonicSteve
January 28th, 2010, 03:04 AM
You are right I have been brain washed

I really thought it had a i7 Quad core with 8gb of ram 1TB storage etc so I could compile software and manage large databases while commuting.:rolleyes:

So yes its missed the mark . It wont sell. :(

Oh common KiwiNZ look at the specs. 1Ghz 16gb, 10" screen. If I left it there you would probably think some kind of 1Ghz VIA processor powered netbook. As soon as I say touchscreen, no keyboard apple you say it's not a netbook.

KiwiNZ
January 28th, 2010, 03:08 AM
Oh common KiwiNZ look at the specs. 1Ghz 16gb, 10" screen. If I left it there you would probably think some kind of 1Ghz VIA processor powered netbook. As soon as I say touchscreen, no keyboard apple you say it's not a netbook.

Give me a break

Its spec'd to do the job for what it is designed to do .

Sheesh

Its not that hard a concept to absorb.